Ice Tackle

Author
jman0998
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 46
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/13 18:58:55 (permalink)

Ice Tackle

Hey everyone. I'm looking to get some new lures and maybe a new rod for walleye, bass or even pickerel. Does anyone have any recommendations about what to get? This is only my second year ice fishing. 

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he has to buy a rod, a reel, line, sinkers, swivels, hooks, leaders, lures, crankbaits, live bait, soft plastics and bobbers.

8 Replies Related Threads

craveman85
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Ice Tackle 2010/12/14 07:45:55 (permalink)
    small spoons like swedish pimples, or you can just go with live bait.  hooks, some split shot, leaders, something to mark the depth on your tipup line.  i use small splitshot.  that way i can set the bait to the same depth every time.  a bucket and a sled are almost mandatory, small jigs, pliers, nail clippers, hand warmers.  a gps can really help too if you have a lake map.  cant go wrong with live bait.  ive noticed that i can use dead minnows on my jigging rod quite well for pickerel.  i learned my technique using my fish cam.  get the bait on the bottom on a jig and just barely wiggle it.  pickerel will look at it for a minute or so and then slam it.  ive had to wait up to 10 mins to get a bite.  ive found that jerking or lifting the rod more than a couple inches scares away 25x as many fish as it entices.  night crawlers can work wonders some times too.

if at first you dont succeed... blow it up.

you want organic? well then shut the &^$() up and eat a *$&#*( squirrel.
    jman0998
    New Angler
    RE: Ice Tackle 2010/12/14 11:49:50 (permalink)
    thats good advice. thanks CM. i've never thought of using split shot to mark depths. The main baits i use are rattlin rapalas, jigging raps, a little cleo occasionally, small jigs and jigs tipped with live bait. Ive got a bucket,  sled, pliers and line cutters but fish cams are to expensive. I usually use a medium action HT Shanty-Stix for pickerel and walleye but i'm thinking about getting a lighter rod for crappie and bass. When i tried night crawlers though they just got murdered by little panfish, especially on my tip-ups. Once again thanks for the advice

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and he has to buy a rod, a reel, line, sinkers, swivels, hooks, leaders, lures, crankbaits, live bait, soft plastics and bobbers.
    craveman85
    Avid Angler
    RE: Ice Tackle 2010/12/14 13:23:55 (permalink)
    i actually use a pop up hunting blind for a shanty.  its big enough for me to jig in and  assembles in seconds.  i got it on clearance last year for around 50 bucks.  dont bang the ice off your auger.  dont drill a hole and stick it in it blades down.  those things kill blades like napalm kills charlie.
    post edited by craveman85 - 2010/12/14 13:29:43

craveman85
    Avid Angler
    RE: Ice Tackle 2010/12/14 13:27:21 (permalink)
    oh i forgot one thing.  when im marking my depth to the bottom i use a sounder that i have connected to one of my jigging rods.  i hook the clip over the hook on my tipup line.  when i mark bottom on the tipup i wiggle the jigging rod and the sounder usually slides right off the hook.  that way i can send my tipup line down with bait and leave it down the first time.  what i did was took an eye hook and screwed it into the back of the sounder.  works great in 150 feet of water.

jman0998
    New Angler
    RE: Ice Tackle 2010/12/14 14:13:17 (permalink)
    Ok thanks for the advice. i dont think im gonna need an ice shanty though since the cold doesn't bother me and i don't fish for hours on end. also  for the sounder idea snyders lake only get's to about 45 feet at its deepest and i've fished that lake for so long (11 years) and taken boats out so many times that i know it better than the back of my hand  so that shouldn't be necessary

craveman85
    Avid Angler
    RE: Ice Tackle 2010/12/14 17:23:22 (permalink)
    well sounders also help get unruly suckers to the bottom quickly.

jman0998
    New Angler
    RE: Ice Tackle 2010/12/14 18:18:42 (permalink)
    cant you just add more split shot for that?

craveman85
    Avid Angler
    RE: Ice Tackle 2010/12/15 09:39:24 (permalink)
    i dont like to use a lot of weight.  i let them swim pretty much freely.

Jump to: