Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
2010/11/05 10:06:08 (permalink)

private or public ? ranges

..Home Pennsylvania News .Pennsylvania: PGC may charge for use of ranges
StoryComments (1)ImageShare This
ShareSend this page to your friendsPrintCreate a hardcopy of this pageFont Size:Default font sizeLarger font size
.Posted: Thursday, October 7, 2010 12:00 pm | Updated: 11:28 am, Thu Oct 7, 2010.

By Bob Frye Capital Correspondent | 1 comment

Harrisburg - The Pennsylvania Game Commission has 29 pubic shooting ranges on game lands across the state, and all have one thing in common.

It's not their capacity. Some are set up for rifles only; some have rifle and pistol ranges. It's not their design. Some offer rifle shooters 300-yard ranges; some 25-yard ranges. It's not their distribution. The southwest region has 10 ranges; the southcentral just one.

It's their cost. Shooters can use each and every one of them free of charge.

That may be changing.

Pennsylvania Game Commissioners just wrapped up their fall meeting, held Oct. 4 and 5 in Wilkes-Barre. One of the items up for consideration was a proposal to start requiring shooters to buy either a hunting license or a commission-issued $30 annual shooting permit before they could use any of the ranges.

"The commission is proposing to regulate unlicensed recreational shooters to accomplish the twin goals of having those unlicensed persons contribute toward the cost of the program, and to better quantify and control use of game lands and game lands ranges," reads the board's agenda.

"It's something that's been discussed periodically over the years," said commission spokesman Jerry Feaser.

And even if the proposal passed, that approval is just preliminary.

Commissioners would have to approve the measure a second time in January, after the public has had a chance to comment on the idea.

But there is, some believe, good reason to approve the measure.

Though they are located on state game lands, commission shooting ranges attract more than just hunters.

The commission does not have a lot of data on who uses its ranges and whether they are hunters, at least not systemwide.

"We have no sign-ins, no records, way or monitoring things," Feaser said.

But the commission has periodically collected that kind of data at its range on State Game Land 203 near Wexford in Allegheny County. It's very busy.

"I know some people in the eastern part of the state might disagree, but it's arguably the busiest shooting range in the state because it's so close to an urban area," said Gary Fujak, a wildlife conservation officer with the commission in Allegheny County.

And lots of those shooters are non-hunters.

Some calculations done at the range in 1996 and again in 2002 found that, in both years, about 50 percent of the shooters using the range were non-hunters, said Barry Zaffuto, land management supervisor in the commission's southwest region office.

"I know that use of the range went up significantly between 1996 and 2002, and still the number of non-hunters using it stayed above 50 percent," he said.

The commission has never had a permit system in place for its ranges before. Some new factors have come into play, however, Feaser said

First, the cost of maintaining the ranges has been significant lately.

Over the last five years or so the commission has spent several million dollars to upgrade safety barriers, improve range design and remove decades of lead in the form of fired bullets.

Second, the agency has also been spending more time and money as time goes on patrolling the ranges, as they have increasingly been used for "illicit activities" that range from vandalism on up to more serious crimes.

Some federally-owned public ranges have even been used by alleged terrorists as training grounds.

The commission had to permanently close the range on State Game Land 285 in Beaver County within the last few years, in fact, because of criminal abuse.

"At one time, when I started with the agency, we never wrote any citations for the ranges. Now, it's common," Zaffuto said. "We've had to start patrolling them on a regular basis.

"It's increased our workload, both on the law enforcement and land management ends."

Feaser said the permits would likely be sold through the same point-of-sale system used to sell hunting licenses.

If commissioners approve the proposal, the change could go into effect before next year.

But after having been considered for a while, it's an idea under consideration, Feaser said.

"I just think some people are starting to think that we need to get a handle on this," Zaffuto said.

24 Replies Related Threads

Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/05 10:19:21 (permalink)
    Funny.. you threathened to sue me for posting your bull articles on message board but have no problem posting an article of Bob's .... interesting... ????
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/11/05 10:20:31
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/06 06:02:32 (permalink)
    I personally would have no issue with it and probably most legal hunters will not either.

I grew up just a few miles from the Allegheny County range mentioned in the article. That range at times was a joke. There were several times that when I arrived to shoot, or was there shooting, guys showed up drunk, were drinking while shooting, were obviously gang members, and the list goes on. Several times I picked up and left becuase of some of the crap going on and general unsafe acts. Not that a permit is really going to change that but may be the increased patrolling will.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    PymieCaster
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/06 09:38:44 (permalink)
    Last time I was there an attendent was there seems to me you had to sign in too and to my undrestanding there was to be no automatic weapons allowed? it was starting to be over ran with gang members
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/06 16:44:18 (permalink)
    That could be, it has been 15+ years since I have been to that range. On one of my last trips there 3 guys showed up, all were obviously gang members. One had an AK, one had a shotgun, all had semi automatic pistols.

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/09 23:37:34 (permalink)
    I have never threaten to sue anyone. LMAO, KEEP FISHING !!!!
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/10 08:38:43 (permalink)
    Now, if the PGC would just expand that program -- buy a hunting license of a $30 permit -- to use the game lands that we all bought by those that never spent a nickle on them, I would see that as a good thing.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/10 12:31:02 (permalink)
    +1 ^

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/10 12:42:16 (permalink)
    Not a bad idea. but if the hunter has to shell out $30 bucks he may as well join a private club which has much more to offer and you won't be hassled by the PGC.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/10 14:07:59 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Outdoor Adventures

Not a bad idea. but if the hunter has to shell out $30 bucks he may as well join a private club which has much more to offer and you won't be hassled by the PGC.

I beleive it read buy a hunting license OR buy a $30 permit -- not both.

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/10 15:03:29 (permalink)
    What will be next? A $30 permitt to enter the Game Lands ? $$$$$$$$$$
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/10 20:04:32 (permalink)
    Oa... sorry.. I thought you were Jim Slimesky, outdoor writer ... since you never did tell us who you really are..

are you even a outdoor writer or just pretending to be one...

I see now my error, you did not respond to my posts about links to articles you wrote..

I guess you are not that angry american ... just posted a link to his "bull"

SORRY for the mix up ...!!!!

I'll just ignore you and your posts from now on like a few others here ...... I am learning how to cope on this site..
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/11/10 20:07:24
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/10 20:13:57 (permalink)
    I knew you had no clue. It is not safe now days to give out your idenity over the internet. The internet is full of wackos. I'll tell Jim you said hi !
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/11 07:41:13 (permalink)

What will be next? A $30 permitt to enter the Game Lands ? $$$$$$$$$$

Not if you have purchase a hunting license.  But I see nothing wrong with those that do not purchase a hunting license having to pay a $30 permit fee to use the game lands that were purchased through the money from hunting licesnes.

Again, its a smal word -- OR

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/11 12:50:30 (permalink)
    Can I also use the $40,000 + vehicles the PGC bought with my licence money ?
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/11 13:10:45 (permalink)

Dude, come off the vehicle thing. What do you want WCO's to drive? Some used POS?

Support your local Fly Shop!

OHWM
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/11 17:31:20 (permalink)
    It's ridiculous what the game commission spends on vehicles. What wrong with a basic pickup or a jeep instead of a Ford Expedition that cost over 40 K ? That's what my problem is. And then they have the B*lls to cry broke. Instead of buying a basic vehicles to cut costs they buy luxury trucks. They say they need to cut cost show me. Don't discontinue youth programs and eliminate the 800 number to file a complaint to name a few. That's what I'm talking about DUDE ! Need some pics to go with that? I be more than glad to post them.
    ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

Dude, come off the vehicle thing. What do you want WCO's to drive? Some used POS?

post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2010/11/11 17:40:09
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/11 17:38:30 (permalink)
    No, I know what they drive. Basic pickups are not suited to LE work. You need more space for gear, and someone to secure suspects. 4wd+gear storage+room for driver and suspects= SUV. jeep Grand Cherokees will work, but a new Grand cherokee with all the same LE upgrades won't be much cheaper.

OHWM
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/11 17:46:11 (permalink)
    I kinda figured you would have an excuse. There are many fleet vehicles they could buy including four and six seater's that are not a luxury vehicle. The PGC has become to FAT .
    ORIGINAL: SonofZ3

No, I know what they drive. Basic pickups are not suited to LE work. You need more space for gear, and someone to secure suspects. 4wd+gear storage+room for driver and suspects= SUV. jeep Grand Cherokees will work, but a new Grand cherokee with all the same LE upgrades won't be much cheaper.

**commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/11 23:41:30 (permalink)
    jeep cherokees used to be the norm...but they dont sleep 6. those crew cab municipal trucks would be perfect. the motor runs all day(the air is cold and the heaters hot) and the seats were worn but they have low miles. just sayin'
    post edited by **commander** - 2010/11/11 23:57:02

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/12 05:35:18 (permalink)
    Doc wrote= Oa... sorry.. I thought you were Jim Slimesky, outdoor writer ... since you never did tell us who you really are..

I see now my error, you did not respond to my posts about links to articles you wrote..

Don't feel too bad OA, Doc is famous for accusing anyone who dares to come out against PGC policies of being members of that dreaded USP organization. He can't come to grips with the fact that a very large number of Pennsylvanias citizens don't like many of the things the PGC has done lately. He and the PGC think we should keep quiet and swallow whatever they feed us. They are a lot like Obama and the liberals and will probably suffer the same fate if they continue. Between your site and this one how many of us have you accused Doc, 8-10 or have I missed a few?
    post edited by S-10 - 2010/11/12 05:44:15
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/12 09:20:19 (permalink)
    I understandwhat you are saying. Looks like they locked the achery thread "equipment test tonight". Was it something I did ?
    ORIGINAL: S-10

Doc wrote= Oa... sorry.. I thought you were Jim Slimesky, outdoor writer ... since you never did tell us who you really are..

Don't feel too bad OA, Doc is famous for accusing anyone who dares to come out against PGC policies of being members of that dreaded USP organization. He can't come to grips with the fact that a very large number of Pennsylvanias citizens don't like many of the things the PGC has done lately. He and the PGC think we should keep quiet and swallow whatever they feed us. They are a lot like Obama and the liberals and will probably suffer the same fate if they continue. Between your site and this one how many of us have you accused Doc, 8-10 or have I missed a few?

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/12 09:47:25 (permalink)
    What gear? Is the PGC equipped with SWAT gear they need to take. Explain gear. As far as price who are you trying to convince? Yourself?
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/12 21:29:10 (permalink)

What gear? Is the PGC equipped with SWAT gear they need to take. Explain gear. As far as price who are you trying to convince? Yourself?

It is actually pretty obvious that you don’t have any idea what you are talking about.

In my expedition there is a tranquilizer rifle because I frequently need it for immobilizing anything from bears to elk to deer. Along with that there is a large tackle box that contains the darts, various ear tags, crimping pliers, etc. There is large action packer that contains jumper cables, tire chains and a tow chain because those things are also needed on various occasion. There is another action packer that contains a chain saw, an axe and a bow saw because I frequently need to get into the back woods roads where trees have fallen since anyone was there last. Then there is a first aid kit, a fire extinguisher, a box of flares and an emergency blanket because we often find our selves first on the scene at traffic or hunting accidents or any number of other such scenes. There is a long jab stick used for tranquilizing bears in culvert traps and a long snare pole used for controlling various wildlife we have to handle in everything from foothold traps to those inside houses or other building when they shouldn’t be. There is a metal detector, an evidence tackle box and a backpack with an evidence kit in it, for when I need to collect evidence back in the woods away from my vehicle. During the winter there might be a set of snowshoes if the snow is deep enough to need them.

Then when I go to do a hunter/trapper education class I have to take most of that stuff out so I have room for two LARGE six foot long trunks loaded with hunter education guns and other training equipment. Besides that equipment there are several large boxes of manuals, digests, tests and other handouts. There are projectors, a computer and a screen that is close to seven foot long. All of that just for hunter education and there have been times when I had to make two trips to get it all there because even my Ford Expedition was too small to haul it all in one trip.

I also have to move bear traps around all the time and some of them have large bears in them. I have to pull a trailer with dead elk on it that often weigh close to half a ton or even more if I have more than one elk on the trailer. Sometimes I have to pull a display trailer to thing like a fair or other exhibit event that is almost too heavy to pull even with an Expedition.

Then there is the fact that sometimes I have another Officer in my vehicle and we have to take a person or two into custody and transport them to a police barracks, a Judge or to jail. The passenger compartment of my vehicle contains a law book, two flashlights, a police style shotgun and a radio console with a panel for the lights and siren. There is a container that holds a selection of metal holders used for writing field information reports, citations, warnings, etc. There are two brief cares that hold various types of paper work used from law enforcement to collecting biological data used while processing dead bears, elk, bobcat and a host of other frequently used forms. There is a portable file folder that holds maps, a phone book, citations needing filed, active investigation folders, handout for the public, etc. There are also coats, jackets, rain gear, orange vests, hats and a law enforcement Stetson and its protective case behind the driver’s seat.

In fact even with a Ford Expedition the garage that does my maintenance tells me that I am putting to much weight in the back of my vehicle and that it isn’t made to handle that much weight. I have has smaller vehicles in the past and believe me that didn’t save anyone any money because they were just too lightweight to handle the type of materials we needed to haul. When I needed to pull a trailer I had to go to the game lands building and try to get a Food and Cover truck, provided they weren’t using it at the time. I had to have a trailer and tarp to haul the hunter ed materials and even that didn’t work very well if it was raining because the water still somehow got into the equipment.

I have also had a coupe pick up trucks and that worked but everything you put in the back was a mess from all the dust that leaked into the back since a very high percentage of our travel is over dusty or muddy back roads.

I agree that in some of the metropolitan districts lighter weight vehicles might work but in these mountainous districts where we spend more time on dirt roads then we do on pavement a lower quality vehicle is going to cost a lot more money in maintenance and ultimately in replacement costs. That has already been proven in the past when we were running lower priced and lower quality vehicles and was in fact the very reason they went back to larger vehicles.

R.S. Bodenhorn                   
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    RE: private or public ? ranges 2010/11/12 21:56:21 (permalink)
    When you've got a pickup as a duty vehicle you have to have a cab on it, or all of your gear will get stolen. So now you've got a cab on it, so you can only reach 3 feet into the bed of the truck, or try to climb in under the cab and over your gear to the things in the back. Pickups stink.

OHWM
    Jump to: