Thinking of heading up Oct. 1

Author
cotsy
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 15
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/25 12:34:46 (permalink)

Thinking of heading up Oct. 1

Thinking of going up next weekend.  Going to be in the boat cuz I never learned the other areas.  My father and I have always done this.  Just wondering how the fishing was near the mouth area.  Last year I some how pulled a dead one off the bottom with in the first few minutes after that a couple of good hook ups.  Any way we were hoping to head up and get some good ones, anyone know how the fishing is in that area or at least if someone could give us some tips on using the DSR since I have never tried.

14 Replies Related Threads

Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/25 14:41:57 (permalink)
    Their stacked up there now, I recommend bringing your waders just in case though. They may not be there long.

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/25 15:06:50 (permalink)
    if fishing the dsr theres a good chance that it won't matter where you fish... fish the water that looks the most thorough... by saying this i mean the areas where you know just by looking at it they will be swimming or resting there. and you will hook fish
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/25 19:07:54 (permalink)
    If you look at their interactive map it will list most of the named holes.. It also gives you a good look at the area as far as water types & islands. Obviously the most pressure (fishermen) will be at the named spots , think outside the box and fish above or below these holes, again you can see this on the map.. An easy starting point & mid section of dsr is the flats.. Take the trail being where you purchases your pass , follow the trail and down the staircase and head straight (slightly left) toward the river.. If you follow the trail from stairs to the right that will take you to the Joss hole (I'd avoid that).. Again from stairs go straight to river, that will put you just below the flats which you'll see to the left when you come to the water. Right there is a good holding section before they move into the shallow(low water) flats.. Try that for a bit and if you see fish moving through the flats then cross the river to the island and fish to the moving, holding fish..
    From that point on I would move up river (south side) and fish the top of the island just below the wall hole or even behind the island above the white water is good..
    Now you are still on an island.. cross the rest of the river (carefully) to shore and follow the trail above the wall hole and scout the water, small holding spots should have fish..
    at the top of the wall hole you may want to once again (carefully) cross to another island to what is called the sycamore hole (I'd pass it by) you'll see people fishing there for sure..
    Walk upstream (on the Island) and start looking in the pockets hor holding or moving fish to cast to.. This area is called but not named the bucket.. fish will move and hold in the pocket water.. You may wish to pass that by to the top where the first slower water will hold fish to rest.. It's a deep enough run to hold quite a few fish.. work that water to the top of the island and you will be just below the glide.. If the water is high and the fish are blowing through the choke point at the tip of the island they will hold in the very tail out of the glide. Once they hit the deep water of the glide I move on..

That should provide you with a full days fishing for sure..
    Remember to bring a wading staff and good polarized glasses..
    Also ask the people for a pocket map of the property..
    Have Fun !!!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/25 21:21:43 (permalink)
    y tuna, do you ever pay attention to diversions behind the sycaamore? have done well for steel; but never really ventured for salmon.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/25 23:44:38 (permalink)
    Most of my BEST spots have no "official" name.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/26 00:25:19 (permalink)
    same applies here metal. i tend to fish in between as well...
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/26 07:56:56 (permalink)
    in my opinion; prime salmon water... maybe spot below has a name but all of the individual pockets don't which in my opinion is the best water to target... pocket water... good luck

Attachment(s)

Attachments are not available: Download requirements not met
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/26 09:33:26 (permalink)
    DB,, I know that picture is of high water but why would you suggest anyone asking advise to fish that.. Thats B.S. water.. BOWLING for SALMON.. Drift,drift,lift.. got one..
    Come on man how could one possibly swing a fly to a fish in that heavy stuff... Maybe you posted it in fun but NOT water to fish in.. Even in a lower cfs I would not direct anyone wishing to fish for salmon in heavy white water (and that still looks heavy at lower levels) .. Kinda like across from the flats.. Drift,drift,lift.. got one.. You may not get 40>100 hook ups but you will get a few takers ..

This being the flats is the type of water you can swing streamers to moving, holding salmon.. the stuff to the left (where everyone is) is not..

Another water type to look for where they will hold and you can swing is here :

Sorry man just trying to help the guy out..

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/26 10:22:58 (permalink)
    yes tuna that is 2500 cfs... i actually posted it to try and cover it up since you have made comments towards me for blowing up spots...honestly; that is why... anyway,i have had steelhead break water for flies with no or little weight in this section in lower water in to january... i have been very successful with bobbers on a noodle rod as well in the seems. there are lies in which the water barely moves that the fish hold in. i always find also high stick nymphing with weight has probably been the most deadly for me. it's oxygen these fish are looking for. it's the boiling choppy type of water in between the currents. or the dark areas behind a big rock or underneath a slate undercut.they don't just blow through it... and yes i have many fish strike agressively, especially the cohoes or holding fresh kings...when taking your common approach/technique/water type i prefer to fish the flat water below the joss hole. mostly an even depth across from bank to bank. great for nymphing and swinging for steel being that you can just leave 60 70 ft. of line out and just cast to either side of you and hit feeding steelhead/aggressive salmon... i have hit runns of salmon down there where you could cast in any direction towards groups of fish. i don't prefer it for salmon though. i don't like to see the fish i fish for. i notice in the shallow flat water, the fish stop for short periods of time and mostly keep moving. and spook easy.i have fished pocket water that held fish all day. even have gone back the next day and caught fish with yesterdys fly in it's mouth. it's all a matter of preference...

in regards to your drifts... how long of a drift do you take when spotting your target? probably not much further than the drifts i take in my 15 -30 foot slots i drift when fishing fast water. i imagine you cast about five to ten foot upsatream of fish, and then recast once past the fish. do you really discriminate fast water or people who fish it? imo i think that's pretty messed up. i fish just about every type of water there is depending on what type of rod or set up i'm using, or what i prefer for that day or depending on where i know fish are holding;water levels;etc.etc. some days for steel in particular; i will find them holding and being more agressive in pocket water. some days pick 1 or 2 up behind every other pocket i throw my bobber or fly pattern behind. so why should i not recomend fishing fast water? it's productive water for me.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/26 11:08:11 (permalink)
    Good response DB, Trout & Salmon are apples to oranges.. Salmon when ever possible I sight fish them .. see my target & my streamer knowing exactly what each is doing..Watching a Salmon move forward or as a fly passes by , turn to the side and attack.. My only dig is that I see far to many people fishing the heavy water for salmon using the kerplunk method.. To me Salmon are holding in that water for cover (hiding from anglers). So I guess I have been left a bad taste from that style and prefer to avoid it . If anyone choses to fish that water so be it, I would not show clients heavy water so they can understand how and why a salmon will attack a fly on a swing.. thats just how I fish for them & maybe why I'll never hook large numbers.. It's to easy to get into the "add more weight" method in heavy water..

Yea I gave you digs about spot burn.. Your right , I'll eat my hat my that one

It's all good. Hope everyone has great days on the river..
    I got to go cut firewood now !!

Peace & Tuna

OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/26 20:49:32 (permalink)

I'll tell ya, when the pressure is on, and in lower flows, you want to look for the most turbulant whitewater you can find. This is where the most aggressive Kings and Trout will be holding.

As Tuna said, little weight is best, even in the fast whitewater, especially when it actually looks like you have to get the fly down, it is actually the opposite, but most fisherman see the fast white water and think heavy weight, get it down. Wrong. These fish have great vision, most hook-ups in fast whitewater comes within seconds after the fly hits, and the hook-ups are always clean and solid in this fashion.

Swinging to holding Salmon is great when the conditions are right, but as migratory fish, they do tend to have predictable patterns.

Tight Lines,

OldSalt
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/27 09:03:25 (permalink)
    i'm with ya on all of that salt... and yes you are right to an extent tuna in regards to them hiding from anglers in pockets...but have turned many fish from the same pockets while no one was there for either salmon or steel. so who would they be hiding from when no or few anglers in sight? i believe in the oxygen factor... tight lines guys
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/27 17:12:22 (permalink)
    So DB, when we fishin ?
    I'll be on the water again in Nov , Brown Town & Maybe some Chrome for bling.

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: Thinking of heading up Oct. 1 2010/09/27 18:59:24 (permalink)
    i'm sure we can make november work... i fish through the winte rin to the spring so let's make it happen...
    Jump to: