Author
Fisherlady2
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2196
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/25 23:31:58 (permalink)

Catfishing surprise 9/24

Hey folks,
Erie Mako and I decided to head to the river for an evening of catfishing on the middle Allegheny. I got off of work late Friday morning and headed out shortly after to a small local
lake and caught us 10 or so medium sized bluegill for flathead bait to use for the river trip.
Well, the night wasn't turning into a 'fish fest' by any means, don't know if it was our location or presentation but had only caught a couple of nice but young yet channel cats on our liver and worm rigs and no attention to the blue gills...
We moved, set up on a flat near the lower end of a small island in about 8 ft or so of water and EM sent out a bluegill (about 5") under an oversized bobber to keep it just off of bottom.
Shortly thereafter the bobber went under and started to move around the boat. EM picked it up, and began to bring in the fish but when it surfaced it dropped the gill and dove leaving us with just a brief glimpse of a streamlined appearing body and certainly not the flathead shape we were expecting. EM casted back out to the same area (about 20 ft) away from the boat and we were discussing possible culprits, a small musky? a channel? but we didn't really expect to find out...
Well, the unfortunate gill wasn't out more than about 2 minutes when the bobber again went for a ride underwater around the area... this time we let it go an extra minute or so (though it seemed like 20 when you are waiting LOL) and he set the hook... fish on... a short battle ensued but thanks to the heavy catfishing gear the fish was netted shortly and brought onboard... and we were both amazed... the 'culprit' was one we hadn't even thought of... and this is a first for us in our catfishing with bluegill...
A Walleye had taken the gill... maybe some of you who have been on the river a lot longer than us would say this is normal... but a first for us, and a real reminder to keep an open mind when targeting any particular species.
One thing we did notice about this river eye as compared to the lake eyes we've been getting in Erie.
the head was much larger in comparison to the body, or should I say, comparable in size, most of the recent Erie eyes have had a small head compared to football bodies we have attributed to abundant food supplies on the lake allowing rapid body growth for their age. This river eyes overall length and head size compared to his body indicated a slower growth rate? and this walleye's teeth looked to be about twice the size of most of the comparable lengthed eyes from Erie, again a sign of age and growth rate?
Either way... a lesson learned, don't always assume the bait stealing or cut off lines are cats or frayed leaders/line... maybe it's just an aggressive eye cruising for a meal!
On a side note... river is still about 68* (surface temp), so cooling off... but slowly...

note, EM is a big guy, so pic doesn't do a good job of showing off the fishes size, 29" and 7-8 lb.
and yes, that is an eel in the walleyes mouth, found it had also eaten about an 8" eel prior to taking our gill...
post edited by Fisherlady2 - 2010/09/26 09:43:27

18 Replies Related Threads

Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/26 00:16:14 (permalink)
    those teeth look pretty mean
    Wally Cat
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1073
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/26 07:29:53 (permalink)
    Nice fish! That's one thing about the three rivers system, you never know just what you might tie into. It's the law of the jungle there "Kill or be killed, eat or be eaten".

I need to spend more time on the rivers.

Enjoy Life, Be Happy, Go Fish - Often!

"God has blessed America - may He continue to do so, even though we are not worthy of it".
    Author..... Wally Cat
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8511
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/26 09:15:33 (permalink)
    Wow, that is sweet. Do you think it was the same fish that came back and ate the second gill?
    Must be putting the feed on for winter. Thanks for sharing. :)

avidangler
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 835
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/26 09:24:27 (permalink)
    Cool story! I was coming in rite at dark as you were heading out to fish.

Born to fish, Forced to work...

"Balls deep, or why even bother"
    **commander**
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4216
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/26 11:03:20 (permalink)
    NICE!!! rivers fishing is awesome and you have a chance of catching anything. few more degrees and the fishing is going to be excellent.
    post edited by **commander** - 2010/09/26 11:04:23

"I'm sick of all the fairytale stories of how this is destiny and how the saints have rebuilt new orleans.Sorry but you can write the script anyway you want but the actors(sean payton and crew)do not have the talent to step on the stage."---Logan Wade
    Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/26 12:46:43 (permalink)
    Overalls...Fashion no-no

but nice WhaLeyE

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/26 22:22:07 (permalink)
    nice fish man but that is a lamprey in the fishes gullett

I have become comfortably numb
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/26 22:48:15 (permalink)
    KK... Using the name 'eel' was my mistake I guess... I always called them lamprey eels? If they aren't actually an eel then that was my mistake.
    I was surprised to see the walleye was feeding on the lamprey rather than the other way around though... usually when we find them they are on the outside of the fish! LOL

Mika... we also debated on the chances of it being the same fish... it is the same size as the first we saw/lost and since it didn't taste hook the first time it wouldn't surprise me if it went back to that same area as part of it's normal 'food patrol' area to pick up where he had left off so to speak. But with that being said, I would still like to think though that it was a different one, then I would know for sure there are more of this one's size waiting to be found!

MM... maybe not most folk's idea of 'style' ... but can't beat them for comfort and pockets! And when you are 6'5" you can wear whatever you like! LOL       
    nightwolf
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 51
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/26 23:39:31 (permalink)
    that thing in its mouth looks like a witches finger hahaha
    nice fish!
    eyeassassin
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 847
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/27 21:29:19 (permalink)
    nice eye bro cant wait for the water to come down about 10 more degrees

REMEMBER HOW MUCH FUN YOUR FIRST BIG ONE WAS. TAKE A KID FISHING
    rapala11
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6218
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/27 21:57:25 (permalink)
    really nice post, k. tasty surprise, too. think it got me excited about the cooler weather. thanks for sharing, as always.

Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/29 12:35:42 (permalink)
    As an addendum to this post... Kokanee Killer was right to point out that I had mislabled the lamprey. I did a bit of internet digging to try to figure out where the name thing came from and came across a couple of interesting pages that I have linked here.
    http://www.inquiry.net/outdoor/spring/bait/lamprey_eels.htm
    http://www.fish.state.pa.us/pafish/fishhtms/chap4.htm
    I would think that based on size and location we found this one it is of the Ohio lamprey variety. Whatever the variety, I maintain my original position on it... Yuck!!! LOL
    I won't be swimming in the river there anytime soon!
    though their body shape is something I'll keep in mind next time I'm digging for lures to try trolling.....
    amerdunbar
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/29 13:44:28 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Fisherlady2

I won't be swimming in the river there anytime soon!

lol, and I won't be telling my daughters or wife that they exist here. They'd never use the tubes again! It took me forever to convince my youngest that there weren't any sharks or alligators in the river.
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/29 22:15:02 (permalink)
    imagine one of those nasty things latching onto the underside of your butt-cheek.

NO THANK YOU.... haha

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/30 10:32:00 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: amerdunbar

lol, and I won't be telling my daughters or wife that they exist here. They'd never use the tubes again! It took me forever to convince my youngest that there weren't any sharks or alligators in the river.

Before they dammed up the rivers, Bull sharks made it up all the way to Illinois!

http://www.in-fisherman.com/content/sharks-illinois

A few more miles up the Ohio isn't out of the realm of possibilities....
    amerdunbar
    New Angler
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/30 13:34:03 (permalink)
    Shhhh! lol, we usually only swim/tube in pool 6 or crooked creek if it's clear of e.coli.
    Fisherlady2
    Pro Angler
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/09/30 18:02:59 (permalink)
    amerdunbar,
      we put in at the crooked creek ramp frequently... guess your wife and daughter wouldn't appreciate seeing some of the big cats we've pulled out of the area either!
     but seeing that lamprey would have to give about anyone cause to pause IMO! LOL
    amerdunbar
    New Angler
    RE: Catfishing surprise 9/24 2010/10/01 19:19:44 (permalink)
    I caught a couple small cats and a LOT of sunfish in crooked creek the few times I went this year. I've heard that crappie fishing is really good, but I just must not have found them. Pool 6 gave me a few small mouth and a cat, but my best fishing has been at Mahoning. I'm trying to debate where to go tomorrow. I really want to go perch fishing in Erie one last time, but the forecast looks pretty miserable.

I'd like to try launching in Freeport and going up into pool 5, but I just haven't had the time, or when I got the time, I went to Erie lol.
    Jump to: