Fast rods??

Author
neaphyte
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 101
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/05 08:58:20 (permalink)

Fast rods??

Recently I saw a post about fly rods and the various actions available. Tell me, does anyone make a truly slower action rod anymore?? Sage,Scott, Winston, Orvis all are so keyed into making faster,tighter, boomsticks. I think in reality here in the Northeast a slower action,more finessing rod is the ticket. When was the last time you had to punch a size 4 Woolybugger 90 feet into the wind, probably the last time you were on the Delaware.  I was looking for a salmon rod to travel with {4piece} and was willing to go for a moderatly priced Orvis,  or Winston even Sage. But in researching and casting various rods I bought a Redington RS3 909 4pce. It supplies medium action a powerfull butt, with ok hardware all for half the price I was willing to spend! Do you think the rod companies are out of touch or do so many guys require faster and more perfect loops. I dare to say most guys that have bought the new Z Axis {$650} for steelheading will never maxamize the rods capabilities becouse of the smaller water we fish or thier lack of experiance.
xis

16 Replies Related Threads

jlh42581
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1885
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/05 11:45:56 (permalink)
    I own two slow rods

Orvis Superfine - 4wt 7/11
    Cabelas Traditional - 8wt - 9'

Both purchased in the last 12 months

I have to wonder why guys want that fast rod. You often hear people say they fish 5-6x tippet, the slow rods full flex protects that light tippet.
    post edited by jlh42581 - 2007/04/05 11:48:58
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/05 18:32:59 (permalink)
     jlh,
    I know some people who firmly believe any "graphite" rod is way too fast.
    You just can't replicate the bamboo rods with graphite or glass.
    Now, I did feel the same way as you until I started fishing this one particular fast stick. 
    Shooting line and accuracy, there's no comparison. Not to mention hook setting capability.
     But, I do still like to cast the slower rods.

neophyte,
    I don't know what rod Winston has currently that replaced there old IM6 rods, but the rod had a strong following and even used ones fetch a god price.
    I think Winston and Scott still carry a short glass rod.
    I was chatting with CR500 and he was mentioning parabolic fly rods made from spinning rod blanks.
    There is always bamboo and there are probably more makers now than ever before.
     I just sold my Orvis Full-Flex for $50. (If ya would've only posted this last month  ) 
    I think the slow rod went the way of supply and demand. There just isn't enough demand.  

Gone Fishing
    M2Arms
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/05 22:14:25 (permalink)
    Scott's G series is their traditional flex line of rods. They are very nice, but can't compete when trying to cast a 40mph headwind on the Missouri (I lived in Mt... I know)

As for Winston, you can still get the 2-tip bamboo rods. I believe they will be the slowest that Winston makes, and don't worry about that $640+ price tag. I believe the bamboo goes around $2K+.

I have found a LOT of folks on the river brandishing flyrods for steelhead who didn't know what part of the rod to hold, but they had a flyrod and were quite pompous about it. When trying to offer advice, they wouldn't hear of it from a punk in a cowboy hat and barn boots toting a spinning outfit. What little did they know, but to snub their noses at a 30 year veteran of the floating line.
    neaphyte
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/06 09:03:41 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the input. I know there are slower rods out there. but they shouldn't be so hard to find. For instance Orvis makes one medium action steelhead/salmon rod {4pce) TLS series. This from a company with so much tradition. I believe in some advertizing slower action rods have been referred to as traditional action rods. Ah well too much ranting over nothing, thanks Dano,M2, and jlh I might just go and take that old Cabelas Lt I have and see what kind of shape its in. By the way I know I will convince myself soon I need to replace my favorite trout rod with another favorite rod and that Orvis Troutbum 804-4 looks sweet.  
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/06 11:53:56 (permalink)
    There are a number of blanks made that are slow in action.  And, they mostly are more inexpensiv bnlanks that are perfect for trout applications.  The Forecast 8' 4 wt 3 pc is one.  Angler's workshop has a whole series of blanks for those applications.  The ones mentioned above all fit 'slow'.

Also, a lot of the rods out there are being called 'fast' aren't actually fast, the are just underlined.  Take an 8 wt rod with a moderate action and call it a 6 wt extra fast.  Sure, it will feel like a broomstick.  But it really has the power of an 8 wt and a moderate action.

How many legs does an elephant have if you call a trunk a leg?

FOUR.  Just because you call a trunk a leg, doesn't make it a leg.

Thanks,
    Rick
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/06 18:57:33 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dano

jlh,
    Now, I did feel the same way as you until I started fishing this one particular fast stick. 
    Shooting line and accuracy, there's no comparison. Not to mention hook setting capability.

neophyte,
    I don't know what rod Winston has currently that replaced there old IM6 rods, but the rod had a strong following and even used ones fetch a god price.
    I was chatting with CR500 and he was mentioning parabolic fly rods made from spinning rod blanks.
    I just sold my Orvis Full-Flex for $50. (If ya would've only posted this last month  ) 
    I think the slow rod went the way of supply and demand. There just isn't enough demand.  

Winston replaced the IM6 with the WT. Its still the same blank, just a different name. The WT in my opinion is on of the best eastern trout rods made today. Winston, unlike other brands, still makes their "slower" rods with the same quality as thier "faster" rods. In fact, I think they are all around $650. Other rod makers market their slower rods as if they are of less quality than thier faster rods, and act like they are almost obselete.

There are a few rod makers that still make moderate action graphite rods of good quality. Thomas and Thomas, Scott, and Diamondback all make a softer rods that are top quality.

All actions of rods have their roles in flyfishing, but keep in mind that a soft rod will have trouble shooting 90ft of line, and a fast rod will not protect light tippet or fish up close very well. Many rod companies claim that there rods will do both, but anyone with some experience knows that is BS. Bottom line is...use the right rod in the right situation. No rod is superior in all situations.

neaphyte
    Avid Angler
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/07 08:25:15 (permalink)
    All you guys have made me think a little and bring to light good info.
    Drake has hit it on the head. Why can't I buy a good quility medium action rod for trout or salmon for $400. When I was looking for a rod last year for bigger water an bigger casts for steelhead I found half a dozen!
    formerguide
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 198
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/07 13:33:25 (permalink)
    The new Orvis Trout Bum rods are certainly somewhere south of med-fast.
    Someone above mentioned the Scott G2 series, which are about as smooth and moderate as a rod gets today.
    The Sage SLT is certainly moderate as well.

All rods have their purpose. Most anglers will, if given a broad choice of actions in a variety of rods, naturally choose slightly slower rods than they might have initially assumed (particularly if they don't know the names of the rods...)

However, a really good caster will probably get more out of a fast rod, and will have the ability to make it load up close.

Remember, a fast rod can be just as good in close, as long as your timing is impeccable. A slow rod will never produce sufficient line-speed for distance casting in the wind (now, I'm talking about extreme conditions, which few people will encounter.)

Fast rods certianly have their place, just as moderate-action rods do as well. I know of few saltwater anglers who don't prefer a pretty "fast" stick. There's a reason that an Xi2 has its place, just as there is a market for a Winston WT.

Tight lines,
    Dan K.

PS- I like the new boards. Thanks to FishUSA and to Dan
    racinray
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 162
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/07 14:10:02 (permalink)
    Dan,shoot me a PM on whats been up lately..See you are not at international anglers anymore...By the way the fishpond shoooting star is the rats arse!!!Ray

la Fish Hog
    bakes
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/07 16:47:08 (permalink)

jlh,

neophyte,

Dano,  Was the Orvis full-flex rod that you had a Silver Label 10 foot 7 weight?   I was just curious what your thoughts, likes or dislikes were about the rod for steelhead fishing?

Also, formerguide and casts or others who have a silver label full-flex,10' 7 weight, how do you like it for steelhead?
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/07 21:39:05 (permalink)
    No Bakes'
     It's an 8 1/2 foot 5-weight.

I do have a 2 piece, TL 10 foot 7-weight mid-flex (7.0) that I pull out for nymphing.
    It's a good rod that I'd recommend to anyone for steelie fishing. It can turn over a good bit of weight and I don't have any problem landing fish quickly on 4X and heavier tippet. 

My main rod is  a 4 piece Scott ARC 9 1/2 foot 7 weight. Scott says it's med-fast but I find it more progressive and forgiving than the Orvis at landing fish because of its less beefy butt section.  
     I originally wanted a Scott G series until someone sold me on the ARC.  
    I believe all of Scott ARC rods now only come as 2-handers.

Gone Fishing
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/07 22:15:26 (permalink)
     I agree with theDrake who said, "Bottom line is...use the right rod in the right situation. No rod is superior in all situations."  I have different rods that I use in different applications.

I recently purchased a Redington CPS 8 weight 4 piece fly rod, from FishUSA, that I've been using on those Buckeye steelies.  I like the rod alot.  It wasn't real expensive($279), a moderate/fast flex (more moderate than fast).  I'm going to use it on bonefish next month in Key West.

Good to see you posting again Formerguide!
    Ray, what is the Fishpond Shooting Star?

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/08 17:49:08 (permalink)
    I Googled Fishpond Shooting Star.  This is it pictured below. 
    I'm wondering why
    the color orange is creeping into more and more fishing equipment. 
    Could it just be a new marketed look for variety?

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    steelydaze
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 376
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/08 18:28:42 (permalink)
    Or maybe fear of being shot during hunting season.
    mgolf92
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 378
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/10 09:30:40 (permalink)
    Diamondback makes a glass rod called the "Diamondglass."  They have them at gander mtn in erie, and they are forgiving and slow rods, I imagine they would be great for smaller streams, dry flies, and small trout.  They have 3 and 4 wts and they sell for around 200$ I believe.  These may be something you would want to consider if you are looking for a slower rod.

Mike
    dano
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fast rods?? 2007/04/11 17:46:02 (permalink)

I believe all of Scott ARC rods now only come as 2-handers.

I guess I was wrong.
    They reintroduced them for this year only.
     The price is a bit steep.
    I paid 350 for mine but then I had an ad at Virtual Flyshop on the Wanted to Buy classifieds and got many replies.
    That site used to get a lot of traffic at the time.  
    Still a great rod that is much more medium than the rated med-fast.
    THe 7wt is a true 7wt. It has a lot of flex and shock absorption to protect lighter tippet. 
    It mends much line with ease.
    If the shops that have them  put them at clearance prices near the end of the year, you might want to check them out.
    Best steelhead rod I ever handled. IMO.

click here.
    http://www.scottflyrod.com/rods_classics.html

Gone Fishing
    Jump to: