Helpful ReplyCenterpinning

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Kokanee Killer
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1015
  • Reward points: 0
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/04 22:03:08 (permalink)
the blinding whirrrrrrrrrrrr of a centerpin circa 1989 in fisherman lol lol

I have become comfortably numb
FiveMilePete
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1131
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/04 23:36:38 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: World Famous

From Ford Fairlane. Kinda catchy....WF

Guess you mean Gran Torino. Anyway, zipperhead is about is a very
offensive term to some folks. Just sayin'.
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/04 23:43:16 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: davisbarnes

So, I have been fly fishing for many years and still do, for trout, and stripers. I also carry my flyrod with me most of the time when I fish for steelhead, with 2 reels, one for swinging and indi, and one for bottom bouncing. But, last year I got a centerpin and was amazed at how cool it is to use. It gives great drifts, with excellent presentation, and in the time I have been using it I have only landed one foul hooked fish. Under most circumstances it is much more effective, and offers a real interesting way to approach the fish, with the ability to use the long rod, and different weight patterns to put whatever you are fishing (bead, bag, fly, or jig) in the zone. My landing % is also higher, probably due to less foul hooks, and a longer softer rod.
I never realized there was such a wide divide between fly guys and pinners, and find it amazing that so many people spend so much time worrying about what other people are doing. The whole idea of steelheading for me is to live in the moment, focus on the drift, learn new water, it is kind of a Zen like thing. If there are people around doing things that bother me it is much easier to move on than to worry about it. Rude people are rude people. Trying to change them is like trying to teach a pig to dance, it won't happen, and it annoys the pig, so why not just leave them to themselves, and go find fish. It is funny, in some areas Canadians are the bad guys, in some it is the Russians, but on the interweb it seems to be pinners. So far I find pinners more willing to help and teach than fly guys, maybe because they catch more fish, and are not quite as serious about it, less traditional or something. I am sure there are the same % rude pinners as there are rude fly guys, and spin guys, and noodlers (well maybe not noodlers...), and I am sure I will meet them the next time I am out. Now, driftboats, those guys **** me off.....

you deserve a standing ovation... we need to fish sometime
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 09:34:04 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: avidangler

I love to catch lake runs. I travel 120 miles one way to hit the pa tribs and more to fish ohio or ny, so i bring the most effective tactic i've found to catch fish effectively. I respect others personal space and can work a drift with anyone, of course i like to drift 3 or 4 deep if i'm fishing around shutupnfish

Fish Hog!!!

dru2112
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2265
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 13:20:14 (permalink)
no doubt, pinning can slam fish.  the assumption that it always (or regularly) catches more fish than a fly rod is most certainly false.  i have learned pinners say that to satisfy their own inner workings, whatever they may be.

i have pinned the sht out of erie's tribs for the last four years....and now realize that outside immediate lower elk, there is nowhere in erie to effectively use a pin, including exactly zero spots east of erie (and in PA).

the first day i took my pin up to erie i fished elk below rt. 5 (in december) and caught fish after fish after fish after fish, couldn't believe it.  this was after i had already been fly fishing for a few years.  as i began to become more knowledgeable about its technique i started to believe it's all i would use.  soon though, it became too easy, without a challenge....almost boring.  the last couple years, the pin has been collecting dust.

and for the record, i have never seen a pinner drift even remotely close to me from any distance at all.
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 14:36:24 (permalink)
I have rarely been bothered by a pinner in Pa. Years of dealing with Canadians at the Catt has taken it's toll. Mostly the guys that upset me are newbies that don't know any better. Even if you act nice and try to explain that if you can touch them with your rod, they are too close. They don't get it. Once again I'll say: "when a liscence is sold and you get the game sylibus phamphlet, the state should also give you a paper that explains common stream ettiquet."
Back to pinners. When you guys evolve like the cavemen did, you will look back and wonder why you wasted all those hours treating eggs,tying spawn bags, and carrying a towel to wipe the goo off, when all you had to do is open your nice fly box, pickout a pretty fly and tie it on. Probably the satisfaction of catching a fish on a fly you tied is different than catching one on a gob of eggs you wrapped in mesh.
glen
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 920
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 14:43:06 (permalink)
I heard the pinners outing next year will be called
THE ONE EGG
dimebrite
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3207
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 15:16:23 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: glen
Probably the satisfaction of catching a fish on a fly you tied is different than catching one on a gob of eggs you wrapped in mesh.

even better when you catch one on a fly you tied on the rod you built .... but for the pinners defense, beads or even flies are very productive under the float. keep in mind i said this to stir up the pot... is this post short enough for you glen???? LOL...
heyiknowyou
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1279
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 19:02:38 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dru2112

i have pinned the sht out of erie's tribs for the last four years....and now realize that outside immediate lower elk, there is nowhere in erie to effectively use a pin, including exactly zero spots east of erie (and in PA).

not trying to jump into this, but i've seen pictures of steelhead caught with a pin on the east side so it's not "exactly zero"... it's definitely AT LEAST one.

EDIT: make that "at least two", because i've seen them caught around route 90 too... and other places above the route 5 tubes but i'll leave it at at least two
post edited by heyiknowyou - 2010/12/05 19:05:59

go back to spain
11-12-11: the last time i got punched in the face
dru2112
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2265
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 19:07:03 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: heyiknowyou

not trying to jump into this

good.
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5028
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 19:07:11 (permalink)
He11 I watched Steely catch one on 20 Mile his first try with a pin rod....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

**commander**
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4216
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 19:17:40 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: dru2112

ORIGINAL: heyiknowyou

not trying to jump into this

good.

just sayin'
post edited by **commander** - 2010/12/05 19:18:26

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 19:31:28 (permalink)
ORIGINAL: bingsbaits

He11 I watched Steely catch one on 20 Mile his first try with a pin rod....

Bings - I thought we agreed to keep that one a secret... Just kidding- That was one hilarious moment!!! Good times!!! papinner is one heck of a coach!
Just had to add this pic of the special moment Bings is talkin about:

post edited by steely34 - 2010/12/05 19:53:03

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 19:51:59 (permalink)
Understand, 5mile, but with rude people, I don't give a dam if the are offended. They offended me....WF
HCsteel
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 732
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 19:57:27 (permalink)
I know guys that could catch a steelhead in any PA trib with a centerpin, it may not be the most effective reel for that body of water but if it floats their boat what do I care. I know there are spots on 20 where a centerpin would be much prefered over a spinning reel for drifting what ever bait one could choose. This is coming from someone who centerpinned, there are bad apples in every group of fishermen. The bad apples in the centerpin crowd just have a reel that can free spool 300 yards of line your way. The other thing some people need to consider is the experience of the centerpinner, it has a large learning curve to get everything down and can be a pain to manage everything at once. On the other side they don't have to ruin your fishing because of their inexperience. To end this longish rant, this year so far was amazing with the courtesy I have seen anglers have with each other. The one incident that irked me this year was actually from a guide and I think Deetz knows what  Im talking about. My 2 cents.
ShutUpNFish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3834
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 19:58:30 (permalink)
I'm proud to say that I'm not a follower....a puppet if you will

avidangler
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 835
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/05 20:34:49 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: dimebrite

ORIGINAL: glen
Probably the satisfaction of catching a fish on a fly you tied is different than catching one on a gob of eggs you wrapped in mesh.

even better when you catch one on a fly you tied on the rod you built .... but for the pinners defense, beads or even flies are very productive under the float. keep in mind i said this to stir up the pot... is this post short enough for you glen???? LOL...

Precisely, i've caught more fish on flies and beads under the pin then anything else this season, sure i throw eggs at times but less then half the time at most. I will say i started flyfishing when i was 11 years old, now i'm 27 and still fly fish, just not for steel anymore. Trout and bass only.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
darkness
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 26
RE: Centerpinning 2010/12/07 19:58:35 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: i like to drift 3 or 4 deep if i'm fishing around shutupnfish

I prefer to be closer to a 12 pack deep when I fish with him. His casting scares me...
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to: