new canvas

Author
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/26 07:45:13 (permalink)

new canvas

Hey all... when EM asked me what I wanted for my BD I told him... a bow dodger for the boat.
Figuring it would be great for keeping some things dry and giving the pup some more shade.
Well, I got the word from a few of you fine folks about who to contact and we did meet with the folks at Conneaut Canvas and draw up some plans.
Well, the 'bow dodger' became a dodger, with a windshield and some side curtains. Basically, we ended up with a full enclosure and we got to put it to use recently. What a difference! It was like having a new boat when the wind got cold! I don't like being cold, and usually am dressed in 3 or 4 layers of fleece, sweatshirts, windjackets etc! LOL (I think I had 4 layers on the morning of the pics, not to mention the cup of coffee I was drinking!) with this new setup I will be able to reduce that by at least one layer...
The enclosure is 4 pieces, dodger, windshield and 2 curtains so we can pick and choose which need to use at any particular time based on temps, waves, rain etc.
Anyway, I added a few pics of what we designed and had done. Anyone with an open boat I would urge to look into it. This change will greatly increase our boating season and make things more comfortable in general. When it is warm and calm we can enjoy the open boat with all of the fishing room that goes with it. When cold or rainy we close it up and have the benefits of a cabin... like 2 boats in one.

dodger by itself, great to reduce wind sheer on deck and give Mindy a shady place on a hot day or a dry place to stash gear.
a couple of interior shots

and side to sides...

11 Replies Related Threads

Blowchowski
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 577
    RE: new canvas 2010/09/26 08:58:12 (permalink)
    Happy Birthday! Looks great. I can see it now... Honey, lets close the rest of this off so that if we decide to take a weekend trip to..............

Very Nice!

I love cats. I just can't eat a whole one..
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: new canvas 2010/09/26 19:33:17 (permalink)
    that is a very cool contraption/setup. just sayin'

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    BIGSLICK
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1867
    RE: new canvas 2010/09/27 12:58:09 (permalink)
    Looks good Karen! Conneautville does awesome work. I will recommend them to anyone! That's the only reason for my dislike in CC's, but with that set-up, it would make it a dry/wind free ride!

Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: new canvas 2010/09/27 14:51:05 (permalink)
    Awesome! Way to pony up Erie Mako.
    A big, belated, happy birthday Karen!

Looks like a gift that'll keep on giving.
    Enjoy.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: new canvas 2010/09/27 15:20:36 (permalink)
    Looks great Karen...tose folks at Cauneautville C can work wonders can't they? Hope you enjoy it...Good Luck!
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: new canvas 2010/09/27 16:38:36 (permalink)
    Happy Birthday! you also have privacy when the bladder calls One thing that is tuff for women in CC.

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    pghmarty
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5951
    RE: new canvas 2010/09/27 16:42:24 (permalink)
    My birthday is Wednesday can I have one???????

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: new canvas 2010/09/27 22:58:46 (permalink)
    Thanks guys... we are liking it so far... yes, Con Canvas does great work, this is actually the first of this type of enclosure he was ever asked to build, so we worked a bit with him about design and how we wanted it to work and then gave him the OK to modify details as needed for fitting, sewing and securing it. Turned out great and I would suggest his services to anyone else looking to get work like this done.
    Yep SS, definitely gives a bit of privacy onboard, I really like the 'move around' room of a center console but that was always a drawback. Now not really an issue!  
     I think something similar to this would work even on the open bow dual console type boats... and I can't stress enough how different it make the ride when it's cold or wet.
    and Marty, you would have to talk to EM about getting one for yourself ...can I be there when you ask him???     
    sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: new canvas 2010/09/28 18:23:16 (permalink)
    Very awesome custom work and if you don't mind me asking, what was the price range for that. I need a new mooring cover and was thinking of having a camper top made for my Reinell hardtop.

The World is a Vampire
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: new canvas 2010/09/28 20:25:14 (permalink)
    Without pulling the receipt to get exact #s the total was about $1245 including tax...
    Work done was...
     Front 'bow dodger' (some folks call them spray hoods) with 3 bow frame, and 3 screened windows $600
     Front curtain/windshield $190
     Side curtains $185
     storage bag for above $25
     Customizing/refitting our existing boat cover to fit around front bow rail and become a towable cover... $175

Starting to sound like a VISA commercial... repeat above and then add.....
    Getting to spend a day on the lake without freezing your butt off... PRICELESS!!! LOL

sstaz69
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 314
    RE: new canvas 2010/09/29 22:40:49 (permalink)
    Wow, some places charge that for just a mooring cover. I will be looking them up in the near future. Thank you very much for the info

The World is a Vampire
    Jump to: