fish gripper glove

Author
flyfan78
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 6
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/14 22:48:59 (permalink)

fish gripper glove

Hey guys i was wondering what type of glove or other grippers you recommend for gripping salmon. My fishing buddies and i usually have a net, but its way too inconvienent especially when you are trying to land a fish when the net is not near you or on you. thanks

....FISH ON!!!!!

13 Replies Related Threads

salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: fish gripper glove 2010/09/15 09:53:13 (permalink)
    You can tail them bare handed. 

Lyrical
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: fish gripper glove 2010/09/15 10:20:17 (permalink)
    Stopped using a clumsy net and glove years ago. I found that if you want to release your fish its nice to simply step back away from the river a bit when the fish tires and it will generally slip into the soft water on the edge where you can  go over and remove the hook with pliers while the fish is still in the water. If its really tired its good to hold it upright for a while in a current till it gets a little feisty and then just let go. If it doesn't swim off do the revival thing again.
     This is just as good as a net with a high percentage of success without all the trouble of carrying the net around. The glove was a good thing for tailing but to be honest I don't like the chance of getting someones hook in my hand by just grabbing on. Some of those fish look like a xmass tree as the year goes on.
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: fish gripper glove 2010/09/15 11:34:54 (permalink)
    I agree with everything the retired guy said.The only plus for a net is that you can,if you know what your doing,land that fish quicker and not stress it as much.
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1577
    RE: fish gripper glove 2010/09/15 11:42:22 (permalink)
    I agree with the retired guy.

There is no need for the accessories if you know how to bank a fish.

If the fish wins the battle close to shore, so be it.

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: fish gripper glove 2010/09/15 17:33:31 (permalink)
    but for taking sweet photos of fish you plan to hang on your wall of the fish you release .. do the fish a favor, get a nice soft mesh or rubber net & a glove.. Need not be any special glove...
    Both are cheap, easy & work ..

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: fish gripper glove 2010/09/15 18:32:05 (permalink)
    Best and cheapest glove Ive found is the free ones that came in my silverado and the wifes tahoe. They are knit with rubber bumps on them, I believe they sell them in autopart stores. I personally started useing them becouse of the smell of the salmons slime. After handeling alot of fish over many day stretchs couldnt get the mud shark stank off my hands especially later in season when you start catching beat fish, was looking for the tire iron in the wifes tahoe and found the free gloves they give you and tried them, when the trip was done after touching 15 to 20 fish I got home showered and could not smell the stank, now I use them when I know Im gonna be handeling alot of fish, when I fish alone I just beach them.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: fish gripper glove 2010/09/15 19:22:04 (permalink)
    i feel you 3fan. i sometimes smell like fish for days straight. i have never carried a net myself. i bare hand all of my kings tails. cohos and trout tails do slip out of your hand. thinking back, maybe i should carry a net for fish's sake and also the fact that i've lost 3- 20+ lb. steelies in the past 20 years. i really should get one... tuna has a good point. BTW, i rcognize your spot from your pic tuna...
    mxdad66
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 751
    RE: fish gripper glove 2010/09/15 21:03:41 (permalink)
    Always someone around to offer to net a fish for ya,think some of them actually show up just to net fish
    washdog
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 408
    RE: fish gripper glove 2010/09/15 22:05:21 (permalink)
    You better be careful when tailing em, look real good for broke off hooks in the fish before you go grabbing one. Many of the salmon have more than one hook hanging out of them once they've been in the stream for a while. 
    3fan
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 668
    RE: fish gripper glove 2010/09/16 14:37:40 (permalink)
    I use to be one of the guys happy to net your fish for ya untill I watched a guy come down with a fish on, asked a guy on shore to net it for him, the guy obliged and netted the foul hooked fish. The guy with the fish on then took the fish out of the net put it on a rope and headed off. The dec came out of nowhere and wrote the owner of the net a ticket for keeping a foul hooked fish! He tried to explain he didnt know the guy and was just being friendly and helping the guy out and they could have cared less. The guy with the fish on never even got a ticket or for that matter even a talking to about keeping the foul hooked fish, the only person they cared about was the net-man. So all you nice guys with nets beware, and all you guys without nets, know where your fish is hooked before you ask someone to net it.
    FINLESSBROWN
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 18
    RE: fish gripper glove 2010/09/16 16:47:42 (permalink)
    3fan,
    Great question!
    Assuming we're talking catch and release,
     Tail grab is OK, but if a steelie or koho, the tail will collapse and you'l lose hold.  also leaves you with the dilemma of what to do with an upside down fish you need to get a hook out of ( because you've got a proper hookup in the mouth, right?). The retired dude has the best method, if the fish is tired out enough. If it's still got energy, though, it will beat itself to hell on the rocks. I usually get personal and tire it out as much as it'll let me, and keep it under water in the shallow stuff. I kneel down in the water, usually hold it by the gill merge at the top of the head, slide thumb and index finger not too far inside (watch out for gill teeth) and hold it "still" to remove the fly without too much handling at all. Gloves and nets can foul up fins or scrape off some of the slime layer from their scales. For the Chinooks, I guess you could say that doesnt matter much 'cause they're here to spawn and die anyway. But if you mishandle a Steelie, that's just a crime.

Duck the chuckers-
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: fish gripper glove 2010/09/16 17:22:42 (permalink)
    I totally disagree about not using a net or glove when C_P_R , (catch ,photo,release) . A soft mesh net & glove will hold fish more harmless then dragging across rocks then dropping it a few times because it slipped out of your hand.. See it ALL the time.. Maybe thats why these fish are so dumb when they hit the river (LOL) ..
    Seriously though, If fishing with a friend , net the fish (soft or rubber mesh), then let it rest in the net , pick up for a few quick photos , back in net, release. Proper net material (mesh or rubber) and a glove is IMO the only way to go..

When fishing SOLO : nets still work but I consider it an option which 99% of the time is hooked on my jacket anyway.. Glove a must have..

Have fun.. Brookies look out... Yes I'll have a net for those wigglers !!

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: fish gripper glove 2010/09/16 17:34:58 (permalink)
    Right on Tuna- I have seen too many of those releases where the fish is out of the water for everyone to look at and a photo session and then just thrown back in ( after the mandatory dropping ). Unless you are goping to actually keep it please keep it in the water.
    Jump to: