Don't know what this subject should be !

Author
bigbuck101
Novice Angler
  • Total Posts : 57
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/14 09:50:02 (permalink)

Don't know what this subject should be !

I have seen this young buck with the malformed rack numerous times this summer with a mature doe in the back field just outside the woodline. No fawns appeared at any time but I think they were left in hiding.

He is now appearing in the back yard at least twice a week with the twin fawns and no mature doe. The fawns always lead him and he follows them when returning to the woods. My theory is that something happened to the mother.

Still in velvet and I believe he will continue to carry it.

"X" rated picture follows:

Looks to me like he is missing 1/3 of his "hardware". Do you agree?

6 Replies Related Threads

MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Don't know what this subject should be ! 2010/09/14 11:05:50 (permalink)
    it does look that way.

Here is a neat example of antler growth from our cameras this year.

You can see here in the first picture that this buck has a malformed left antler it is actually growing horizontally behind his head. This pic is from the last week of June.

Here is the same buck taken in the first week of August. You can tell it is the same one by the notch in the bottom side of his right ear.

He still has the horizontal antler behind the ears, but look at the 5 weeks of growth out of the pedicel, pretty cool.\

Not sure I want the job of inspecting thier "junk" to determine the extent of their injuries however....

Here is one more that we call Mr. Crab. One of the guys that checks the wells in the area found a similar antler with a piece of skull still attached, early last winter.

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Don't know what this subject should be ! 2010/09/14 11:11:53 (permalink)
    NOW I FEEL BETTER !!!!!

After being made fun of for naming some of the deer around here we see that MM does the same thing !!!

jrm45
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 284
    RE: Don't know what this subject should be ! 2010/09/14 11:12:20 (permalink)
    i got one too.... i'll post a pic when i get home..
    MuskyMastr
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3032
    RE: Don't know what this subject should be ! 2010/09/14 11:17:52 (permalink)
    Usually we name them things like "jerky" , " braised backstraps" etc....

Better too far back, than too far forward.
    Dr. Trout
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4417
    RE: Don't know what this subject should be ! 2010/09/14 11:23:33 (permalink)
    I'm stuck with whitey, suzy, peggy, spot, limpy oh and one year I named a spike "dink"
    post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/14 11:24:45
    RSB
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Don't know what this subject should be ! 2010/09/14 22:58:21 (permalink)
    The buck in the first set of pictures appears to have broken his skull and relocated the pedical. When that happens the antler will continue to grow each year. I suspect he broke it this year shortly before he started growing this years antlers and most of the growth went into healing his skull. If he survives in future years his antler from the misplaced pedical might grow more normally even though it comes out the side of his head. If he has lost his testicles he will not shed his velvet and he will grow to a huge size. But it appears to me that he has at least one testicle so I suspect he will continue to function pretty much as normal once his skull is fully recovered.

The buck in the second set of pictures appears to have split his left antler beam about as soon as it started to grow. When that happens they will grow parts of multiple antlers from the same pedical pretty much as this one has. If the pedical isn’t damaged he will grow a normal antler in future years. If you take a buck and evenly split the new growth when it first starts to grow the buck will often grow two, though usually somewhat deformed, antlers from the same pedical.

When a buck is working on healing a broken bone on one side of his body during the time his antlers are growing it will almost always cause a deformed antler on the opposite side of his body. That doesn’t appear to be the cause of either of these deformed antlers though.
     R.S. Bodenhorn      
    Jump to: