What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most?

Author
draketrutta
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1577
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/17 20:35:03 (permalink)

What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most?

Like many main streets in America, old time businesses have disappeared over the years.

Pulaski is no different.

One that closed several years ago that I really miss was Earl's Bar just across the Town Pool on Jefferson Street. The old guy Jim always had a pot of chili cookin and a good story to tell. The ambiance/atmosphere of that place was like stepping into a time tunnel and traveling back to the 40's...

It was part of my ritual to head to Earls for a bowl of chili and a cold draft.

The building even had a balcony where you could hang out, drink a beer, and watch the wargames in the river below...

Anyone else have a memory to share?
post edited by draketrutta - 2010/08/17 20:43:13

23 Replies Related Threads

RichW
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/17 20:59:08 (permalink)
    I do miss   Frick"n"Fracks!   Not the same atmosphere as Earls I would assume.  Never was up there fishing when Earls was open so never had the chance to sip a beer and enjoy the ambience.

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/17 21:38:13 (permalink)
    Frick and Fracks was a good spot for a mid day break,there always was a good beef stew brewing and a waitress there was always smiling,so we nicknamed her "smily",original was n't it?
    The Log Cabin was always good,except for the crowds,hated to see that go.
    The Waffle House did n't last long,too bad 'cause they had a good breakfast.
    Was surprised to see C&M close,they were there forever.
    Another place was Memories,good food with a quiet atmosphere,probably too good for Pulaski.
    Cedar Post had real good food,but I guess the money was tempting so now it's a drugstore.
    Etc.,etc.,etc.......
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/17 23:55:36 (permalink)
    the old sportsman inn was a fun place

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3207
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/18 21:03:07 (permalink)
    wasn't a bar, but is now napa auto parts. it was a little grocery/hot food place. i had many cold days fishing below town though the staircase and it was always good to go there and get a warm beverage, and something simple like cottage cheese or chicken wings. what was the name of that place? how about the cedar post?? they always lived in the cabins shasow, but they had a good prime rib there as well. i had many thanksgiving dinners in either the cabin or the post back in the 90's... the best was having thanksgiving lunch in the cdar post all decked out in fishing clothes (which back then was flannel shirts and old school thermals) with messed up hair from cotton snow caps while all of the old ladies are all dressed and drinking tea on their thanksgiving afternoon. now those were the days... and yes, there were maybe a few anglers seen through out the weekend... fish on
    Cohookhead
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/18 21:14:24 (permalink)
    For me it's the C&M Diner. Good dinners before we headed back home. Plus it was fun to hear all the fishin' stories from the nearby tables.

Stress is just one hookset away from being gone.
    dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/18 21:21:52 (permalink)
    man that cnm used to be jammed at 430 5 in the morning in salmon season. i remember seeing it less and less crowds in the morning each year, and then one day it just closed. when i was just starting to drive and what not it was always great to stop in there for a coffee at 3 am after shooting up for a half day death run. gotta love it
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/18 23:23:15 (permalink)
    the gold mine bar

I have become comfortably numb
    waDerboy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1910
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/19 04:54:04 (permalink)
    The silver star grocery. Blast freeze enough salmon to break a truck spring on the way home.
    If the walls could talk Tuna.
    Over the Hill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2382
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/25 09:12:22 (permalink)
    Ceder post and goldmine! That brings back some good times! Valley inn was a close walk when staying at redwood. Though recently closed, I always liked the Golden Fish for dinners. The salad bar had some great homemade recipes....

OVER THE HILL

Some people are like slinky's; not really good for anything, but, they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs...
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/25 17:57:04 (permalink)
    I was not aware that the Golden Fish closed.. Another one bites the dust.

I rarely go into Pulaski anymore - unless it is to pick up some groceries at P&C that I can't get at Little Lukeys in Altmar.

These days I stay up at camp near Altmar and if I want to go out for a beer or dinner the Altmar Hotel is good enough for me. The bar in Kaseog is fun too in the wintertime - plenty of sledders to keep the place hopping. No need to worry about over-zealous cops prowling the streets of Pulaski.

Another place that comes to mind is Buster's Bar - now that place was a hoot back in the day. plenty of women used to prowl that place ...but none were keepers... :)

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/25 19:41:33 (permalink)
    kasoag can be a pretty hoppin spot. eis house in mexico can jump too. i find myself going to you guys place for a burger and beer mostly.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/25 19:42:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: draketrutta

Another place that comes to mind is Buster's Bar - now that place was a hoot back in the day. plenty of women used to prowl that place ...but none were keepers... :)

no keepers only breeders looking for fresh spawn
    However I did sit in and Jam with a band there once.. Keep on Rockin I'n The Free World..

also the best bar around I miss is The Brokedown Palace.. that was where it was at (IMO) Kind folks

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/25 19:55:55 (permalink)
    what instrument do you play tuna? busters was definitely a trip. in it's final days it seemed like there were more losers looking to brawl than anything... although wait, that's most bars anywhere. i like dive bars, but i like the ones that don't have as many fights... i hate these trendy dive bars you start to see now
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/25 20:33:38 (permalink)
    me hanging with Michael Falzarano of then Hot Tuna, now New Riders of the Purple Sage

dimebrite
    Pro Angler
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/25 21:08:18 (permalink)
    were you in hot tuna??
    draketrutta
    Pro Angler
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/25 21:49:44 (permalink)
    I like the dive bars too.

The Sports Zone in Pulaski is a nice hangout and the drinks are very reasonably priced... I had a few good times in that joint.
    But these days I won't take a chance to have a couple drinks and drive anywhere near Pulaski - especially after dark during the fishing seasons.  

The last few places that opened in Pulaski area were charging NYC/NJ prices for a drink. It's no wonder they didn't last long. 
    mrkeith
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/25 22:29:57 (permalink)
    I miss the C&M the most. Always looked forward to breakfast at the end of the exit ramp when we arrived in Poolaski. Also Memories had good food. I don't miss the bars as we still have the extra large coolers for the beer.
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/26 06:11:25 (permalink)
    It was Valley's loooooooong b4 Busters.

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    RichW
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 66
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/26 20:09:33 (permalink)
    Tuna are you jammin a rendition of "Panama Red" was all she said in the photo?

Busters or Winkies was something to see. I always drank out of the bottle. Did not trust the glasses as being clean. Would love when the locals would take over the bar by bringing in their own coolers of 'Old Milwaukee" once the band started playing. That and the smell of rancid chicken wing oil gave it some atmosphere?

I agree about the police of Pulaski. Had to bail out our designatd driver from Oswego County jail for DUI. That was one good thing about Busters, you could walk back to Whitakers.
    Kokanee Killer
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1015
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/26 22:10:28 (permalink)
    rancid chicken wing oil lmao

I have become comfortably numb
    jon_e_si
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1103
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/27 00:01:05 (permalink)
    SAM'S LAKESIDE @ BREWERTON
    retired guy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3107
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/27 11:46:14 (permalink)

Since the big runs of years ago some fisherman serving businesses seem to be as spotty as the Skamania. Who would ever have thought about going out in the morning without stopping at C&M first.
     Some have lasted and others seem to come and go. Its not just a sign of the fiscal times as it has been going on for a few years now since the real big numbers of Salmon and fishermen during the horrid old snagging days.

There was a time when there were cleaning stations everywhere with lines of guys waiting their turn. Fortunately catch, photo and release are the norm now. Quality Quality
    cbeagler
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1811
    RE: What Pulaski Business Do You Miss the Most? 2010/08/31 17:23:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cohookhead

For me it's the C&M Diner. Good dinners before we headed back home. Plus it was fun to hear all the fishin' stories from the nearby tables.

+1
    Jump to: