Winding Crests

Author
steely34
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1280
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/14 07:36:59 (permalink)

Winding Crests

So yesterday, while at work, I let my mind wander away from the normal "stuff" and drifted my thoughts off to the bench. Needed to get away a bit from tying what I've been tying for others. And somehow it came to this. I don't know if it'll hook 'em but it'll be worth a try - for me at least. Anyway - it took some trial and error till I finally came up with a way to make it workable. 
 Winding golden pheasant crests.......

1. This material isn't too bad as far as cost unless you get the higher grade which you don't need for this. I found out that you need to soak the crest's first in lukewarm water and dish detergent to soften them up (especially the stems) and also to clean the oil off of them. So pluck a few off and let them soak for about 15 minutes in a small bowl. After soaking them begin "folding" the individual barbules down and away from the stem of the crest. It helps to hold the very tip in a pair of hackle pliers with one finger and the bottom of the stem with the other. Then with the other hand - pinch the barbules and pull down and away - folding the barbs as you would any other feather for winding.

Crest after soaking
:

Folding the barbules away:

2. Tie your fly up to the point where ya want to tie in the crest. ( Here I'm using white GSP thread for the floss -  it flattens out better. Then to finish the head - I like to switch to black. To each his own though.)

3. Tie in the prepared crest but do not trim off the excess yet. (I did and it seemed to pull out everytime I started winding the crest. The detergent makes it a tad slippery.)

4. Begin winding the crest and with each turn - fold the barbs rearward with your opposite hand like ya would with marabou. Use just enough pressure to make a snug turn. Tie off. If you want - top with whatever else suits ya. Here I used Peacock Body. Whip finish the GSP and switch thread to black. Finish the head.

Used on a zonker strip:

post edited by steely34 - 2010/08/14 07:37:50

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

3 Replies Related Threads

BASS MUNCH
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 52
    RE: Winding Crests 2010/08/14 09:49:43 (permalink)
    Nice tie Steely. It looks quite fishy to me. Thanks for sharing!!

~Bass
    Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Winding Crests 2010/08/14 11:12:08 (permalink)
    Definately tying out of the box, might have to give it a try
    SonofZ3
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 657
    RE: Winding Crests 2010/08/14 15:35:54 (permalink)
    Steely: ever try palmering a Golden Pheasent tippet? I've seen it in a recipe for a fly called a "tippet bug", but when I've tried the feather stem has been a bit too thick. Maybe split the feather with a razor knife and soak it? If you give tippets palmered a try let me know how it works out for you!
    Jump to: