spring flows

Author
LDD
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3138
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/20 19:52:57 (permalink)

spring flows

Already thinking about the next trip with the boat and I was wondering what the spring flows were like.  I'd rather run the boat with higher water (750 was great).  I'm guessing that flows can be real nice and fairly clear/green with the snow runoff as long as there is no big rain events? 

8 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: spring flows 2010/11/20 22:41:51 (permalink)
    The snow melt also puts fishes off. May be the road salt? Happens here too. Me & slayer have talked about it some.
    The Spring flows would prob. be mostly effected by snow pack melting. Just a guess...

Lyrical
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: spring flows 2010/11/21 02:00:35 (permalink)
    spring flows were low this past year; it all depends on snow fall amount and weather cuopled with timing. once initial snow melt begins salmo is right. water can become very clear but it also brings the temp down which i have found to be a factor in putting the fish down.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: spring flows 2010/11/21 02:01:26 (permalink)
    keep in mind though that low flows for spring thaw are 1800...
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: spring flows 2010/11/21 16:31:14 (permalink)
    Some say the melt cools the water--I think the real culprit is the chemical composition of the run off----3/4's of the vehicles in Oswego Co are leaking at least a qt of some fluid/wk.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: spring flows 2010/11/21 17:24:20 (permalink)
    or maybe alot of fishermen don't wash their hands after eating the french fries at the Altmar Hotel..

I like that place - good low-priced meal specials, but if your vehicle is ever a quart low on oil, all you have to do is squeeze a handful of their fries over the top of the oil fill tube on your engine....
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: spring flows 2010/11/21 19:01:46 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: metalslayer

Some say the melt cools the water--I think the real culprit is the chemical composition of the run off----3/4's of the vehicles in Oswego Co are leaking at least a qt of some fluid/wk.

a good joke, but highly doubtful if you are serious... the cubic foot of snow that melts in tug hill compared to square foot of roads is basically a one part to million ratio. besides, most of the run off comes from the east in the foot hills of adirondacks, not oswego county. oswego county run off is a peon of the water the salmon river recieves.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: spring flows 2010/11/21 21:23:54 (permalink)
    I know where it comes from-----BUT do you wash ur hands in gas b4 tying flies????

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: spring flows 2010/11/22 06:37:27 (permalink)
    as i said before, one part per million at most. i've noticed before hte final thaw begins, if it's a thick freeze, the water will actually warm before the ice starts to melt with the sun getting higher every day, and the bite is usually very hot at this time. as soon as that ice begins to trickle, the water temp goes right back down, which in turn as always shuts fish down especially when it was starting to warm and then drops instantly. i've seen many times too the ice mekt from underneath the river banks before any street run offs due to the warming water. and then what happens... the fish start to set up on their spawn which adds significantly to the shut down (in reality the main reason why they shut down). compare the surface area of the entire drainagebasin to the surface area of the roads that are within it... i would bet that the roads take up maybe .5 percent of the total drainage basin... then keep in mind the retention and filtration that takes places from fields, woods and trees that take part. as i said, one part per million at most... colder water temps and fish begining to spawn is the real reason; this takes place in any anadromous stream on any coast or lake... let's face it too, when the water goes up over 1200, the fish spread out as well.. fortunately i have spots that i have fished successfully up to 3000 cfs, but there aren't too many, and i don't recomend it to anyone who isn't sure of themselves or the water they fish....
    Jump to: