Silver Kype saved my butt!

Author
worm_waster
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 528
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/19 22:10:43 (permalink)

Silver Kype saved my butt!

After not archery hunting since 2000, I began practicing several months ago several evenings per week.  I have really progressed and am shooting well. 

On Saturday morning I awoke at 3:15 and headed South to 2B to take advantage of the early season antlerless season.

I arrived at my Dad's house around 5:30 and went to a stand that had produced before.  The stand was a fixed position with a climbing stick.  I climbed the stick and tied my haul line to the stand and went to the top.

Usually, I get in the stand and tether my harness.  In another thread, Silver Kype said that 85% of falls happen on ascent and decent.  With that in mind, I tethered to the tree just above the seat and knelt on the platform as I couldn't stand up with the tether that low.  I slid the strap up the trunk and got to my feet.  As soon as I stood up, both cable snapped and I fell about 2 feet until my harness grabbed. 

As soon as I swung around I was able to get on the climbing stick and climb down.  If I would have followed my usual routine and attached to the tree after getting in the stand, I would have fallen about 17 feet.

Thanks Again Jon.w_w.

P.S. I hunted from the base of the tree and had a 6 point dead to rights at 24 yards.  The mamas stayed farther away.  But it still beat a trip to the ER.

If it has fins and gills, I'm there.

3 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8505
    RE: Silver Kype saved my butt! 2010/09/19 23:22:28 (permalink)
    Wow Brian, that could ruin your day. Glad your ok.
    The full harness is the way to go. And good call on
    strapping in before you get onto your stand. Made me think on how
    I get into mine. Thanks for alerting us to such an accident.

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Silver Kype saved my butt! 2010/09/19 23:32:11 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: worm_waster

After not archery hunting since 2000, I began practicing several months ago several evenings per week.  I have really progressed and am shooting well. 

On Saturday morning I awoke at 3:15 and headed South to 2B to take advantage of the early season antlerless season.

I arrived at my Dad's house around 5:30 and went to a stand that had produced before.  The stand was a fixed position with a climbing stick.  I climbed the stick and tied my haul line to the stand and went to the top.

Usually, I get in the stand and tether my harness.  In another thread, Silver Kype said that 85% of falls happen on ascent and decent.  With that in mind, I tethered to the tree just above the seat and knelt on the platform as I couldn't stand up with the tether that low.  I slid the strap up the trunk and got to my feet.  As soon as I stood up, both cable snapped and I fell about 2 feet until my harness grabbed. 

As soon as I swung around I was able to get on the climbing stick and climb down.  If I would have followed my usual routine and attached to the tree after getting in the stand, I would have fallen about 17 feet.

Thanks Again Jon.w_w.

P.S. I hunted from the base of the tree and had a 6 point dead to rights at 24 yards.  The mamas stayed farther away.  But it still beat a trip to the ER.

And I wasn't even with you.......  

Thanks Jon

SilverKype
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3842
    RE: Silver Kype saved my butt! 2010/09/20 10:30:25 (permalink)
    Glad you are uninjured Brian.

My reports and advice are for everyone to enjoy, not just the paying customers.
    Jump to: