BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING

Author
chicken27
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 763
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/22 19:57:04 (permalink)

BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING

I been shooting all year long but the last few times i have not been doing real good.It seems like i'm hitting high sometimes.I had target panic bad a few times tonight.I don't know if i'm just anxious or what?This summer i been shooting out to 60 yards with 3 out of 3 in the vitals 80 percent of the time.Any suggestions?

24 Replies Related Threads

bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/22 20:19:44 (permalink)
    maybe take a few days off from shooting...give urself a reast...i get target panic at time and do that and seems to clear my brain and help me.....just my 2 cents

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

PAFISHERMAN1981
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 384
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/22 20:53:42 (permalink)
    Do you have a whisker bisk rest? If so you might want to replace them. Last year the same thing happened to me and the rest looked fine but it wasn't changed it and went back to touching aRROWS.

AJ

Be of good courage, and he shall strengthen your heart, all ye that hope in the Lord.

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/23 00:33:58 (permalink)
    Take a break chicken. You know you can close the deal when it's time. Stop worrying !!
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/23 07:49:26 (permalink)
    I been noticing alot of residue on my rest.I just put the felt back on the other day.This is when i relly noticed my arrows hitting high.I got a QAD ultra rest but i do believe the blazers are hitting the rest.It's to close to the season to be having problems.Could this cause the arrows to fly high?
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/23 07:52:05 (permalink)
    ^ .. and that's exactly what it is. Anxiety. At this point it's no different than a baseball hitter in a slump. Relax. Take a little time off and forget about shooting then go back to the basics. Shoot from 7 yards and step thru the basics and don't let that arrow go. Put the pin there, hold it, hold it and let it down. Until that excitment (anxiety) is gone when the pin gets close to the bullseye, let it down.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/23 09:22:02 (permalink)
    Don't take the time off. Shoot at dots, see what your groups look like. If they are spraying then it is anxiety. If they are consistent, then it is the felt you added to your rest, adjust accordingly.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/23 11:16:18 (permalink)
    I don't think it's the felt because when i shoot at a 2 inch circle i do pretty good.Then i flip the block to shoot at the deer an i fall apart.They always told me aim small miss small.I think you concertrae more when you shoot at small targets.It just getting close to the season.I felt i could kill a deer at 45 yards a week but now i'm down to 30 yards.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/23 13:31:17 (permalink)
    Dont shoot past 25 and you will be good.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/23 13:52:48 (permalink)
    Chicken make sure you didn't knock your rest out of alignment putting the felt on. Now is also a good time to check ALL the screws on that Maxxis for tightness. If you think you have a clearance problem spay the rest and riser with powdered foot spay and let dry . This will show any area that the vanes may be coming in contact with. I doubt that the felt changed your point of impact. I just put mine on and noticed no change. I assume you shoot c o c k vane up ?
    ORIGINAL: chicken27

I been noticing alot of residue on my rest.I just put the felt back on the other day.This is when i really noticed my arrows hitting high.I got a QAD ultra rest but i do believe the blazers are hitting the rest.It's to close to the season to be having problems.Could this cause the arrows to fly high?

chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/23 16:30:18 (permalink)
    Yep****vane up.I know i got a clearance issue because of the residue on the rest.I can scrap it off then it comes back again.I also been noticing that when i'm at full draw my bow will come down for some reason.This doesn't happen often about every 30 or so shots.I think i might be just to relaxed or what?
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/23 16:49:17 (permalink)
    Just take a deep breath and relax man. You are worrying too much. It is like golf, when you think you will hit a bad shot, you usually do.

Draw your bow with your eyes closed a few times until it feels comfortable. Then, start your next shooting session at 10 yards to build some confidence up.

If the above steps do not work, I would take Outdoor Adventures advice and check to make sure you don't have any clearance issues.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/23 20:09:02 (permalink)
    I took your guys advice about the 10 yards shooting.I was still shooting high.I checked the bow out pretty good an the one cable was almost into the string on the bottom cam.I'm not sure if this my problem.This was a after market string i put on when i bought the bow 7 months ago.Is this normal for a serving to wear out this fast where it rides on the cam?I shoot a good bit.This string is a winner's choice string.I just read on there web site that they gurantee no serving seperation.There is a one year warranty on these but i'm out of time for that.
    post edited by chicken27 - 2010/09/23 20:28:45
    BIGHEAD
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/24 05:18:44 (permalink)
    Chicken I have the alpha max 32 and it did the same thing serving separating at the sharpest point of the cam rotation The guy where i bought the bow put new serving on and said that this was NOT the first one he had fixed.And the plunger end pop off after about 50 shots or so. they replaced with a better plunger so they said.Same thing with the stock silencer's they just ripped apart,and replaced that too.I'll the to say I never had such problem with hoyt bows before. He has the maxxis for this comp bow it does the same!! I was told if it continues He will get me another bow from HOYT. With all these issue's I still hit very tight.

KEEP"EM SCREAM"EM DAVE  ONLY CHILDERN and WOMAN use ALWIVES FOR STRIPER BAIT
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/24 06:17:39 (permalink)
    BIGHEAD me too i been shooting hoyts for 19 years now an never even came close to having so many problems.The other day a piece of the camo limb came off.I guess it's like everything else prices went out of control and quality went way down.
    post edited by chicken27 - 2010/09/24 06:21:19
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/24 16:19:04 (permalink)
    I got to go to the shop early today.The one shop close to home told that he couldn't reserve it because it was a end serving.I took it to where i bought they got a new string out but for some reason he just reserved it.I shot it out to 45 yards with no problems today.
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/28 16:32:11 (permalink)
    This string was the brand frist string not winner's choice.
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/28 22:05:50 (permalink)

I respectfully disagree.  Shoot out to wherever you feel comfortable.  It is different to everyone.  Some guys are out to 45, and some guys are at 20.  I can generally put them all in a pie plate at 45.  Not much better.  Maybe a grapefruit if I am in the zone that night.  But if I see a slamhog at 50, see you in he
    II, from heaven.

Confidence dude, you will be fine.  You can't go out shooting after a customer gives you a whipping or the old lady rides your tail.  Like anything else, you have to be able to get in the zone.
      Just hope one of those bears from your trail cam doesnt decide to investigate what that green lump is up in his favorite tree.
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/28 22:35:40 (permalink)
    My advise was for this guy only, take a look at some of his post and you tell me if you would advise him to shoot farther than that. You are completely correct by saying shoot what is comfortable for you and lots of people can shoot great and kill deer past 40-50. I think he posted the same thing last year?
    chicken27
    Expert Angler
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/29 07:34:31 (permalink)
    Rollcaster if your talking about me you got the wrong guy.I only had a one pin sight last that was fixed.I could shoot 0 to 30 yard that's it.I don't want to have to shoot that far but i think you should be good at 45 just incase MR.big steps out.
    SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/29 09:10:08 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: tippecanoe

I respectfully disagree.  Shoot out to wherever you feel comfortable.  It is different to everyone.  Some guys are out to 45, and some guys are at 20.  I can generally put them all in a pie plate at 45.  Not much better.  Maybe a grapefruit if I am in the zone that night.  But if I see a slamhog at 50, see you in he
    II, from heaven.

Confidence dude, you will be fine.  You can't go out shooting after a customer gives you a whipping or the old lady rides your tail.  Like anything else, you have to be able to get in the zone.
      Just hope one of those bears from your trail cam doesnt decide to investigate what that green lump is up in his favorite tree.

I agree that shoot whatever you're comfortable with but problem is being comfortable with a foam target on flat ground with a range finder in a t-shirt is not the same as in a treestand with a live deer and with hunting clothes on.

People stretch their limits and that's why deer get wounded but the target is always center punched. The ethics of an individual hunter are only truely revealed when they are alone with no one watching.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    bigben7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 885
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/29 09:57:19 (permalink)
    unless ur hunting a field edge u likely arent going to have to worry about shooting more than 30 yards the first couple weeks anyway. too much vegetation.

good luck everyone. have a safe season,please wear your safety harnesses when hunting from a tree stand.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/29 10:32:42 (permalink)
    This summer i been shooting out to 60 yards with 3 out of 3 in the vitals 80 percent of the time.Any suggestions?

If you're missing the vitals 20% of the time, please do not hunt around here...
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/29 10:57:14 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

II, from heaven.

I agree that shoot whatever you're comfortable with but problem is being comfortable with a foam target on flat ground with a range finder in a t-shirt is not the same as in a treestand with a live deer and with hunting clothes on.

People stretch their limits and that's why deer get wounded but the target is always center punched. The ethics of an individual hunter are only truely revealed when they are alone with no one watching.

I agree completely here. I routinely practice out to 50+ yards and am confident that I can put most of my arrows in the kill zone at that range. But Kype nailed it, it is a lot different shooting 50 yards at a 3-D or target or a block. Throw some taget movement, branches, wind, less light, not knowing your yardage perfectly, ect. into the equation and that 50 yard shot is no longer a high percentage one. The longest shot I will take in a hunting situation is 30 yards which is along the edge of a brushy field.

I have heard far too many times about people taking much longer shots than they are comforatble with because it was a "monster buck". If you are not 100% confident with the range on a static target at a certain yardage, how in the heck do you expect to kill a deer at that range?
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: BAD NIGHT OF SHOOTING 2010/09/30 02:41:27 (permalink)
    There are archery hunters, and then there are guys who shoot their bows..
    ORIGINAL: Esox_Hunter

ORIGINAL: SilverKype

II, from heaven.

I agree completely here. I routinely practice out to 50+ yards and am confident that I can put most of my arrows in the kill zone at that range. But Kype nailed it, it is a lot different shooting 50 yards at a 3-D or target or a block. Throw some taget movement, branches, wind, less light, not knowing your yardage perfectly, ect. into the equation and that 50 yard shot is no longer a high percentage one. The longest shot I will take in a hunting situation is 30 yards which is along the edge of a brushy field.

I have heard far too many times about people taking much longer shots than they are comforatble with because it was a "monster buck". If you are not 100% confident with the range on a static target at a certain yardage, how in the heck do you expect to kill a deer at that range?

Jump to: