Trash

Author
lovthoseyes
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 39
  • Reward points: 0
2010/10/10 17:02:04 (permalink)

Trash

[For the last few weeks I have been going for a daily walk on some private property near my home. It's a beatiful place that has been timbered and there are quite a few trails through it. Of course, it has it's share of accumulated trash from some who walk, hunt and 4 wheel there. As of now it's not posted, but I can only see it comming. It was pretty discusting seeing the trash scattered all over the trails, but I just kept walking by it. I didn't put it there and I could take it all anyway. Finally, I thought I don't need to carry a trash bag and pack it all out. If every time I went out I picked up one item, be it a can, a bottle, an empty cigarette back and carried it out it would help. I have, and it has. There is always room to take one item back out of the woods or fishing area and it is really no inconvience. Makes you feel good too. I'm not writing this to get a pat on the back. This for me is just a good place to give this idea a chance to catch on. I told two other walkers what I was doing this week and it may have already. If you're in the woods, along a stream, or in a boat, please pick one for me. Thanks,

6 Replies Related Threads

Extreme Shallow
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: Trash 2010/10/10 18:07:22 (permalink)
    People trashing places ticks me off to no end too. I’ve picked up more than my share of other peoples trash. I’ve caught a few people throwing trash including paint buckets and crap like that more than once. Every one of the people that I caught didn’t see a problem with what they were doing; of course it wasn’t their property. I even had one guy decide he was going to kick my arse and charged at me.

More than once while on or along the Yough River I’ve had trash comes floating by. This summer along with my neighbors we watched 2 adults in a canoe with 3 kids throwing their trash into the river; tea cartons, candy wrappers and such. It was one of those days and I went after them. I got told I was not the Yough River Police! But, they did retrieve all of the trash that was still floating before I let them go. They may have pitched it back out once past my place but at least I gave them something to think about.
    post edited by Extreme Shallow - 2010/10/10 18:08:02
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Trash 2010/10/10 18:36:33 (permalink)
    Worst lazyness I've ever seen was 2 cases of beer and assorted other trash left fifty feet from a trash can on private property. I picked it up.
    Another time I spoke up and two guys started a fight with me. Turns out they couldn't fight and after a couple punches they ran off and used their cell phone to call the police. They knew the cops and I didn't and I spent the night in jail. Moral to the story- Doesn't matter how right you are sometimes it pays to keep quite and pick up after the jerks.
    Extreme Shallow
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 239
    RE: Trash 2010/10/10 20:15:16 (permalink)
    Bubble I see your point but keeping quite just ain't me anymore. I don't know if its old age kicking in or what but I got to call them like I see them these days. If I see someone trashing a place I'm making an issue out of it.
    musky maniac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 277
    RE: Trash 2010/10/10 21:08:04 (permalink)
    well good news is there are alot of people who do care and pick up after others..i musky fish and its all catch and release therefore i really have no use for my livewell other than using it to keep food and drinks in with ice during summer, otherwise its where i put my trash while on the water. also i pick floating trash up and put it there when i get home i put it all in the trash. i guess meaning of this is dont feel alone lot of us help also all my friends that fish also retrieve trash from the water and if u dont do it cause u have noplace to put it try ur live well..

WORK HARD.....FISH HARDER !
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Trash 2010/10/10 21:17:24 (permalink)
    I'm glad this thread is started, it reminded me to go look for an volunteer organization to join for trash clean up.
    MUSKYJUNKY
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 147
    RE: Trash 2010/10/10 22:33:36 (permalink)
    my dad always taught me and my brothers if u take something in the woods or on the water it comes back out with you and if you see someone else's trash you pick it up. Its call outdoorsmanship and I wish everyone would follow that it doesn't look good when people leave trash laying around how would u like someone to go to your property and throw there trash on it. Bet no one would appreciate that

Figure 8
    Jump to: