to leader or not to leader

Author
Mags00
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 593
  • Reward points: 0
2010/12/01 23:46:57 (permalink)

to leader or not to leader

I was wondering if using a leader to attach the tippet is the better idea or go with a tapered tippet and no leader ?

11 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: to leader or not to leader 2010/12/02 07:11:33 (permalink)
    i make my own leaders with blood knots. if swinging, maybe 1 foot of 20, 5 foot of fisteen and then either 3 foot of 12 with a fly or sometimes only 1 foot of 12 and then a liter tippet depending on water levels and clarity. it all depends. sometimes even just a straight piece of 12 lb right off of a 1 ft peice of 20 right to the fly . i find it to be a waste of money to buy the tapered leaders; but keep in mind i fish bigger darker water than many of the other streams i see posted on here, so if you are fishing clear/smaller streams, it might be worth it to get a clear tapered leader. i advise getting one down to 8 lb. tip and then you can go lighter from there if you prefer with a blood knot or even a small barrel swivel and i mean small... good luck
    ...masterofnone
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 41
    RE: to leader or not to leader 2010/12/02 09:51:02 (permalink)
    [I think you mean "tapered leader and no tippet" and the end of your question.]  I always use some kind of tapered leader - it helps get the fly away from the bright (usually) fly line and get a few more feet on the cast.  The taper helps everything to roll out.  I know some folks that just use straight mono - especially with heavy stuff - and catch fish, though.  Once I start breaking-off, etc. I just piece things together with extra tippet (I guess what size I have remaining and taper from there).  A truer taper sure seems to help when I'm fishing small stuff and clearer water.  And you can always downsize your tapered leader with some tippet if you need a smaller or longer leader.  I use a blood or triple-surgeon's knot to connect the tippet to the leader.

Canst thou draw out leviathan with an hook? - Job 41:1
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: to leader or not to leader 2010/12/02 10:02:57 (permalink)
    Tapered leaders already have a tippet section. There is no need to add tippet to them, until you break off, or fray the tippet section. At that point, you'll need to add tippet to repair them.
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2986
    RE: to leader or not to leader 2010/12/02 11:22:26 (permalink)
    A tapered leader does help in turning over the fly which is helpful when you have to either cast into tight areas, turn over weight, and when accuracy is needed. A very open fly line loop would be needed on a straight mono leader of any type of length.  
    I do what dimebright mentioned in that I use a 2-3 pc. butt section. I either tie a loop of small swivel to that.
    Or sometimes I just use the front have of a knottless 9 ft. tapered leader if I find one I like.
    As for trout and dries, I tie my own, tapered every .002 to .003.
    Recently, I found a knotless maxima chameleon leader that lays out nice for a couple of short bamboo rods I have. On those leaders, I cut off last 22" and tie a perfection loop and add tippet to the loop when needed.  

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: to leader or not to leader 2010/12/02 13:25:13 (permalink)
    Hey Dano we definitely think alike. For the loop connection for tippet when fishing dries; does that loop weigh your dry down or even cause an unnecessary wake around it? Just curious....
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2986
    RE: to leader or not to leader 2010/12/02 15:20:10 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dimebrite

Hey Dano we definitely think alike. For the loop connection for tippet when fishing dries; does that loop weigh your dry down or even cause an unnecessary wake around it? Just curious....

Not that I've noticed but I loop near the middle of the mid section on tied leaders, at around 0X. I rebuild from 2X on down with surgeon knots. This gives me some adjustability.
    Important to keep the loops small, though.

On that Maxima knottless, It's a 4X leader and the loop is on 4X. But I'm mostly fishing small stuff with those rods so I'm looping on a peice of 4X, then tying on 5X, then 6X or 7X if needed.
    post edited by dano - 2010/12/02 15:26:00
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: to leader or not to leader 2010/12/02 15:49:25 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mags00

I was wondering if using a leader to attach the tippet is the better idea or go with a tapered tippet and no leader ?

you know what mags; maybe we should've asked you what fish you are targeting before giving you answers firt... duhhh... for some reason i assumed steelhead... what type of fish and method are you targeting?
    Mags00
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: to leader or not to leader 2010/12/13 23:28:54 (permalink)
    Hehe yeah I guess should have specified what type of fish, probably bass, bluegill, and mayyybbeee trout for now. Just started fly fishing about 2 months ago and still confused about the leader and tippet stuff, what I have now is a tapered leader and I tie the flies to the end of that. I have done some reading about the bass stuff and Im looking into a 6 wht. fly pole, which probably will be srictly for bass, and I'll use the five weight for trout, bluegill. I think that sounds about right.
    Thanks again for the advice any and all advice is greatly apprecitated :)
    Mags00
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: to leader or not to leader 2010/12/14 12:14:54 (permalink)
    Mags00,

Since your new to fly fishing, I would pay too much attention to building your own leaders as was mentioned earlier. For right now, you're better off buying tapered leaders. As I said in my earlier post, once you break some off of the leader use a blood knot or surgeons knot to tie on some tippet to replace what broke off.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: to leader or not to leader 2010/12/14 13:40:15 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Mags00

I have done some reading about the bass stuff and Im looking into a 6 wht. fly pole, which probably will be srictly for bass, and I'll use the five weight for trout, bluegill. I think that sounds about right.
    Thanks again for the advice any and all advice is greatly apprecitated :)
    Mags00

Hey mag don't waste your money on a seperate 5 and 6 weight unless they will be drastically differennt in length. Otherwise you wont see much of a difference.And drake is 100% right with the leaders since you are a beginner. Good luck.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: to leader or not to leader 2010/12/14 17:56:41 (permalink)
    I saw this youtube on the interwebs awhile back.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbcVaEe3RIs

Ever since then, I have no need to ever buy a leader again.

You can make custom leaders for heavy flies, light stuff, yada,yada.

These are simple to make as you sit on the couch watching TV - and they do a great job of turning over a fly.

Jump to: