buying minnows in Meadville

Author
psu_fish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3104
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/13 09:03:23 (permalink)

buying minnows in Meadville

Just looking to see where to get minnys at around meadville. last time i bought from the guy off 322 near the kwik-fill, he was $3.00 for pretty small sized fatheads...which I thought $3 was really high when a local place in Shippenville is $1.5

Thanks

7 Replies Related Threads

just keep a few
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: buying minnows in Meadville 2010/08/13 12:35:16 (permalink)
    The guy off 322 near the Kwik fill is Johns Bait.
    I bought minnows off him one time and the woman working there (I think is the owners wife) counted out 12 minnows for my dozen. I informed her that most bait stores use a scooper to dip out by the dozen but she insisted on counting out..I think I got 14! I got desperate one other time and went there to avoid driving to pymy for bait and when she put them in my bucket over half were dead so I just dumped them back in the tank and left with no minnows. Needless to say I will never go back.
    jah1317
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 165
    RE: buying minnows in Meadville 2010/08/13 13:22:44 (permalink)
    There is a place that sells minnows near there out of thier house I believe...... just sprung up it is on willow street (couple blocks over from johns) between arbys and the barber shop (park ave is arbys and south main is the barber shop. Don't know what thier prices are or anything, passed it on the way to get maggots last night (they count those too at johns) to hit the gills with kids and nephew.

Good luck,

Jacob
    58 FASTWIN
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 62
    RE: buying minnows in Meadville 2010/08/16 06:47:00 (permalink)
    The place on Willow is ran by the guy at Johns bait. John's bait is expensive, but where else locally in Meadville are you going to buy them ? If you can, take the drive to Timberlands....A little out of the way, but great people. I do like the fact that John's is open all year....easy to get bait to ice fish in Meadville. He did make me a great deal on an auger last year when I hit a rock with mine. I think he charged me $50 rather than $70. I don't agree with counting minnows (which they do), but what are you going to do when the fish are biting and you run out of bait ?

"Boy, you should have been there yesterday..."
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: buying minnows in Meadville 2010/08/16 20:33:06 (permalink)
    i was in a bait store a few years back and a guy was complaining to the old gentleman running the shop about him counting the minnows , he said "the reason u want me not to count them is either so you can **** that i didn't give u the right amount or so u can try to get something for nothing "
    just keep a few
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 50
    RE: buying minnows in Meadville 2010/08/16 21:17:33 (permalink)
    I guess I would understand counting out minnows if they were bought by the bait shop by numbers, but they aren't. They are sold and purchased by weight. X number of dollars by the pound. I have been fishing for over 40 years and never saw any other bait shop count out fatheads (small minnows) to sell by the dozen. I'ts his store and he can sell them however he wants, but I think he would see an increase in business if he sold them like the other bait shops. He might find his business would increase to the point where he wouldn't have the time to count out 12 little minnows. And with more customers coming in he would surely sell other tackle as well. Ever see how many fatheads are in a pound?
    gatordundee
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 19
    RE: buying minnows in Meadville 2010/08/16 22:08:07 (permalink)
    theres a place in mercer and one off district road ... dunno which way your coming tho
    redneck steel
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 300
    RE: buying minnows in Meadville 2010/08/17 00:34:12 (permalink)
    R&L bait and tackle is the one off district road.  A great little shop.  If you mant muskie lures that place has them!  Got bait off of them many times but havent got minnows off them yet.   And the lady that is there, the owners wife, is always freindly. 
    Jump to: