caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color.

Author
PolishfishermNY
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 158
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/29 21:24:14 (permalink)

caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color.

hey guys im askin u for help because i caught my first musky of my life and probably last 1 that im keeping. im looking to keep the fishes color until i have enough money to take it to the taxidermist. for now i serum wrapped him and put him in the freezer think that should be good enough. if u guys have any tricks or info plz help. biggest fish of my life! I WILL HAVE THE FULL STORY TOMORROW BOYS IM SO EXCITED 
O YEA HES 25LB. 47IN. GIRTH ABOUT 2 FEET.

Fish On!!!!!!

15 Replies Related Threads

outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/29 21:59:00 (permalink)
    congrats man nice fish!
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/29 22:07:06 (permalink)
    Cut 2 pieces of cardboard about the same size of the tail and tape it up to keep the tail from folding or breaking in freezer storage. Wrap the fish real good in layered newspaper using freezer tape to adhear...make sure the side fins are laying flat against the fishes body. Once its all wrapped up in paper, put it in a heavy plastic bag of some sort and wrap it up good; tape it up. Good luck.

According to this weight calculator...if in fact the fish had a 24" girth, it should weigh around 33lbs...try it out for yourself.

http://muskie.outdoorsfirst.com/weighit.asp
    post edited by ShutUpNFish - 2010/08/29 22:09:12
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8510
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/29 22:07:44 (permalink)
    Did you get pixs? If so take that with you to show the taxidermist.
    He can paint it to match. 

Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/29 23:05:43 (permalink)
    borax borax

I have become comfortably numb
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4528
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/29 23:16:01 (permalink)
    Duud....I am sooooo jealous....still after one of those. Please share the pics when u can. Awesome catch kid!

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
    I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/30 09:01:45 (permalink)
    The taxidermist will determine the color! I caught a beautiful thick bodied rainbow from a catfish pond! I was thinking about eating it, but my buddy says you've got to have it mounted "unnamed" will do you a good job. After over a year and a half and being repeatedly lied to my son (who now does taxidermy) and I went to pick it up. Before we got there he commented - "You watch Dad, he'll have painted it just like a regular rainbow"! This fish was silver - like a fresh run steelhead" , but Jeremy was right - It looked like a regular stream caught rainbow. We had even given the guy a picture that showed the silver and thick body!! Needless to say, we never went back nor recommended that guy!
    JEB
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2248
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/30 09:05:04 (permalink)
    I agree with the above.The most important thing is keeping the fish straight in the freezer. The Taxi guy can match the color with good pics, thats not an issue.
    Here's how I kept my few fish in freezer B4 I had them mounted. This is what my Taxi guy suggested.
    Wrap the whole fish in a damp/wet towel, Then vacuum seal and put in the freezer. .If the fish is big enough, use the cardboard as suggested above. If the fish is vacuum sealed it can sit up to 2 years in freezer B4 it gets mounted.
    sig220e
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 287
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/30 09:51:50 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: PolishfishermNY

hey guys im askin u for help because i caught my first musky of my life and probably last 1 that im keeping. im looking to keep the fishes color until i have enough money to take it to the taxidermist. for now i serum wrapped him and put him in the freezer think that should be good enough. if u guys have any tricks or info plz help. biggest fish of my life! I WILL HAVE THE FULL STORY TOMORROW BOYS IM SO EXCITED 
    O YEA HES 25LB. 47IN. GIRTH ABOUT 2 FEET.

SWEEEEET Catch!  Hope you find the right taxidermist to do it justice!

Look for truth inwardly, not outwardly.

B. Lee

Good sense is the master of human life.

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/30 09:57:45 (permalink)
    Way to go.
    Got any pics?
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/30 11:42:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jon_e_si

The taxidermist will determine the color! I caught a beautiful thick bodied rainbow from a catfish pond! I was thinking about eating it, but my buddy says you've got to have it mounted "unnamed" will do you a good job. After over a year and a half and being repeatedly lied to my son (who now does taxidermy) and I went to pick it up. Before we got there he commented - "You watch Dad, he'll have painted it just like a regular rainbow"! This fish was silver - like a fresh run steelhead" , but Jeremy was right - It looked like a regular stream caught rainbow. We had even given the guy a picture that showed the silver and thick body!! Needless to say, we never went back nor recommended that guy!

I had something like that happen with my son's first steelhead. Of course I should not be too disappointed. I took in a dead fish, and he handed what looked like a very dead fish.
    post edited by cbeagler - 2010/08/30 11:43:55
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/30 12:50:35 (permalink)
    http://www.fittantereplicas.com/

All you need is a few GOOD photos, length and girth. You will have a copy of your fish. He is good, trust me. He has done more than a few of my mounts, you can not tell they are replicas.
    ShutUpNFish
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3834
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/30 15:24:32 (permalink)
    No offense anzo, but I've seen 'em all Fittante, Lax and many more....IMHO the repros look too fake to me, nothing like the real thing. And every repro I've ever seen has been exagerrated in size, if you know what I mean

Been through this time and time again....NOTHING wrong a guy keeping a "personal best" fish to have mounted on his wall. C&R has certainly done wonders for muskie fishing over the years and I'm a true advocate of it; however folks just need to be careful about dissin' a guy for keeping a fish of a lifetime...Anymore, the whole purist attitude in the muskie rhealm really gags me!
    PolishfishermNY
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 158
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/30 16:26:08 (permalink)
    THE THINK IS THAT WE KEPT FISHING I GOT ICE AND A BIG BAG AND WE PUT HIM IN THERE. SO HE COULD OF LOST HIS MASS

Fish On!!!!!!
    rollcaster
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1091
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/30 17:31:33 (permalink)
    Nothin wrong with keepin it. If Im guna pay to have a fish mounted its guna be a skin mount, not a replica.
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: caught my first musky need sdome help on how to keep his color. 2010/08/30 20:48:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: ShutUpNFish

No offense anzo, but I've seen 'em all Fittante, Lax and many more....IMHO the repros look too fake to me, nothing like the real thing. And every repro I've ever seen has been exagerrated in size, if you know what I mean

Been through this time and time again....NOTHING wrong a guy keeping a "personal best" fish to have mounted on his wall. C&R has certainly done wonders for muskie fishing over the years and I'm a true advocate of it; however folks just need to be careful about dissin' a guy for keeping a fish of a lifetime...Anymore, the whole purist attitude in the muskie rhealm really gags me!

No where in my post did i preach that what he did was right or wrong. I was giving my advise, which the original poster asked for. I did not say anything bad about him keeping a fish he caught, he caught it he has the choice. So please read my post again and see that i did not "dissin" this fella for that. You can bet if i have what i believe beyond reasonable doubt to be a state (world, but i doubt thats in PA) record in the boat it is getting a crack on its noodle. As for anything less its C P R, thats what i do.

As for the replica, i am very pleased and proud of my repro's i have photos of me and the fish next to them. You can not tell the difference. I am speaking for Fittante, there are other who do repro's i would agree with you that they do not look correct, thats why i choose Fittante. But as for what i own, i am very happy with my mounts. I know in a few years when the skin mounts dry out they could crack and loose there fins... mine will need a wipe of a paper towel to shine like new.

This does not pretain to the original poster but I have heard many of stories of people catching large fish to get mounted, put them in the freezer. Get a price from a taxidermist to have sticker shock, only to go home and throw there prize fish into the weeds. That is one reason why i went with repro. I could order them when i had the money and no freezer space lost.

Congrats Polish. I seen the fish on your other post. You should be very proud. Many musky guys could go there whole life for a fish that size.

On a side note, Fittante also does skin mounts the last i knew. So that is also an option for the kid. Who better at painting muskys than a guy who does muskys (as a majority ) for a living? He is use to copying marking from photos. IMO he is the best

In no way am i tring to start a war on ethics of keeping fish, i was giving advise. This board is already full of people who do nothing but cause battles, thats not my intention, thats not what i do. Take my advise and expernces for what they are worth and use them if you can.
    Jump to: