Author
jolie
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 348
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/17 12:23:25 (permalink)

Is the Brown better than a rainbow?

Why?

I keep noticing  you avid trout guys like the monster brownie, over a massive rainbow.

Even in Erie, Browns are given 2 to 1 "credit" over their larger Rainbow cousins in the one fly.

while I grant you that you're small fingerling or barely legal Rainbow stockie aint much of a fight; their small, often caught in cold waterand usually brought in green and (truth to be told) pretty hysterical/crazy for their size.

now on the other a 3#+ rainbow can be all you can take.  heavy forbid you get a jumper.

and they can be just beautiful esp if they get that intense red stripe. (and are nature grown, not lazy hatchery/farm animals)
post edited by jolie - 2010/09/17 15:34:39

20 Replies Related Threads

Accountant
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 528
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/17 12:51:27 (permalink)
    Which tastes better?
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/17 13:12:14 (permalink)
    it has more to do with Wild vs. Stocked than brown vs bow

wild bows are pound for pound some hard fighting fish
    problem is finding them over a pound

stocked bows...

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/17 13:15:12 (permalink)
    Anyone can catch a rainbow...
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/17 13:26:52 (permalink)
    you know I've not encased both in the "aluminum coffin of death" but I would say they both taste like fish food--IF stocked.

otherwise, trout is rather good smoked and it seems like a smoked trout taste is more how good your recipe is and how fresh your fish is.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    but this feeling that rainbows are much easier to catch seems to be part of why people take pride in browns.  I think they're a little off, though.

I think rainbows are only easier because they like current more and in places where a person spooks less fish.  Any big fish in shallow cover or in the tail end of a pool would be a hard fish to target.
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/17 13:44:08 (permalink)
    NO
    the state stocks a shltload of rainbows... because they are cheap
    this is usually in poor quality waterways that cannot support trout (both in terms of forage base, and 02 levels)

lots of stocked fish in poor quaility water = lots of caught fish

jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/17 14:20:14 (permalink)
    agreed... but

You do not think that rainbows favor current more than Browns?  Are you sure? I'm not a trout bum..but It always seemed like rainbows hung in heavier current to me.

huh.

I basing much of this on my experience at the Kinzua tailwaters.  both forage, O2, and temperature are generally appropriate for both fish. 

It does seem like rainbows are a easier to catch up here.

but then I do agree that the commission seems to go for rainbows because they are cheap.  and because of this maybe we catch more rainbows because there just plain are a lot more rainbows, (not their SO much easier to catch).

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/17 14:52:37 (permalink)
    Browns can tolerate slightly lower DO contents vs. rainbows. It is my understanding that rainbows are cheaper and easier to raise, which is why they dominate in the stocking efforts.

Without a doubt bows are easier to catch than browns.
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6356
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/17 16:56:49 (permalink)
    The reason browns are 2/1 over rainbows, at the "One Fly" is simply because there are less of them, and they are slightly more difficult to hook and land.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    outfortrout
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 123
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/18 00:38:55 (permalink)
    Good question Jolie. It's definitely true for me. For me me the order is Brown, Brook, Rainbow, then Palomino/Golden Rainbow a distant fourth. A lot for me just has to do with appearance. I love the way a Brown looks. There is also a lot of variety in the way Browns look. They seem to be more distinct than the other species. What's really cool is if you catch them with red spots. In some bodies of water they get them and in others they don't. I have no idea why. Rainbows are the champion fighters but Browns are my favorite.
    Flying Fish
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 240
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/18 10:04:39 (permalink)
    It is all about supply and demand.  Or so I was told in economics class year ago.  But seriously, we all want to catch something that is harder to catch.  If it were the other way around we would all want to catch the big bow.
    Nbobich
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/18 14:24:39 (permalink)
    They get there colors due to what they eat... Just learned that in class... Also I love the color and way brook trout look
    ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 120
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/20 09:31:36 (permalink)

Well, in all honesty, the big bow has been the one that has eluded me. I have caught tons of big browns, but the rainbows, the biggest one I caught was 23" the rest of the bows have all been 16-18".
    As far as fights.. The browns although sometimes acrobatic, mostly run and go deep.. the rainbows run and sometimes come 5 feet out of the water. I dont find either one particularly easier then the other.
    So i guess when I look at it, maybe the 16-18 inch rainbows are easy to catch, but the big bows seem to be harder to catch for me then the browns.
    ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/20 11:57:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Nbobich

They get there colors due to what they eat... Just learned that in class... Also I love the color and way brook trout look

I dint know what class you are taking, and I'm not saying what you said isn't true you may very well be correct, but I think the "color" you are referring to is the fish's flesh inside gets its color by what they eat. Some fish have white flesh and some have pink and that color is due to their diet. I think the color pattern on the outside has more to do with genetics then it does with what they eat. That's just my assumption anyways.
    S-10
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5185
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/20 14:36:44 (permalink)
    If your talking about the coloration on the outside skin, that comes from the amount of oxygen in the water they are in. In the case of the Kinzua dam, if you catch a large brown that has spent his time in or close to the tailrace it will be silver like a fresh steelhead with nearly black spots instead of the bright colors you find in a stream brown.
    ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/20 15:16:08 (permalink)
    see I dont know if I agree with that. I can understand it, but I just think its in the genes. I have been catching browns, and big browns in the river at the tailrace for years, and they all are different. I get some that are more silvery and some that are a dark yellow belly and dark spots. and they are all in the same area and caught at the same time. I just dont know. I think the fish is born with the pattern it takes on later in life. Maybe not, If I get time I will do some research and see if its documented.
    ORIGINAL: S-10

If your talking about the coloration on the outside skin, that comes from the amount of oxygen in the water they are in. In the case of the Kinzua dam, if you catch a large brown that has spent his time in or close to the tailrace it will be silver like a fresh steelhead with nearly black spots instead of the bright colors you find in a stream brown.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/20 15:21:50 (permalink)
    The last two bigger browns I caught in the spillway were very dark fish.

troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/20 15:21:55 (permalink)
    when dano , myself and doubletaper fished the tail waters we caught quite a few big rainbows in the 20 inch range in the fast water above the no wade zone (we got lucky ) and i must say it was all you could handle in the fast water and they went air born 2-3 feet. i do like to catch big browns better but i will take a 22 inch rainbow ontop or under as well. all fish were FAT river fish with alot of back bone too , not your typical stocked trout stream rainbow , so anyone that has never caught big bows out of the tail water they are not your typical rainbow !
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/20 15:49:50 (permalink)
    Those larger fish are tough in that heavy flow....

Of the 3 Brownies I've seen up there, 2-were lighter colored and the one was really dark brown..

There's just something about a big old hookjawed Brownie....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

jolie
    Expert Angler
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/20 15:50:52 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: troutslammer

when dano , myself and doubletaper fished the tail waters we caught quite a few big rainbows in the 20 inch range in the fast water above the no wade zone (we got lucky ) and i must say it was all you could handle in the fast water and they went air born 2-3 feet. i do like to catch big browns better but i will take a 22 inch rainbow ontop or under as well. all fish were FAT river fish with alot of back bone too , not your typical stocked trout stream rainbow , so anyone that has never caught big bows out of the tail water they are not your typical rainbow !

+1...

a trophy kinzua rainbow is NOT the weakly thing (breeder) you catch in stockie streams or trout ponds.  Neither are the browns.  To catch a big trout in heavy current up here is a FIGHT.

ubertracker
    Avid Angler
    RE: The Brown is better than a rainbow 2010/09/21 14:03:28 (permalink)
    I think the major reason Rainbows are caught more is simply there are more rainbow that are stocked then brown, so by percentage, you will catch more rainbows. But those statistics can be swayed by the time of the fishing that is being done. In the summer Rainbows fill the riffles and the browns go to their deep lair. If the majority of people that fish for trout in the summer fish the daylight hours, I am going to make a guess and say they are going to catch more Rainbows. If they swapped fishing times and instead of fishing the daylight hours, fished the night time hours I bet an increasing number of browns would be caught.
    The tailwaters holds monsters of both. I have seen rainbows 30" or better and have never caught one. I know there are just as big or bigger browns as well. I think a lot of the fish caught and kind of fish depends a lot on what time of the day people are fishing.
    The river gets a tremendous amount of people pressure whether it be fishermen, canoes, or jet boats.. all that traffic pushes those big boys in the deep holes and under rocks until night fall and then they come out and play.
    Pound for pound, I dont notice a big difference in the fight of either, I think they both are equal.
    Jump to: