"There was so much......"

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/11 07:19:29 (permalink)

"There was so much......"

Spent some time this week visiting with the family of a close friend who suddenly passed away due to a stroke at the young age of 56. Took alot better care of himself than I do. He loved casting a line and walking the trails....always had a smile on his face. I loved this dude. Knew him my entire life..shared elementary school together. I was going to put this trip off another year - something I've done now for the past several years. Been reading about it, looking at all the different options but yesterday I sent the deposit. What made me do it this time was what his son told me as I was closing the door to the pick-up about ready to leave.

"There was so much he wanted to do"

That turned the corner for me and I'm taking my son with me...August of 2011.
Extravagant - maybe, better things to spend my $ on - perhaps.   

But life --- well, we all should realize is just too d**n short.

I just pray that nothing happens in the next year to take this dream of mine away.

http://www.wildernessplacelodge.com/

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

11 Replies Related Threads

woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8511
    RE: "There was so much......" 2010/09/11 07:37:27 (permalink)
    Sorry for your loss steel. I know how you feel.
    You are right on about life is short. Wish I would have done something like that with my dad.
    We will celebrate his 89 birthday in 2 weeks. Enjoy your trip and God bless.                                   John

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: "There was so much......" 2010/09/11 07:57:07 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear of your loss..
    Life is short and very unpredictable.
    We have to tell the one's we love and our friends how we feel each and every day as they or we may not be here tomorrow..
    My prayers to you and his family....

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: "There was so much......" 2010/09/11 08:54:53 (permalink)
    you never know when it is your time to go............I get goosebumps everytime I watch a video on Alaska.....a place I have never been to, but a place that I love.......and with the changing times and minds of those who do not cherish such a wonderful place (No Pebble Mine !!), you just never know how long Alaska will be Alaska.....

live it up..........you only get one ride on this marble............

www.2bonthewater.com
    PHOTOJIM
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 107
    RE: "There was so much......" 2010/09/11 09:55:35 (permalink)
    You can not put an expense on time spent with loved ones following a dream because you never know what the future will bring.  
    6point7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 964
    RE: "There was so much......" 2010/09/11 11:36:35 (permalink)
    Sorry to hear about your loss. Thoughts and prayers to his family. Keep your chin up. ENJOY ALASKA!!!
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: "There was so much......" 2010/09/11 13:52:50 (permalink)
    Sorry for your loss steely!

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    LoganWade03
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 831
    RE: "There was so much......" 2010/09/11 15:53:08 (permalink)
    Had a similar realization this year but he was much younger than your friend...brings the whole live for today because tomorrows not promised saying to light.  Sorry for your loss and enjoy alaska

The moment of truth. Where all other things unconsciously melt away from our minds the instant a fish takes our fly. We stand there on the water with wide eyes, caught in a battle stance with an idea of confidence and hope
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: "There was so much......" 2010/09/11 19:55:40 (permalink)
    Sorry for the loss. I will bet you will live that dream soon so when you get there enjoy every minute you have while there. Enjoy my friend     

The Deetz

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: "There was so much......" 2010/09/11 21:22:08 (permalink)
    I would like to add 1 bit of advise to all, If you know any friends that are under the weather, take time NOW TO SEND THEM A CARD OR PHONE THEM IF YOU CAN'T VISIT before it is too late. You will surely regret not making the effort if they pass before you get around to it. This past week I just lost 3 friends that I have known for over 40 yrs,they all had cancer & 2 of them died before I got around to call,the other I visited in the hosp. the day before he passed. He had been sick & when we went fishing he would say that he hoped that he could make ot up for Steel 1 more time. Unfortunatly he didn't make it. sam
    Split Shot
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 891
    RE: "There was so much......" 2010/09/11 22:09:19 (permalink)
    Sorry for your loss also Crappie!

My Wife said, if I go fish'n one more time, she'll leave me! God, I'm going to miss her!
    indsguiz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6360
    RE: "There was so much......" 2010/09/11 22:34:56 (permalink)
    Steely, Sorry to hear about your loss of a friend. Make the most of your trip and take plenty of pictures of you with your son , for the memories.

Illegitimis Non carborundum
    Jump to: