PGN Article On Antler Restrictions

Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Author
CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 164
  • Reward points: 0
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/08 15:52:02 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: deerfly

Here is a quote from DR. Rosenberry regarding buck hunter success rates with ARs as compared to 20 years ago.

Increasing the standard for the harvest of a legal buck with APRs could have reduced the number of hunters who were successful. Tracking hunter success rates over the last three decades has shown little change in the percentage of successful hunters. Today, licensed Pennsylvania hunters are as successful harvesting a buck under APRs as their predecessors were 20 years ago under the old antler restriction

Based on that statement it would appear that the PGC is relying on decreasing the number of hunters in order to keep the buck harvest rate stable.

Wading into this waaaaaaaay late and not reading all the other pages, it appears to me you are not seeing this for what it says. It says "could have". The very next line says the "percentage of successful hunters". I will make the assumption that when they throw the term 'percentage' around they'e already adjusted the numbers for hunters and harvested deer. But if the success rate is basically the same, then how is it so much worse?

If there are less hunters, then so be it. Hunter numbers were declining before all these new regulations anyway, so how can we say HR/AR is the sole reason. Nonsense.

My personal opinion here in northwest PA we are seeing more big bucks than ever before. Our trail cam pix don't lie.

World Famous
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2213
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/08 16:02:46 (permalink)
Cross, just askin, did you have a lot of trail cams out before AR?
deerfly
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1271
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/08 16:42:05 (permalink)
Increasing the standard for the harvest of a legal buck with APRs could have reduced the number of hunters who were successful

The fact is APRs did reduce the number of hunters that were successful and that is why he quickly shifted to discussing percentages rather than actual harvest numbers.. If you go back 20 years to 1989 the buck harvest was 170K compared to 108K in 2009. The buck harvest success rate was 17% in both years but only because there were there were 316,491 fewer hunters. So if this years buck harvest dropped to 75K and the number of hunters decreased enough to keep the harvest rate at 17%, would you the plan?
If there are less hunters, then so be it. Hunter numbers were declining before all these new regulations anyway, so how can we say HR/AR is the sole reason. Nonsense

I didn't say that. What I said we were losing deer hunters at a much faster rate than general license holders and that can be attributed to HR and ARs as indicated in the AUdit.

Just because you are lucky enough to have good hunting,remember it is only because HR failed in your area. In 2009 1A was ranked fifth in the state for total harvest and 1B was ranked #7. So 15 of 22 WMU's have worse hunting than in the NW and 2G is only harvesting 1.6 buck/SM.
CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/09 11:22:37 (permalink)
not as many, but yes. And the old kind with film and a dozen C batteries too :)

But my area of NW PA seems to have alot bigger bucks than most places in the state, so my experiences probably aren't representative of the whole state. No, I know they aren't (I get around).

CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/09 11:27:16 (permalink)
Here is a question for you.

Have you researched other states, and broken down their decrease in license sales to who is hunting deer and who is not?

I would think we need to determine if social trends in less hunters/deer hunters as a whole is further sped along by HR/AR. Let's be fair now and not just rush to judgement based on partial information.

I haven't done it myself, and I wouldn't know where to look. But if other states aren't seeing decreases in hunters/deer hunters then your point is valid. I'd be looking at states like NY, OH, WV for starters since they are in close proximity to PA and fair examples for alot of reasons. I wouldn't be comparing them to southern states because of population shifts (people moving from north to south).

deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/09 12:35:31 (permalink)
I would think we need to determine if social trends in less hunters/deer hunters as a whole is further sped along by HR/AR. Let's be fair now and not just rush to judgement based on partial information

What social trends would suddenly cause 205K hunters to quit deer hunting even though over 100K of those same hunters still bought general hunting licenses? Why did the number of archers only decrease from 284K in 2000 to 271K in 2008 which is a decrease of only 5%.
CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/09 13:56:34 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: deerfly

I would think we need to determine if social trends in less hunters/deer hunters as a whole is further sped along by HR/AR. Let's be fair now and not just rush to judgement based on partial information

What social trends would suddenly cause 205K hunters to quit deer hunting even though over 100K of those same hunters still bought general hunting licenses? Why did the number of archers only decrease from 284K in 2000 to 271K in 2008 which is a decrease of only 5%.

Again, what has gone on in other states with general hunting licenses, deer permits, and archery tags? Is it just a PA thing or part of a bigger trend. I'd think that would be the first thing to cross reference to make sure this isn't just a PA-specific issue related to HR/AR.

Personally, I think it's a combination of everything.

deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/09 14:20:59 (permalink)
I am not about to do a lot of research just to satisfy your curiosity because no matter what I would find it is not likely it would change your mind, but here is a quote from Kip Adams on the subject of hunter stats.
Hunters lost and found – According to NSSF, 31 states lost hunters from 1995 to 2005. Massachusetts lost nearly 41% of its hunters while Washington lost 36%, Rhode Island lost 33%, New Jersey lost 27%, and Hawaii lost 26%. However, that means 19 states increased their number of hunters during that decade. North Dakota gained a whopping 40%, Tennessee gained 29%, Oklahoma gained 27%, Kentucky gained 19% and Arkansas hunter numbers increased 17%. Noticeably absent from these lists are the “Big 3”. Texas, Pennsylvania and Michigan are the perennial leaders in hunter license sales and from 1995 to 2005 Texas held steady with only a 2% decline while license sales dropped nearly 12% in Pennsylvania and nearly 16% in Michigan. That means Pennsylvania and Michigan each lost nearly as many hunters during that time period as there are in North Dakota!

Dr. Trout
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4417
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/09 14:26:05 (permalink)
So the deer hunters in Michigan are even more peeved than some of the ones here (16% drop compared to 12% here).. and so they just quit hunting because of their game agency policies and lack of deer ... interesting.,.

You would think with the economy situation in Michigan that more would be hunting for a food source...
post edited by Dr. Trout - 2010/09/09 14:28:03
CrossForkWookie
Avid Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/09 14:53:48 (permalink)
Ok, since I was curious...........and had some time:

Using google to search for statistics on PA license sales, I found this. Since I know Mr. Bleech I will assume the data he procured is valid. Click this link and then follow the link for sales history.

http://www.goerieblogs.com/sports/nwpaoutdoors/?p=736

I did some math on a couple of the years. I didn't do every year, I don't have that much time but rather in 10 year increments with 1983 and 2003 years thrown in for an illustration I'll make later.

1962 total license sales (adding all lines given) 822,685
1970 total license sales (adding all lines given) 1,182,860 (a 43.780% increase in sales since 1962)
1980 total license sales (adding all lines given) 1,299,919 (a 9.896% increase in sales since 1970)
1983 total license sales (adding all lines given) 1,205,524 (this is 20 years before the new management plan)
1990 total license sales (adding all lines given) 1,156,895 (a 11.002% decrease in sales since 1980)
2000 total license sales (adding all lines given) 994,160 (a 14.066% decrease since 1990)
2003 total license sales (adding all lines given) 963,075 first year of AR
2008 total license sales (adding all lines given) 853,683 (a 14.130% decrease since 2000)

2008 being the last year data was available when this article was written in 2009.

Notable dates: 2001 first concurrent buck/doe season. 2003: Antler restrictions/HR implemented.

So what does it all mean? I'm not sure, you can cut this data up lots of different ways. But if you look at license sales from 1983 to 2003, the twenty years immediately prior to the new deer management plan there is a -20.111% decrease in license sales over that time period.

1993 to 2008, you see an -11.358% decrease. So to me, if HR/AR is really the culprit of anything when it comes to license sales, it's SLOWING the trend of decreased sales. Slowing a trend that ALREADY developed well before HR/AR was implemented.

Something is going on in PA for sure, but to say it's ALL HR/AR is absolutely crazy. And those of you who constantly say that is the SOLE reason just look more eccentric to the rest of us, and your message becomes lost in that.

If I am missing something here, or used this data incorrectly please let me know.

post edited by CrossForkWookie - 2010/09/09 15:04:20
DarDys
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4927
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/09 15:18:14 (permalink)
Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but I believe the point was that although it is a known fact that LICENSE sales are declining in PA, those that identify themselves as DEER HUNTERS are declining at a faster pace.  In other words, of those still purchasing a license, fewer of them are doing so to hunt deer.

As an example:

Year X in PA = 100 license buyers of which 80 identify themselves as deer hunters.  That means that of all license buyers 80% hunt deer and 20% hunt something other than deer.

Year Y in PA = license sales drop by 15% which means that only 85 licenses are sold.  At the same time, there is a 25% decrease in those that identifly themselves as deer hunters.  That means that of the original 80 hunters in Year X that identified themselves as deer hunters only 60 do in Year Y.  That means that 60 of 85 license buyers or 70% of license buyers hunt deer with 30% hunting something other than deer.

So, while there may be a myriad of reasons for a drop in license sales, there can be but a few for a higher drop in those identifying themselves as deer hunters.  Therefore, license sales figures alone don't tell the whole story.

As an example:

Year X in any state but PA = 100 license buyers of which 80 identify themselves as deer hunters.  That means that of all license buyers 805 hunt deer and 20% hunt something other than deer.

Year Y in any state but PA there is the same 15% drop in license sales = 85 license sold.  However, of those identifying themselves as deer hunters there is no drop.  That would mean that 80 of 85 license holders are deer hunters which equates to 94% identifying themselves as deer hunters.

In other words determining the ratio between license holders and deer hunters requires both numbers to draw any conclusions -- sort of like trying to make a PB & J without either the PB or the J -- it just doesn't work.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
deerfly
Pro Angler
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/09 15:55:45 (permalink)
DarDy is right. you need both the number of general license holder as well as the number of deer hunters to see the effects of the new deer management plan on the number of deer hunters and that is how I calculated general license sales decreased by 11% while deer hunters dropped by 23% since the plan was implemented in 2000.
So what does it all mean? I'm not sure, you can cut this data up lots of different ways. But if you look at license sales from 1983 to 2003, the twenty years immediately prior to the new deer management plan there is a -20.111% decrease in license sales over that time period.

You forgot to mention that the old HR plan was implemented in 1980 and the PGC has been trying to reduce the herd since then.
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/09 17:37:11 (permalink)
"Something is going on in PA for sure, but to say it's ALL HR/AR is absolutely crazy. And those of you who constantly say that is the SOLE reason just look more eccentric to the rest of us, and your message becomes lost in that."

Could you please point to one instance of anyone on this board declaring it was the ONLY reason? Noone cares if its the SOLE reason. It is a significant reason. Amd om my book, probably the number one reason. And its a reason that shouldnt exist in the first place. Its a factor that something most definately could be and should be something done about. I dont care if you have to factor in less time to hunt, changing times, whatever else.... With those things PLUS hr you have more lost hunters than WITHOUT.

Its not possible to live in a state where the dissent is higher than anywhere in the nation, the management agency is being sued, being denied a fee increase, was forced an audit and legislators in the state are constantly bombarded with complaints..... And not expect that it has some effect on hunter recruitment and retention.

If we didnt have such an extremely strong hunting tradition in this state, and its been shown time and again in various polls how we rank in time we have historically spent afield and other things compared to others,... If this nonsense had occurred in other states, theyd have probably lost a much larger percentage of their hunters than we have.
post edited by wayne c - 2010/09/09 17:38:53
wayne c
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3473
RE: PGN Article On Antler Restrictions 2010/09/09 17:41:35 (permalink)
"Not to put words in anyone's mouth, but I believe the point was that although it is a known fact that LICENSE sales are declining in PA, those that identify themselves as DEER HUNTERS are declining at a faster pace. In other words, of those still purchasing a license, fewer of them are doing so to hunt deer."

Excellent point Dardys.Im not sure how much more proof one might need?
post edited by wayne c - 2010/09/09 17:42:30
Page: << < ..678 Showing page 8 of 8
Jump to: