Clean and Green Act

Author
easy1
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 64
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/06 23:10:18 (permalink)

Clean and Green Act

Everyone should read the Clean and Green Act. then read the Erie county web site property tab. You will find that quite a few property owners are posting land that they have agreed to allow access to in exchange for a lower tax assesment. This is all on the net if you look. It may really supprise you who some of these owners are.

11 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Clean and Green Act 2010/12/07 10:32:17 (permalink)
    I remember a couple of years ago one of the Pittsburgh news channels got on this issue. They would go out to these million dollar estates that were in the clean and green and have a picnic. Pretty funny watchin' this guy roll out his checkered table cloth and picnic basket, then seein' the owners come running out yelling...

I've always felt that the timber industry should be required to keep their "low taxed" land open for public use, but I'm not holdin' my breath...
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Clean and Green Act 2010/12/07 11:22:08 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: easy1

Everyone should read the Clean and Green Act. then read the Erie county web site property tab. You will find that quite a few property owners are posting land that they have agreed to allow access to in exchange for a lower tax assesment. This is all on the net if you look. It may really supprise you who some of these owners are.

Q. If I enroll in Clean and Green must my land be open to the public?

A In only one case. Under either the Agricultural Use or Forest Reserve
    categories you need not keep your land open to the public. It is only the
    Agricultural Reserve category that has this requirement. This is seldom
    necessary, however, since most land qualifies for either Agricultural Use or
    Forest Reserve.

http://74.6.238.254/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=clean+and+green+act&fr=yfp-t-334&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=clean+and+green+act&d=4710080330141109&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=49c909a1,a5aa4b5&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=XPh.ryZU_g09lUYyYLpwHg--

Another uneducated attempt at someone trying to "internet arm wrestle" over a steelhead.
    Baby Jesus help us all!

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: Clean and Green Act 2010/12/07 12:56:44 (permalink)
    Yep, I read that too last night on the Penn State pdf. regarding "Clean & Green", was going to cut, copy and paste; but getting tiresome disproving and debating over and over things that some people will NEVER get or understand because of their "I paid for the fish, I have a right to the fish" attitudes.

Thanks Ironhead

fish12
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Clean and Green Act 2010/12/07 20:28:26 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Ironhed

ORIGINAL: easy1

Q. If I enroll in Clean and Green must my land be open to the public?

A In only one case. Under either the Agricultural Use or Forest Reserve
    categories you need not keep your land open to the public. It is only the
    Agricultural Reserve category that has this requirement. This is seldom
    necessary, however, since most land qualifies for either Agricultural Use or
    Forest Reserve.

http://74.6.238.254/search/srpcache?ei=UTF-8&p=clean+and+green+act&fr=yfp-t-334&u=http://cc.bingj.com/cache.aspx?q=clean+and+green+act&d=4710080330141109&mkt=en-US&setlang=en-US&w=49c909a1,a5aa4b5&icp=1&.intl=us&sig=XPh.ryZU_g09lUYyYLpwHg--

Another uneducated attempt at someone trying to "internet arm wrestle" over a steelhead.
    Baby Jesus help us all!

Ironhed

Baby Jesus help us all!

I don't know if you wrote this to be funny but I thought it was hilarious!
    post edited by fish12 - 2010/12/07 20:46:25
    Ironhed
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1892
    RE: Clean and Green Act 2010/12/07 23:57:43 (permalink)
    Yes, the Baby Jesus statement was meant to be funny.  As for the rest of it...not so much.

Ironhed

Blacktop Charters
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Clean and Green Act 2010/12/08 10:28:39 (permalink)
    Like it or not, those "Clean and Green" type programs are financed by other taxpayers. If you want to accept the dole, there are and should be consequences. Crp is another program that costs us millions of dollars and we get little in return. Personally I don't really care about steelhead, might fish twice a year for them and let them all go. Also don't have a problem with people posting their ground, I have done it to mine. Just don't ask me to help lower your RE tax bill and then post your ground...
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Clean and Green Act 2010/12/08 11:31:16 (permalink)
    Bulldog,

These programs benefit you as a taxpayer. Agricultural, and open space properties are the only properties that generate higher (property) tax revenues, than services costs. Lets a significant amount of these properties turned into residential developements, and see what happens to YOUR taxes.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Clean and Green Act 2010/12/08 12:06:31 (permalink)
    Not sure I follow that reasoning. Timber ground is the lowest tax rate with scrub ground next and cleared farm ground being the highest tax rate for undeveloped acreage. I understand the thought that ground with nothing on it requires less services like police and schools, but they are still served by the roads etc. One nice house on 2 acres will generate more tax revenue for all of the taxing bodies than 250 acres of vacant ground. If what you're saying were completely true then local governments should be trying to stop any kind of growth.

Those programs have become something they weren't designed for. I understand trying to keep "green" spaces open (which was sort of my point, that they aren't keeping them open). I know people that have never farmed in their life getting checks of more than $10K for not farming their 100 acres. I don't begrudge them for taking advantage of what's offered. Actually now that I think about it, I know way more people getting those checks that never ever farmed than I do actual farmers. Besides, that reduction in taxes that they get will not keep them from developing the properties if it becomes economically advantageous to do so. I guess what I'm saying is that the programs, while they sound good on paper, aren't really necessary to keep open spaces and are being abused by larger corporate land owners as well as smaller individuals with larger tracts of land.

Noplacelikehome
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 774
    RE: Clean and Green Act 2010/12/08 16:12:50 (permalink)
    Bull, I LOVE the Clean and Green. I live in Central Pa. I have a house and 1 car garage on 3/4 of an acre. I pay almost 3300 dollars a year in taxes on it. I own 107.4 acres of land in Warren Co. with nothing on(all woods) it but 2 gas wells. I only pay 380 dollars a year in taxes(clean and green act). I have to pay for street lights and side walks in my township even though we have NONE!!
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Clean and Green Act 2010/12/08 16:18:14 (permalink)
    Get that property in the crp and you'll pay your taxes both places and still have spending money left over...

Last I can remember the crp was paying $106 per acre times 104.7 equals $11,384.40 per year...
    post edited by bulldog1 - 2010/12/08 16:19:52
    jonesy74
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 67
    RE: Clean and Green Act 2010/12/08 19:47:08 (permalink)
    Please let me know if I understand this correctly. If I own 10 or more acres of land that is currently stocked with trees I am eligible to some sort of tax discount for forest reserve?
    Jump to: