1 vs 2 piece rods

Author
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/29 03:44:26 (permalink)

1 vs 2 piece rods

just finished an article in Field and Stream (Sensitivity Training, Dec-Jan issue) and it mentioned the St. Croix Legend Elite line of rods. Don't care how much OT I'm pullin in, $300+ for one rod is even a bit much for me. Besides, being the OC person that I am, I'd naturally have to have several in different weight categories (UL, L, LM) along with several wts in a fly rod. I would wake to find my nads in one of my tackle boxes. Now, with all this talk of hyper sensitivity, is any of this sensitivity lost in a 2 piece rod as opposed to a 1 piece? Or even a 4 piece fly rod for that matter. If you're paying this kind of money for uber-sensitivity, why sacrifice any of it on anything less than a 1 piece(I know this isn't practical in a fly rod). Just looking for some thoughts out there as I can't sleep on the most magical night of the year, deer season eve. Hopefully all the good little boys and girls will wake to find dead white tails tied to the hoods of their cars. Not dating myself too much there. Anybody still do that, or is it too PC now to drive across I-80 showing off your deer?
post edited by pikepredator2 - 2010/11/29 03:49:54

8 Replies Related Threads

glen
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 920
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2010/11/29 05:10:52 (permalink)
    It's kind of hard getting that 10' one piece in the back seat. Good luck with the deer.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6398
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2010/11/29 06:14:29 (permalink)
    I read in another fishing mag that with the new technology rods, even up to 4 and 6 piece don't lose enough to be tangable except in the ultra light weights. So unless you're fishing for brookies with an 8 weight (which I have done) extra "sensitivity" is a waste. If you want to detect strikes better; just hold the line between your fingertips. Just my opinion.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3247
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2010/11/29 12:04:02 (permalink)
    I personally like one piece rods for bait casting applications simply because I think they have a bit more backbone and I like the feel of them, but these rods are not what you would call sensitive; i.e. heavy wt rods for muskies.  They have fast action and lots of heft to chuck big lures and handle the larger toothy critters.  I also use these rods for casting lures like Gottcha plugs when I am at the ocean and fishing for blues and spanish or big chunks of bait for the bottom feeders like puppy and black drum.

I have had several one piece spinning rods in the past and they are fine, but I really don't think there was that much of a difference in the sensitivity of them and my two piece rods.  I will say, they were not the high end St. Croix rods.

One note about sensitivity, your line can make a huge difference.  Since I have switched to PowerPro I have noticed a big increase in sensitivity with all my rods.  So may want to experiment a little with a spool of line before sinking a ton of money in to a new rod.  Of course, a man can never have too many fishing rods, guns, knives or bows.  Just sayin'

pax vobiscum +
    Steeler Fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2010/11/29 13:09:28 (permalink)
    I like one piece rods when fishing from piers.  I watched my son's top section slide down his line once while pier fishing the Outer Banks.  He was lucky the line did not break and he got it back. He was was fighting a fish at the time.
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2010/11/29 13:57:26 (permalink)
    Steeler Fan,  I agree 100%.  I lost a rod tip on a pier once.  The line broke as I was making the cast, and the rod tip flew off...  All I could do was watch as it slowly sunk.

pax vobiscum +
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6398
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2010/11/29 16:36:51 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Bughawk

I personally like one piece rods for bait casting applications simply because I think they have a bit more backbone and I like the feel of them, but these rods are not what you would call sensitive; i.e. heavy wt rods for muskies.  They have fast action and lots of heft to chuck big lures and handle the larger toothy critters.  I also use these rods for casting lures like Gottcha plugs when I am at the ocean and fishing for blues and spanish or big chunks of bait for the bottom feeders like puppy and black drum.

I have had several one piece spinning rods in the past and they are fine, but I really don't think there was that much of a difference in the sensitivity of them and my two piece rods.  I will say, they were not the high end St. Croix rods.

One note about sensitivity, your line can make a huge difference.  Since I have switched to PowerPro I have noticed a big increase in sensitivity with all my rods.  So may want to experiment a little with a spool of line before sinking a ton of money in to a new rod.  Of course, a man can never have too many fishing rods, guns, knives or bows.  Just sayin'

Of course, a man can never have too many fishing rods, guns, knives or bows. Just sayin'

Ya need to add Cub cadets, corvettes, pick-up trucks, and tools to that one BUG!

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Bughawk
    Pro Angler
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2010/11/29 16:46:06 (permalink)
    I guess you are right.  If you are fly tier you can add tying supplies- hooks, thread, feathers, beads, various animal hides and hairs, plastic tinsel, etc....  OCD sure makes this a whole lot harder....

pax vobiscum +
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: 1 vs 2 piece rods 2010/11/29 18:20:53 (permalink)
    i've noticed a 2 piece to be more sensitive/loose. i have had identical rods in 2 and 3 piece, the 3 piece was definitely more loose.you can see it most with the blank itself before the rod is built. a 2 piece blank is always more stiff than a 3 or 4. i think indisguiz hit the nail on the head with pinching the line with your fingertips. for fly fishing pinching the line with your fingers, also watching the head of your fly line or mend pattern is what sells the take to me. now with all being said; what type of rod delivers the most keen awareness of a take??? a stiffer or looser rod? most consider a slower loose action rod more sensitive, but maybe a rod with a little more backbone will actually send more vibration through the rod for yor wrist to feel??? good questions. i think the pinching of line and line type plays most for sure... good luck
    Jump to: