Oct 16-17-18

Author
retired guy
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3107
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/18 19:55:28 (permalink)

Oct 16-17-18

Went up for some fishing /hunting fun and got SKUNKED.  Still better than not being there.
  Sat very windy and overcast with showers. Just the right thing for spending all day in a tree stand with black powder- no deer.
   Sun. was much nicer, still no deer in the AM so I went fishing way above the Tressel. Most guys were standing way out in about 1800 of water casting and slashing. One regular said the steel were hitting blue sacs on Sat up there pretty eagerly.
   Retired dont play that stand way out and snag stuff so I fished a nice pocket behind them roll casting with dry feet. You know roll because of brush behind me- a quick tend so as not to drag the fly , then point the rod at the line till its hanging in the back of the run for a while-repeat, repeat. I only repeated a couple of times cause some nut walked UNDER my rod and then stood in the tail of the little run I  was working and started fishing , it got better when his buddies showed up and did likewise.
  I gave serious thought to continuing  til I hooked his legs cause he was within my short drift- then running over-remove the hook and holding him under  in the current-- till he gets revived- just normal catch and release. I decided that one of us should act civilized so I just went back to the house and raked leaves.
  Way too much pressure  up river this year. Probably because of the flood shortening the run for a lot of weekend trippers. Did my usual walking and looking and a few caught fish but most looked skunked. Those I saw catching were also all keeping.
  Mon Am, no deer. The river still looked about 1800 with continued heavy pressure- came home.

25 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/18 23:22:37 (permalink)
    I came home early evening Sat and almost ran over two young deer at bottom of driveway,noticed mom deer in background,as I proceeded up my drive,it's 300' long,I almost had dad on my fender.
    You're hunting in the wrong place retired,put a treestand next to my drive!LOL

PS: my wife would shoot you and me if we tried it,she is a bambi lover.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/18 23:41:40 (permalink)
    Like everything it depends on where you are. My place had very extensive logging behind it the Spring Summer and fall before the big snow a couple of years ago. The deer sign was unbelievable when I bought the place in early winter before that and during the logging most of the local herd left. After that horrible winter ( about 3 miles from Pineville Bridge) it completly fell apart and has yet to rebound.. I put a corn feeder and salt block in the back yard ( about 2 miles to the next road behind me) and the corn gets hit about once every 10 days to two weeks. Finding deer poop on my property is like hitting the lottery. When I bought it it was like walking in a zoo.
     This County is low on the NY totem pole for Deer per square mile to begin with. They will rebound in time but its lousy for now. Now the neighbor on the other side is logging.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 00:25:49 (permalink)
    RT - sounds you should have stuck with leaf raking Sunday.

I always figured that "responsible" logging activities were good for deer habitat since it promoted new growth and plenty of browse...

Did the folks around you clear cut the place? 

post edited by draketrutta - 2010/10/19 00:27:57
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 05:57:01 (permalink)
    I'd have to look it up--but I'm not quite sure on the legality of the salt and corn---BTW---TONS of steel in the river Sun ;)

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 06:04:01 (permalink)
    Didn't fish myself this past weekend but reliable sources told me the same metal. Up again this weekend but only to work. Can't wait til it starts snowing so I can stop working and then go fishing g
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 06:24:04 (permalink)
    Logging will usually bring in deer not run them off..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

uglyfish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 561
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 08:35:13 (permalink)
    Was there Thursday and Friday word was lots of browns and steel upriver but none found my flies. But did see a few hooking up.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 10:06:26 (permalink)
    The salt and corn are in my yard not the woods. We like to see stuff when we go there. My deer stands are on the complete other end of the property.
    No-It was not a clearcut. Without much farming in my immediate area I believe most of the mast crop may have been removed. Remember you have to combine this with a big winter kill at the end of the same year. It took a year or two for the deer behind me in Ct. to come back after a logging operation and hopefully thats what is happening here too.
    If feeding to see deer is illegal the major sports supply shops had best stop selling feeders-I could never understand what a hunter gets out of "hunting" over a feeder-or at least limit them to out West  where its legal to actually hunt over them.
      Not complaining about the logging at all- I took a walk and they did a nice job. Thought the deer herd would be actually improved from it too. That winter ( according to reports) was very hard on the deer and there has only been one complete breeding cycle since then. The logging does however often change the travel patterns and habits of the Deer within the area cut. It takes a year or two for all the new growth to take hold after which the patterns get re-established.
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/10/19 10:28:19
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 15:08:11 (permalink)
    Ted Nugent got a segment for his show out of doing it.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 15:32:05 (permalink)
    I love Teds stuff- you should try his cook book-I keep it in camp-. One more point that definatly had impact, the logging was done through an acess road right next to my place. That was where all the equipment went in and out daily and where all the logs were brought out, stacked and then put on trucks and removed. There was tremendous noise and commotion there for months. No deer in his right mind would stay for all that. It was like being next to a heavy equipment factory for that first year.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 16:49:34 (permalink)
    A curveball straight to hunting - yeehaw..

Not so sure how afraid Bambi is of noise and human activity. Down here in PeeAYE, once the bullets start flying, the smart ones hide in the middle of housing developments

As far as bait - I don't agree with hunting over bait - especially how they do it on bear hunts in Canada.

The laws are pretty twisted too. In Pennsyltucky, the game laws state that you must remove all traces of bait 30 days before you hunt an area.
    And the laws do not provide distances that you can legally hunt from a bait pile - whether you know it's there or not.

Then, there's Uncle Cletus - who can sit in his stand, in the middle of his turnip and clover feedplot, and bang the fur off Bambi with the full blessings of the PGC... (Gotta spread the seed on my AAAAAA TTTTTTT VVVVVVV and pack that freezer full!!!) LMAO
    post edited by draketrutta - 2010/10/19 16:51:42
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 18:00:08 (permalink)
    depending on how much acreage you have and the mast crop , logging is a big plus to seeing (attracting) deer. an area that has been logged leaving the tops will be a magnet for 2 solid years. if you have had it logged leaving enough mature forage trees it will be forever..
    My place has 800 acres and sections are logged about every 3 years.. Those sections are the hot spots during that time.
    If too much is cut away on small lands the deer will just move to another food source usually another property with natural food source.. In that case just plant corn and leave it stand.. Way easier then any other types of food plots..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 19:33:39 (permalink)
    I know this  a forum for fishing but its neat to talk deer too. I generally hunt at least 2 states a year and see a lot of different methods and talked to a lot of hunters over the years. I have hunted all of New England except Mass. and hunt all over Ny of course and Pensiltucky for years ( dads from there) Its actually a bit different where ever you go. I like my deer but have to be careful about not taking more than we can eat. Here in CT I get 9 tags each year-we could never eat that many so one learns to get very selective. I guess thats why I even brought up the condition at my place by the river- because its a bit different than what one might expect to have happened. By the way I do not and will not shoot over or near bait but I LOOOve to watchem-those kind of guys are like snaggers.. Hunting a clover field or old corn lot is another matter-not much different than being on an Oak ridge.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 19:55:05 (permalink)
    yeah RT - foodplots could be considered as habitat improvement...

But, I know a couple of guys that could just slide the window of their cabins open and shoot a deer without even putting their pants on.

I don't know - I'd rather actually take a walk in the woods and try to get one the old fashioned way.

On the other hand, that clover/corn fed vennsion sure is tender.....
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 21:16:22 (permalink)
    A bank robber is not a customer/ snaggers are not fishermen/guys shooting over feeders or salt arent hunters

Right there with you Drake-stands have their place but stillhunting is HUNTING

I couldnt stand myself going the way those down southwest Texas guys do it- out of a box over bait on a road. I'd be going nuts to get my bow and start sneaking off through the brush on my own. Getting one isnt the point its the hunting that counts. Too many confuse hunting with getting.
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/10/19 21:56:33
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/19 23:02:30 (permalink)
    When I used to hunt deer my favorite HUNT was up behind Francis E Walter dam in the Poconos,get back in about a mile before dawn and still hunt the ridges and swamps all day.
    I laugh at those so called hunters that crawl into a hut on stilts and wait for a deer to come in to the food plot that was planted to lure the deer there,that's not hunting it's shooting deer.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/20 00:15:47 (permalink)
    Small world pafisher, I occaisionaly hunt yotes across the road from the FEW entrance.

Those big fields with woodlines are great. I love that big island of pine trees in the middle - makes for a great sniping spot with the 223.

The Pa State Record Black Bear was taken from those swamps a few years ago. Can't recall the particulars - but the est live weight was over 800 lbs
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/20 10:51:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: draketrutta

Small world pafisher, I occaisionaly hunt yotes across the road from the FEW entrance.

Those big fields with woodlines are great. I love that big island of pine trees in the middle - makes for a great sniping spot with the 223.

The Pa State Record Black Bear was taken from those swamps a few years ago. Can't recall the particulars - but the est live weight was over 800 lbs

Pretty sure it was 827.  I know the guy who shot it, but he is not a close friend.  He had a pretty interesting morning that day.  Nice area, but the Poconos (in general) are fast changing into a NJ, NYC suburb.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/20 12:02:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: JOE PA

Pretty sure it was 827.  I know the guy who shot it, but he is not a close friend.  He had a pretty interesting morning that day.  Nice area, but the Poconos (in general) are fast changing into a NJ, NYC suburb.

Yes it helps if you speak Spanish in the towns of the Pocono's,but that's another story.
    Heading west next week to visit my daughter in Ohio,showers are finally forecast for the Erie tribs and I'll be there to fight some fresh Steel.It should be fun!
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/20 13:53:23 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: JOE PA

Thanks for the details about the bear JOE PA.

Many parts of the Poconos have succumbed to the city transplants - Stroudsburg, Mt Pocono, Tobyhanna. Fortunately, west of the Rte 115 and the turnpike is still pretty well pristine due to the abundance of state game lands, state parks and the Army Corp land surrounding FEW dam which serves as a buffer against further development.  
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/20 15:39:15 (permalink)
    I love people that move to the country and then country and country folks to change.

PS Ted also got a ticket and fine out of hunting over bait.
    Some econ officer was watching his show and saw the violation on TV.
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/20 15:56:43 (permalink)
    In the Virgin Isles one winter killing time in an airport and and talked to a NYC guy who had moved to Maine. He told me allll about the nasty bear hunters up there ruining the state for guys like him who loved wildlife. Also said he had never actually seen a Maine bear (or a moose) but was glad to pass judgment for anyone around to hear.
     He almost slipped in what bears actually do in the woods when I told him I had recently taken one with bow in Maine.--thats not all I told him either.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/20 16:06:12 (permalink)
    haha RT..

Some of the big city folks sure are funny.

I remember a few years back that Monroe County,Pa. hired a couple of guys that were responsible for picking up dead bambis that were laying along the sides of roadways ASAP because they were getting so many complaints from newly settled city transplants that their children were being tramatized by seeing dead animals.

Flash forward a year or so - Bambi's started to munch down all the expensive landscaping around their homes and many of the HOA's hired pro snipers to come in at night and remove the problem while little Johnny & Suzie slept...

Oh, the hypocrisy !!!!

retired guy
    Pro Angler
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/20 16:12:22 (permalink)
    Have a lot of family who are and were game wardens here in ct. My favorite story was when my cousin got sent to a city slickers new country home on an animal complaint. They wanted him to stop the peepers at night so they could sleep.
    That professional hunter or sniper stuff comes up a lot. They never want to give permission to real hunters to get the job done. I truly believe they are opposed to us because we may enjoy it. You know- us wild eyed drooling idiots that kill talking animals  that Disney taught all the little kids about.

Going back tomorrow-cant get enough of it-Good luck to all- hope you can get up , remember its the fishing , not the fish
    post edited by retired guy - 2010/10/20 20:11:31
    JOE PA
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 47
    RE: Oct 16-17-18 2010/10/20 20:53:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: retired guy

Have a lot of family who are and were game wardens here in ct. My favorite story was when my cousin got sent to a city slickers new country home on an animal complaint. They wanted him to stop the peepers at night so they could sleep.
    That professional hunter or sniper stuff comes up a lot. They never want to give permission to real hunters to get the job done. I truly believe they are opposed to us because we may enjoy it. You know- us wild eyed drooling idiots that kill talking animals  that Disney taught all the little kids about.

Going back tomorrow-cant get enough of it-Good luck to all- hope you can get up , remember its the fishing , not the fish

Great story about the peepers.  Good luck fishing. 
    post edited by JOE PA - 2010/10/20 20:55:31
    Jump to: