Practice Makes Perfect

Author
mohawksyd
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 854
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/19 00:17:16 (permalink)

Practice Makes Perfect

Well, my big plans to fish Erie or even Catt Ck got shot in the kiester this weekend when work got in the way. The new rod will have to wait another week before it gets its maiden drift. Still managed to take advantage of the beautiful weather and get out for a few hours and fish Kinzua DHALO.

Though there wasn't another soul on the water, I didn't want to fish where I knew they were...I wanted to hit where they "should be." Came upon a decent run with a little depth and some decent flow. Drifted a black stonefly and had a few chasers, but nothing committal. Then I saw fish taking off the top. Stared at the water long and hard but I had no idea what they were rising for. Tied on a small elk hair caddis and WHAM.

That felt good.

Stood in that spot for three hours. When the top bite quieted, I went to nymphs and egg patterns. Took all the good advice I received earlier in the week and worked on casting, weight, drifting, swinging. Had a ball. There was a big brown monster darting in and out from under a log, but he wasn't buying anything I was selling. But the rainbows were en fuego and five fish later, I called it a weekend, headed back to camp, packed up and happily made the drive home. All fish released in the hopes of meeting them again some day.

The only thing missing were my fishin' buddies. Hopeful to get one more father-son-grandson outing in before winter...

"For the supreme test of a fisherman is not how many fish he has caught...but what he has caught when he has caught no fish." - John H. Bradley

3 Replies Related Threads

rippinlip
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2146
    RE: Practice Makes Perfect 2010/10/19 07:12:20 (permalink)
    Nice

You should have been here yesterday.............. Streams are made for the wise man to contemplate and fools to pass by [Sir Izaak Walton]
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Practice Makes Perfect 2010/10/19 08:03:14 (permalink)
     sometimes that lone time gets you in a mood to practice instead of feeling like you have to compete with others. glad to hear you made'em rise!  

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Practice Makes Perfect 2010/10/19 09:13:41 (permalink)
    Way to go syd.
    Sounds like a great time...
    The solo trips are fun too...
    gives time concentrate on presentation & to enjoy the peace and solitude.
    Glad to see more guys sharing their trips.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    Jump to: