Fishing line

Author
mudding4x4jeep
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 3
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/07 21:40:53 (permalink)

Fishing line

Hello people out there can anybody tell me if theres a such thing and if so where can i get some. A guy told me who ice fishing on a nearby lake theres a fishing line thats carbon fiber and he uses it on his tip ups and such. Im wondering if there is and if its true that pike and other fish with sharp teeth cannot bite threw the line. He told me its very tough line and expensive and that fish cant bite threw it with there teeth ive done searching online all over and cant seem to find the line hes talking about. I have seen flurocarbon fishing line but nothing that was exactly called carbon fiber. Are they both the same or what. Is there a fishing line that u can use on fishing rods and tip ups thats strong enough so pike and other fish cannot cut threw it with there teeth and where u dont need a steel leader. Hope someone has some better knowledge then i do cause i sure wanan find out if theres a such thing. 

11 Replies Related Threads

pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: Fishing line 2010/12/07 22:00:53 (permalink)
    Seaguar Carbon-Pro Fluorocarbon Line??

mudding4x4jeep
    New Angler
    RE: Fishing line 2010/12/07 22:12:21 (permalink)
    No im wondering if there is a such thing as carbon fiber fishing line that fish cannot bite threw it such as pike. Is there a fishing line that u can buy to put on tip ups and reagular fishing poles where u dont need to use steel leader and the fish cant cut it with there teeth someone told me there is and its expensive and that u dont need steel leaders. And i was wondering if the fluro carbon is carbon fiber because i dont know im new to the idea and im trying to find out cause i want a line that i dont need steel leader and i heard there line out there that doesnt kink and curl and thats strong enough to not need steel leaders.
    D-MAC
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: Fishing line 2010/12/08 06:53:56 (permalink)
    Maybe look at salt water web sites, they certainly have to worry about toothy critters
    davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 980
    RE: Fishing line 2010/12/08 10:18:43 (permalink)
    I'm not sure if it's still made but some of the old Stren braids were touted as having Kevlar fibers in them. Could that be what he's talking about. It was priced similar to other braids at the time.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing line 2010/12/08 20:58:09 (permalink)
    I used Kevlar before switching to PowerPro
    It was a decent line

I don't think any braid works well below freezing 

HCsteel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 732
    RE: Fishing line 2010/12/08 21:39:42 (permalink)
    Marty the only time I think that would be an issue is when it is in contact with air? Only because the water has to be at 32 degrees or more. Unless its salt but that is not the situation. I don't see the problem with braid until you bring it up from the tip up.
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing line 2010/12/08 21:59:19 (permalink)
    Froze on reel

58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: Fishing line 2010/12/09 05:57:57 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: pghmarty

Froze on reel

+1...dead on. I though braid would be great, until I tried it. Not my preference.

"Boy, you should have been there yesterday..."
    fish whisper
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 529
    RE: Fishing line 2010/12/09 18:56:25 (permalink)
    just use tip up line, but not heavy just 15 pound
    mudding4x4jeep
    New Angler
    RE: Fishing line 2010/12/09 20:11:05 (permalink)
    Ya im just basically looking for a line cause a guy told me it was called carbon fiber and said that fish such as pike and such cant bite threw it because it a different tpe of line and alot tougher then mono fillamen line and you dont need steel leaders and the leader also tend to kink if you dont keep them straight i mainly fish where there is pike trout walleye salmon bass fresh water fish but i really wish there was a line that didnt need to use steel leaders. Typically the people fish around me they use mono fillament to fish for lake trout n salmon with no leaders or swivles tie the hook on but it would be great if there were a line i could use for all the fish i fish for n not have to take off the clear line to go fishing for trout and salmon cause its a pain n the neck n wasting line. 
    nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Fishing line 2010/12/12 07:27:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: mudding4x4jeep

Ya im just basically looking for a line cause a guy told me it was called carbon fiber and said that fish such as pike and such cant bite threw it because it a different tpe of line and alot tougher then mono fillamen line and you dont need steel leaders and the leader also tend to kink if you dont keep them straight i mainly fish where there is pike trout walleye salmon bass fresh water fish but i really wish there was a line that didnt need to use steel leaders. Typically the people fish around me they use mono fillament to fish for lake trout n salmon with no leaders or swivles tie the hook on but it would be great if there were a line i could use for all the fish i fish for n not have to take off the clear line to go fishing for trout and salmon cause its a pain n the neck n wasting line. 
          The  easiest way to solve this problem for me , was to tie on a barrel swivel  and then tie on 3-4 ft. of tippet / super line  of your choice.. that way you only loose your knot when you change  tippets
    Jump to: