Yough dam

Author
eye-c-man
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 223
  • Reward points: 0
2010/09/05 11:48:54 (permalink)

Yough dam

Has any one fished it lately ?  Wanted to try a couple of my used outboard motors out & thought might as well throw the fishing gear in as well. Never fished this lake , don't want exact locations , just general info. Thanks in advance for any info.   Paul

6 Replies Related Threads

mr.crappie
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2549
    RE: Yough dam 2010/09/05 11:52:43 (permalink)
    Paul, I just read that the water level is getting very low & you may have problems . I would call somewhere if you can. sam
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: Yough dam 2010/09/05 15:18:10 (permalink)
    not sure what kinna problems you may have...the launches are long and work well till late Oct. and i find fishing there this time of year better than summer...and this cold weather will keep alot of skiers and jet skis off the water... cold night may produce some walleye

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

davef
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 983
    RE: Yough dam 2010/09/05 18:54:11 (permalink)
    You can launch at the breast as long as the water level is above xx90. Off the top of my head I can't remember if the first 2 numbers are 11 or 13. Last I looked at the Army Corp web site you still had about 20 feet of dropping to go before the breast launch was out of the water.
    Traillblazer
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 164
    RE: Yough dam 2010/09/05 19:20:51 (permalink)
    The Youghiogheny River Lake has entered into "drought watch" conditions, prompting the early closure of several recreational areas.

The boat ramp at the lake remains open, according to Brian Luprek, Yough Lake park manager.

"We do try to keep the boat launch here at the dam open as long as we can, because there's good fishing on the lake for bass and walleye," he said. "We still have about 20 more feet of lake level before we would look at closing that."

The areas affected by the closures include Tub Run Campground boat launch and beach, Jockey Hollow boat launch and Mill Run boat launch and beach. With current predictions, the Army Corps of Engineers anticipates closing Spillway Beach.

Luprek said the lake is nearly 19 feet below the target level for this time of year.

"The levels are below average for this time of year, but it's not the worst we've ever seen," he said, adding that these are close to the unprecedented levels in 1991.

The early closures might affect the plans of some swimmers, boaters and fishermen for the holiday weekend, but Luprek said this is the time of year that all recreational activities begin to slow.

"Labor Day weekend is a busier weekend ... because it's a holiday, but it's not as bad as the Fourth of July or Memorial Day weekends," he said. "When school starts, the recreation really starts to slow down."

According to the corps, Youghiogheny River Lake was built for flood-damage reduction, low-flow augmentation for water quality and recreation.

In a normal year, Luprek said, the water level draw-down begins in mid-July. In most years, the draw-down is gradual, allowing most recreation facilities to remain serviceable through Labor Day.

Because there has been little rainfall in the Youghiogheny River Watershed, most of the water to meet the requirement is being provided from corps' reservoirs.
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: Yough dam 2010/09/08 11:28:51 (permalink)
    i will be dropping the boat in saturday and sunday morning at the breast if anyone else is out fishin this weekend!!

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

chuckell
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Yough dam 2010/09/24 21:28:02 (permalink)
    +
    post edited by chuckell - 2010/10/04 04:58:41
    Jump to: