Author
hookmeup
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 7
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/23 13:41:46 (permalink)

Backpackin in

Hey Guys,

I'm wanting to hike in somewhere for a few miles, somewhere in W. Pa. I just got back from a backcountry trip in Montana, and itching to get out again for a couple days, around here. I'd be interested to trade any trail-head info with ya if you PM me.

3 Replies Related Threads

jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Backpackin in 2010/09/23 14:03:34 (permalink)
    oh-kay.

so whats the big secret?  I live in the Alleghany National Forest and there are several trails (including the North country, the largest local trail over 100 miles of consecutive trail).  do our East is another big section of trails (the sinnemahoming).

I've hiked on the North Country trail but I'm sure it doesn't compare to out west.  There are no vast outlooks or stunning mountain features.  Just lots of pennsylvania trees with a sprinkling of boulders and beautiful streams. (by early October those trees will be beautiful).   I love it and highly recommend it as one of the most extensive trails in these parts. 

Nearly all the little streams hold little brook trout, and all them VERY skiddish in the low flows of fall.  sneaking up onto brook trout in fall (without scaring the spots from them) is about as challenging exercise of being VERY stealthy.
    on bigger streams you will see no People and sometimes fish.  Espacially in late fall, big trout spawn upstream in these streams.  Fishing the streams is very finicky in the fall.  But it can be fantastic, if you stumble into pods of trout that were concentrated near some cold water stream in the summer.
    post edited by jolie - 2010/09/23 14:18:19
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Backpackin in 2010/09/23 15:22:55 (permalink)
    north country trail

if you don't mind following streams and compass, try minister creek, from rte 666,. to hearts content. than from there to cherry grove (fish hatchery there along the farnsworth branch) and back to minister creek.
    you can leave your vehicle at the minister creek parking lot.

squirrel season and small game is coming up so wear orange to be safe.
    post edited by doubletaper - 2010/09/23 15:27:28

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Backpackin in 2010/09/24 08:36:04 (permalink)
    just so you know there's several good choices if you intend to stay within a trail system and loop back to your car.

Minister Creek happens to my fathers favorite place, and he's an avid hiker/backpacker (moreso than I ). Quite a few rock formations, and the combination of boulders and colorful leaves is beautiful and very scenic.  Get a  little more scenic by hiking the North country trail, which connects to the minister creek loop at its far end.  you might hike east to Henry's mills and return.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
      I took a boys scout troop up into the tracey ridge trail system.  It is a trail system with short interconnecting trails.  you could easily loop around for 20-30 miles or so.  I grew up within 7 miles of tracey ridge, so its kind of like in my backyard.  Its a little less popular than other places and the reservoir scenery is superb.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Also recommended, is the Hickory Creek wilderness trail system.  I believe it is, still, the only "wilderness" within the national forest.  That designation just might be more important than ever given the oil/and natural gas production within the forest.  and moreover, I Did the backpacking/hiking on just that very place.  yep. it rained 3 days strait! LOL.

The wilderness designation also means there's a minimum of roads,  and no clearcuts / oil-gas wells, and other not so pretty areas within the watershed.  And a nearby stream, The East Hickory is stocked with trout.

At the top of the trail is the beautiful hearts content park. Hearts content is one of those VERY rare places that have never been clearcut (even back in the old days, when the logged away all the hemlock).  You can see what the old forest really use to look like.  its also less rocky than most places.
    and lastly there's cooks forest.  It is also virgin uncut trees.  Certainly the biggest tract of Virgin woods in this part of the world. If you like big trees this is the place for you!  one little trivia most people don't know.  It was of course Hemlock that dominated the entire pre-colonized region.  But cooks forest, inspiring as it is, is NOT mainly hemlock.   its mostly white pine.  the culprit was a wildfire and drought in 1644. I believe the trees started then are still standing.  Wikipedia says it has "more  white pine over 150 feet fall than any other site in
    NorthEastern United states."  I'll take its word for it.  It truly is a magnificent stand of trees.  Fishing is a little more diverse to from the small streams within to the clarion river.

there that will do you.  You can get online information about all these areas and more in print.  I personally have hiked in all these places so I can answer questions, too. 
    Hopefully I haven't given you too many choices.  And There's still others that are quite pleasant as well (and that just in or near the ANF).

===============================================================================
    striking out on your own, Doubletaper , is cheating isn't it?

by the ways if you can afford a LONG walk you can hit all these places (and much more) with a really long thru hike.  It would be probably 100 miles+ (I can't remember how long it is but you can look it up) to go from cooks forest to tracy ridge on the NCT but it could be done.  the downside is that it wouldn't leave much time to fish.

I have  hiked all the segments of the NCT from the line to cooks forest.  There's truly alot of beautiful sights in the forest.
    post edited by jolie - 2010/09/24 08:41:43
    Jump to: