REDUCED RECOIL AMMO UPDATE

Author
pikepredator2
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 953
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/16 20:06:45 (permalink)

REDUCED RECOIL AMMO UPDATE

Now that I know better it's called managed recoil ammo(the Remington) and for anybody that's interested here is an update on what I've found out. Researched this all over the net and out of all of the reviews I've read, there was one negative on how this bullet (actually he says he placed 3 in a deer) never penetrated a white tail he swears he shot 3 times. All other reviews were positive, but for my liking, not enough in actual bullet placement in game, they were more so for the range. Bought the grandson a .270 for his first deer rifle. Wasn't going to go the .243 route as we've got a nice varmint rifle as it is and I didn't need a rifle that would be sitting unused forever once he outgrew it. Mistake? Some people would say so, but the grandson is a beefy 12 yr. old football player whom I thought could handle the recoil. After half a box of regular loads, he had had enough. His bullet placements in the targets at 100 yds. were all kill shots but the recoil was starting to bother him. So I picked up a box of the manage recoil .270 Remingtons. Placed 2 targets side by side at 100 yds. He shot the regular loads, very nice group. What surprised me though was the managed recoil loads were grouped just as nice, and at the same heighth as the regular loads. Note here though, that the factory loads were 150 gr. and the managed recoil loads were 115 gr. Supposedly, a new bullet was created for these managed recoil loads. Federal and a few others have them out there also. About half of the reviews on this ammo stated that the ammo was interchangable and scope adjustment was not necessary (Remington actually advertises this fact), others stated that scope adjustment was necessary. His gun shot both loads within the same kill zone, no scope adjustment necessary. Obviously, as with all ballistic tests, each gun is different. The difference here is he was able to shoot off an entire box of the managed recoil loads, and still look for more. Personally, I didn't notice that big of a difference in recoil, but I'm an adult shooter. For the 12 yr. old shooter they made all the difference in the world. The goal here was to get this kid shooting this HP rifle as much as he could before deer season, and this ammo is the way to do it. Now if he can just sit and be patient... breathe in, hold, squeeze. I'm more excited than he is, I've been waiting 12 years for this! WHOOHOO! I'll update here on this bullets lethality...Hopefully!

3 Replies Related Threads

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: REDUCED RECOIL AMMO UPDATE 2010/10/18 10:25:38 (permalink)
    Enjoy, the time really starts flying by when they get to that age

As for the 243, they are pretty much a perfect blend for an all around rifle. Most of the native Montana folks that I know use them almost exclusively. My last trip out I saw 5 elk killed and every one of them was killed with a 243. That being said, the 270 should serve him well for a long time...
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: REDUCED RECOIL AMMO UPDATE 2010/10/18 22:21:22 (permalink)
    Glad to have the news. I break my kids in on the .257 roberts, but when switching to the .308 I will have to try some.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: REDUCED RECOIL AMMO UPDATE 2010/10/23 16:18:38 (permalink)
    I never thought of a .243 as a rifle to be outgrown.  Just because it is light recoiling doesn't mean it isn't a great deer round.
    Jump to: