great trip

Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/14 19:21:58 (permalink)

great trip

Took my 10 year old grandson up Fri PM /sat/sun, his second trip in 3 years. Waited for water and temp to be just right as well as crowd conditions.
He landed two in three trips to the river and was pleased as a kid could be, We only took one rod with us as I wont let him more than a couple of feet from me even in the 600 or so that we enjoyed. After I **** near drowned in Mexico last year I'm a bit anal about it.
  The up top crowd is still there.  From Ellis to the bridge and it is NUTS at the bridge and thinning at Ellis. The other lots are well thinned- out even for this holiday weekend. We fished well below that.  Most of the fishermen I spoke to had lower numbers than they had expected for the past few days  but they all had hooked up.
   Saw only a couple of old kings and no hos this trip. Its all steel now I guess with a brown here and there. Saw two browns about 2 or 3 pounds each on a bed-left them alone.
Good fishing guys.

PS- WOW does this place slow down after the monsters are gone
post edited by retired guy - 2010/11/14 20:51:33

20 Replies Related Threads

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: great trip 2010/11/15 07:33:03 (permalink)
    thats great to hear retired
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: great trip 2010/11/15 07:34:57 (permalink)
    nice
    it was a good week end up there
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/15 07:47:02 (permalink)
    While fishing around the past couple of trips and speaking to guys on the river I was quite surprised how many said they read the forums and plan their trips based on the info they get.

BTW--was it just me or were the Ho numbers down this year? The places I usually go were lousy with them last year but not nearly so this year, they were definatley there but not like 09.
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/11/15 14:44:22
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/15 18:16:50 (permalink)
    well, it's all time and place retired... my father hit a run of hos down low in september where he stopped counting at 20 hook ups and fished all day with steady action... 07 was a stellar ho year... i was just assuming when i claimed alot of anglers basing trips on the forum reports... guess i was right
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/15 21:50:45 (permalink)
    Right on with the tips on the forum apparently- kind of makes one more careful about whats said.
    The thing that got me on the Hos was they were at my spot to spawn last year -not passing through- and there were definately less this year- unless they were real quick during the flood-last year however they stayed quite late and they were in abundance (especially the really large red sided males)

btw- heard the mounties were in LFZ checking for too much weight on Sat.
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/11/15 22:21:07
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/16 10:09:25 (permalink)
    and the numbers of guys who read the forums to plan their trips is why you don't ususally see reports that include alot of information

except when i post about kicking the crap out of them by the big willow tree in the DSR
    that hole is so awesome....i think everyone planning a trip should go there, always fish, always big runs, always constant action...and if you don't believe me, check the DSR website :P

btw, most guys are fishing too high up
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/16 14:03:55 (permalink)
    Hey Bear,
      I used to fish the DSR on every trip-did so when I had only one or two quick trips per year. It was the best bet for hooking up with limited time to fish. We got to the point where it was DSR in the AM and LFZ in the PM -for years.
    Now that I have a place up there I get around a lot more and have learned to fish many different places and enjoy the whole system a lot more. The numbers caught mean little to me- its the experience that counts.
    I believe the reason the Altmar area is so heavily fished is because folks are on a short time leash and feel they must go to where they believe the higher percentage of fish are.
    Havent fished DSR in a looong time but would still highly recomend it to anyone.

335 today -must be a bloodbath

post edited by retired guy - 2010/11/16 14:09:55
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: great trip 2010/11/16 16:07:35 (permalink)
    Not 335...they are running water at 500 until Friday morning,with the rain comming tonight it will be a bit higher.
    Fishing is slow and the lower fly is crowded...,don't anyone work anymore?
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/16 16:39:46 (permalink)
    Glad the report I read is wrong about 335 -500 is plenty low enough

Whoops-now they say 335 for tomorrow-must have read it wrong in the first place
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/11/16 19:28:28
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/16 20:00:07 (permalink)
    hey retired, try your ho spot next year or the year after... you will probably find what you're looking for... as for consecutive years; they might not always be in the same spot... but they will most likely always be where they were born if you know what i'm saying... to sum up the fishing situation; low water or whatever you wanna call it... the fish are there; but they are getting darker and smarter... fish i were hooking and landing 3 weeks ago are starting to maybe even winterize now especially with the water going down. sounds crazy but true. just give it some time and another fresh blast will come through. i'm expecting this december to maybe be the one of the best ever. can't wait... i love december chrome...
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: great trip 2010/11/16 20:00:40 (permalink)
    335 at 7 PM tonight,but it's raining hard here at this time.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/16 21:00:03 (permalink)
    Hey Dime,
      Know what you mean sometimes different years are almost like fishing for a different species. Wonder just how far apart  the genetics can get from group to group since they really do not breed with  the ones from the other runs of the same species.
      Some king runs for example have many more big fish than the next or the one before. Three years later---
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/17 05:50:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bigbear2010

and the numbers of guys who read the forums to plan their trips is why you don't ususally see reports that include alot of information

except when i post about kicking the crap out of them by the big willow tree in the DSR
    that hole is so awesome....i think everyone planning a trip should go there, always fish, always big runs, always constant action...and if you don't believe me, check the DSR website :

btw, most guys are fishing too high up

very true, but i'm starting to think even if you don't include details, peoples mouths still water and base their trip on your report anyway.
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/17 10:25:40 (permalink)
    yea i agree that people are trying to maximize their limited time
    i do the same thing

i was goofing around about the DSR, kind of an inside joke for anyone who knew me on the other site
    one of the guides there kept pointing people to the spot on the school house hole i like to fish so i would always brag up the DSR to counteract the pressure "my spot" got

i hav enothing against the dsr, i just won't pay what they want to fish it because there are so many very good spots on the river

btw, i know there are alot of fish up hig right now, but because of the crowds i havn't been fishing above pineville and we have been doing very welll
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/17 11:51:55 (permalink)
    you have the right idea it sounds like. i am a lower river man myself until it slushes up... then i target the winterized steelies with nymph patterns in the dead of winter... as long as there's no slush though, i primarily target lower river
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/17 11:55:04 (permalink)
    btw... although most don't like to pay for douglaston, i still refrain from reporting all the time because too many people think that if one does good in dsr one day, they assume that they'll do good up river from there the following days, which in my opinion is completelyu false. i've found many trout and salmon take their sweet old time when it comes to running the river. not all, but many... tight lines
    bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/17 12:54:35 (permalink)
    lol, they have fish brains :)

those coho's can be in the hatchery a couple hours after they get in, and some steelies never make it up there

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/17 17:33:38 (permalink)
    yes you are right with that, but i've also seen cohos run up to just above joss hole, then turn around back to estuary, then the next day do the same thing all over again... meanwhile everyone thinks dsr is lying about their report when in reality, the fish decided to go back. you can see them do this same thing in the estuary and even upper river. same with kings... every year i see many spawning salmon down low as well. for steelies... i believe many of them go back and forth all year long. i caught a few darker steelies just a few weeks ago down low and i mean real low... yes there are the text book behaviors, but just like everything else in life, you can't always go by the book. that's what makes it fun to me. i love fishing
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: great trip 2010/11/17 22:02:44 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: retired guy

Took my 10 year old grandson up Fri PM /sat/sun, his second trip in 3 years. Waited for water and temp to be just right as well as crowd conditions.
    He landed two in three trips to the river and was pleased as a kid could be, 

PS- WOW does this place slow down after the monsters are gone

Great trip RT - glad to hear Grampdad and his prodigy did well..

p.s. - I'm not a Monster - just a BBer.... 
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: great trip 2010/11/17 22:55:43 (permalink)
    Thanks Drake- Id rather see the kid get one than get a bunch myself.
    You miiiiiggght not be the monster I was talking about, but you know best.
    Jump to: