Anyone see this too?

Author
Claypool313
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 449
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/12 07:41:24 (permalink)

Anyone see this too?

Driving north on 79 Wednesday, just before dark spotted what looked to me as an albino deer.  Couldn't tell much more than that at 70 mph.  It was standing in a somewhat swampy looking area about 5-10 miles north of 80.

15 Replies Related Threads

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/11/12 10:04:31 (permalink)
    here's some info on albino and pie-bald deer which are also around here every now and then...

we had a pair (male/female) pie balds about a mile away two years ago.. everyone had seen them but NO ONE has heard of them being harvested ????

It seems that every hunting season I receive a call from a hunter who has harvested an all-white albino deer. And every year I hear many of the same questions: What causes this condition?" "Are such deer legal to harvest?" "How common are they in a population?" "Can they reproduce?" Many hunters spend their entire hunting career without ever observing these unique deer. And although I have never seen an albino deer in the wild, within the last 15 years I've observed six piebald or partially white deer. Let's examine these two color mutations and discuss the management options wildlife agencies use to determine whether they're legal to harvest.

Albino Deer--The eyes of albino deer always appear pink. This occurs because their eyes lack any color or pigmentation pigmentation, name for the coloring matter found in certain plant and animal cells and for the color produced thereby. Pigmentation occurs in nearly all living organisms. . Thus, blood vessels can be seen through the iris. More often than not, this condition causes sight deficiencies. As a result, these deer generally might stick to dense forest cover. Albino deer also lack the gene for melanin melanin (mĕl`ənĭn), water-insoluble polymer of various compounds derived from the amino acid tyrosine. It is one of two pigments found in human skin and hair and adds brown to skin color; the other pigment is carotene, which contributes , which generates normal coloration. Records of albinism albinism

Absence of the pigment melanin in the eyes, skin, hair, scales, or feathers. It arises from a genetic defect and occurs in humans and other vertebrates. Because they lack the pigments that normally provide protective coloration and screen against the sun's for deer are extremely rare, but it is believed that albinism increases with inbreeding. One unpublished record indicated that one in 30,000 deer are albinos. However, wildlife agencies do not generally record coloration data, and I think the unpublished report I mention may be a bit too conservative.

Piebald Deer--Piebald is the term given to deer that are brown and white in color, similar to a pinto pony. Unlike albinos, which do not produce any pigment, some of the cells in piebald deer produce a color pigment called melanin. Although rare, piebald deer possess a recessive trait that is more prevalent in overpopulated deer herds. This genetic condition typically occurs in less than 1 percent of the population. In the field, hunters are far more likely to see piebald deer than albinos. Exceptions do occur, but just like albinos, most piebalds are short-lived and usually have physical abnormalities such as short lower jawbones, roman noses, short legs, deformed hooves, and an arching spine.

It's important to note that some normal-colored whitetails carry the recessive gene for albinism or the piebald coloration. If a normal-colored deer with a recessive gene breeds with a piebald deer, the end result will probably be a piebald fawn. However, very few normal-colored deer possess this recessive gene (piebald). Limited research indicates that two piebald or albino deer can produce offspring. But again, long-shot odds that two recessive genes will come together is what makes these unique deer so rare.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/11/12 19:56:08 (permalink)
    I've seen two albino bucks and 4 piebald deer in my lifetime. I spent one whole archery season years ago trying to kill one albino that lived near me with no success. In fact my wife saw it more times than I did while she was traveling back and forth to town.
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3087
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/11/13 23:32:19 (permalink)
    Never saw an albino outside a fence.
    smally hunter
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/11/14 03:37:29 (permalink)
    the first year antler restrictions were introduced my dad put down an albino broken rack that had been gut shot , after calling the game commission to figure out the legallity of the shot, we were much remorseful to find out that if my dad in fact had taken the deer to the commission they were going to sieze his tag and fine him for the shot .. so he left the deer lay....

next day we pushed the same patch of woods and someone musta felt lucky because the deer was no longer laying there... (at least it wasn a total waste)

i can still remember this deer , it had almost wool like hair and the one spot that wasn white was the scent glands , wouldda made one heck of a mount
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/11/14 06:45:48 (permalink)
    There was 3 albino's mom and two kids always right off the road in cranberry every day. @ Myona and peters road. It's been a couple years since I have seen them there. The last time I seen one of them was the mom and she had a very bad limp. So not really sure happen ?????? BESAFEANDGOODLUCK

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    akitadog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 977
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/11/14 07:31:42 (permalink)
    i have seen 5 or 6 all white deer. im 35 years old. there are 3 rite now running around with in a 10 minute drive from my house. each 1 in a different area. the 1 area has had albinos for many years now. thats where i saw my first 1.
    Claypool313
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 449
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/11/14 08:54:48 (permalink)
    Interesting stories.  Well keep your eyes peeled for this one off 79 and let me know if you spot him/her.

This was not my first albino.  Quite a few years ago, 10-12 probably, there was an albino 6 pt who frequented a field near home in the winter.  When there wasn't any snow, you could see him in the field without lights.  Not sure what happened to him.

I've heard all the sayings and superstitions about killing an albino.  Everything from never getting another buck for the rest of your life to your camp burning down.  I personally wouldn't take an albino doe.  Piebald probably a different story.  And I won't pass on any buck that is a shooter to me.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/11/15 16:19:26 (permalink)
    I have seen a few abinos while hunting and hiking. Watched one all summer and found it dead one year in rifle season. Could of been one of the local two legged albinos that shot it.
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/11/25 02:11:29 (permalink)
    I shot a piebald doe a few years ago, it had blue eyes & clear hooves. Made a beautiful pelt when tanned. I USED to laugh at the bad luck tales until I shot that doe. I have had so many physical probs. since then I am starting to wonder now. sam
    ORIGINAL: Claypool313

Interesting stories.  Well keep your eyes peeled for this one off 79 and let me know if you spot him/her.

This was not my first albino.  Quite a few years ago, 10-12 probably, there was an albino 6 pt who frequented a field near home in the winter.  When there wasn't any snow, you could see him in the field without lights.  Not sure what happened to him.

I've heard all the sayings and superstitions about killing an albino.  Everything from never getting another buck for the rest of your life to your camp burning down.  I personally wouldn't take an albino doe.  Piebald probably a different story.  And I won't pass on any buck that is a shooter to me.

wayne c
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3473
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/11/25 09:21:00 (permalink)
    Uncle shot an albino doe many years back, right afterwards he hurt himself at work, had to have back surgery, he got a divorce, and his house burned down. All within about 3 years or so. No bs. true story... I think it was just ugly coincidence. I dont believe in superstitions, but he does, and said he'd never shoot another albino. lol.
    post edited by wayne c - 2010/11/25 09:22:10
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/11/28 21:56:48 (permalink)
    Saw a piebald in Albany County NY years ago during buck season. Try as I might I couldnt grow horns on that button while I watched.
      Saw a pure white albino while still hunting with the bow a year or two later here in Connecticut. Took me by surprise at a few feet in the thick Mountain Laurel,  thought it was a goat from a nearby farm. It just stood there quartering away from me. Didnt even know I existed. Woulda been a nice shot at about 10 yards. When it flipped its tail and jumped off I realized my error. Might not have been legal anyway since it was white-never did look that up. Heard it got hit by a car.
      Never saw another for 20 years till last year, saw a doe with 2 piebald fawns over by the state line near Danbury in the Summer. The piebalds are really neat looking animals.
    CRANKMASTER
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 256
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/11/30 18:33:42 (permalink)
    Thats right in my neck of the woods. It's possible cause there were a couple albino in the area a few short years ago. The gene could have resurfaced. But not knowing the excact location it also could have been an escaped alpaca. There is an alpaca farm right along 79 in that general area also.
    ORIGINAL: Claypool313

Driving north on 79 Wednesday, just before dark spotted what looked to me as an albino deer.  Couldn't tell much more than that at 70 mph.  It was standing in a somewhat swampy looking area about 5-10 miles north of 80.

JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/12/01 11:19:28 (permalink)
    We had a ablino doe on our farm a few years ago, only saw it that one year and never got a shot at it. Never say or heard about it after that season.
    I'd throw lead at any legal albino I saw, you superstitous guys are nuts, no truth to that.  
    killdeer19
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 654
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/12/01 13:33:44 (permalink)
    Only albino deer I've seen in the wild was shot my first year hunting by the neighboring farms owner. Nice little buck. only 4 or 6 points if I remember right. That was over 18 years ago.

Some people are like Slinkies...not really good for anything, but you still can't help but smile when you see one tumble down the stairs.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Anyone see this too? 2010/12/01 19:20:12 (permalink)
      Anybody seen any in Ct
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/12/01 19:21:43
    Jump to: