Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!!

Author
YankeeAngler
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 184
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/24 16:19:45 (permalink)

Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!!

Hello again everyone!
We are finding older Salmon (Kings - Hoes) and a bunch of fresh run Steelhead and Browns.
Top to bottom of river.
All transitional as well as prime holding waters (for this time of year and flow) are hold'n Trout  :)
Some Browns moving to there Nov. places.
Some trout holding behind spawning fish, over the normal gravel area;s.
Also, many trout holding in 3-5 feet of normal rippled - white airraited water.
It will only get but'a!
Plenty to go around.
Cant wait to see you all up once again!
Best of luck,
Best Fish's,
Randy
www.yankeeangler.com

12 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!! 2010/10/24 19:52:04 (permalink)
    Cool.

Lyrical
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!! 2010/10/24 20:25:44 (permalink)
    Randy, how was the fishing above Pineville on Saturday?

bigbear2010
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 859
    RE: Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!! 2010/10/24 20:44:40 (permalink)
    what he said
    saturday was slow up altmar way
    enough action to keep you interested, but not on fire
    saw as many steelies and browns caught as salmon
    there seems to be a lot of steelies this year

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!! 2010/10/24 21:41:01 (permalink)
    Dudes- it sucked. Pay attention.

Stick around Randy. Add some pics. too, since none of us can catch a fish.

Lyrical
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!! 2010/10/24 21:48:18 (permalink)
    Dont know about actually sucking but from what I saw Sunday and heard didnt really happen much on Saturday one might conclude that a Lovelace could certainly have ocured up there.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!! 2010/10/24 22:04:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: salmotrutta

Dudes- it sucked. Pay attention.

Stick around Randy. Add some pics. too, since none of us can catch a fish.

Speak for yourself---lol

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!! 2010/10/25 11:55:59 (permalink)
    Hello all,
    Thank you for welcoming me back after a couple years of taking a break from all this work!  :)
    -
    On Friday, we fished from Altmar to Pinneville and hit all combinations of fish in all combinations of area's - habitat. (transitional and holding) - (Salmon and Steel :)
    -
    We were 100% on all (5) spots fished. Its great - easy to be a guide on these so called, "SALAD" days :)
    -
    As posted above, we have fresh Steelhead and browns top to bottom of river with a bunch more arriving and running the river daily, as many of you already know.
    -
    Great time to wet a line!
    -
    Best Fish's, to you all,
    Randy
    www.yankeeangler.com - Fishing Reports, Tips, articles, Etc....
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!! 2010/10/25 13:30:34 (permalink)
    Hey Yankee,
     Glad to have your input. As one who has fished there for about 30 years and now has a second home there I still need all the help I can get. I have never fished the river from a boat or with a guide but would strongly suggest it. It could clearly save years on the learning curve.
       Unfortunately reports from one who has such intimate knowledge of the river, and is able to experience in one drift what could take the rest of us a week of trial and error, is not always going to be the same report the rest of us may enjoy. Not meant to diminish in any way- just to point out that this is another kind of report and fishing and may be very different from what a "walker" may experience on a trip.
       Dont know how often I have fished a slow place only to hear that the day before or after it was HOT as pods of fish pass through. Guess thats the kind of stuff that keeps us coming back. Gotta love it.
    YankeeAngler
    Avid Angler
    RE: Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!! 2010/10/25 19:21:03 (permalink)
    Hy Guy,
    Enjoyed your comments and Q's.
    Soooo, I totally understand your and many other experinced anglers concerns.
    As I've posted above, are ALL (habitat's) area's that a wade angler can easily access.
    Sure, w/ a boat I can simple pull angler and move on if a prime holding and or prime trasitioanl spot is already taken.
    -
    BUT!
    For the next 4 weeks, please try the transitional holding waters. These are area's that are not heavily populated and WILL be holding trout!
    -
    Most anglers as you know, want to fish the holding pools. (more crowded)
    So I would highly reccommend not fishing them and getting away from the normal Steel crowd and target these PRIME transitional waters, top to bootom of river.
    -
    Im sure you and all of the rest of the expert S.R. anglers already know all this stuff. But, felt it may be an option that some may be overlooking?
    -
    Anywaaaaaaays, Best of luck, good fishing to all,
    Best Fish's,
    Randy

draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!! 2010/10/25 19:27:39 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: YankeeAngler

Im sure you and all of the rest of the expert S.R. anglers already know all this stuff. But, felt it may be an option that some may be overlooking?

I'll be up all next week Randy..

Hoping for some good rain this week to raise the water. I've got the itch to fish Puckerbrush Creek..
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!! 2010/10/25 19:38:27 (permalink)
    Very good advice Randy. I wish I could get back up soon. I couldn't entice anything but Salmons my last trip up last week. I saw plenty of Steel jumped, just not by me.

Lyrical
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Salmon River Pulaski, NY - Steelhead - Ye-Haa!! 2010/10/25 20:15:13 (permalink)
    Right on Randy,
     I rarely if ever fish those big "popular" pools that all have parking lots of thier own and names. Id rather get skunked ( a common problem for me) fishing smaller more fun water.
    Jump to: