Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area)

Author
DaGman
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 333
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/09 05:36:55 (permalink)

Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area)

Got an invite to possible go on a friends boat early tomorrow morning, were gonna launch around mon-city area i believe i was told. Fish around mon-city & up above the elizabeth lock, now other than fishing the shoreline below the lock & years ago fishing the mouth of pigeon creek i've really never fished this area much. Can anybody send me a pm as far as tactics, baits, lures to use to target this specific area, or even certain areas within this region to target. Not looking for any spot burning, just need some pointers as i've never fished this area on a boat, hence asking for pm's, thanks guys.

27 Replies Related Threads

eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/09 11:00:04 (permalink)
    Fishing current breaks with a jig and half a worm or leech should be good for wallye, sauger and bass and maybe a channel cat.  Try the backsides of any bridge pilings or barge mooring structures in current or if you mark a good ledge or point on the depthfinder sitcking out into the current, the backside should produce, until it gets too hot.
    Timachro
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1339
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/09 11:13:42 (permalink)
    I fish that area a lot. use a fire tiger colored lure and you should do just fine.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/09 17:30:54 (permalink)
    If you're fishing bass, then you need to find the structure. There isn't a lot of distinct structure or cover that you can see ordinarily. There are some weedbeds, plenty of barge piers, and a few sandbars and outflows. This time of year go early and fish hard until 10 or so. Then give it a rest.

If you're fishing carp/cats/drum then pick a backwater and fish a big nightcrawler on one rod and a shiner on another.

Rick
    DaGman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/09 20:57:53 (permalink)
    Well were "kinda screwed", as nobody got any minnies or shiners (**** i'm majorly bummed about that) and were going around 5-6 AM so the bait shop wont be open, so were just gonna use crawlers, guess i'll be using a split-shot rig & casting along the shoreline & jigging it out, or even try using one on a pencil-bobber near the rip-rap (hopefully were gonna either find a sandbar or creek emptying into the river) or even better a warmwater discharge. I will be breaking out the lures, prob be using mostly jigs (mr twisters & sassy-shads mostly prob) & rattle-traps, bombers, and rapalas. Mite even try some spinners???
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/10 12:59:43 (permalink)
    If you're fishing crawlers, then it doesn't hurt to target the barge tie ups. I assume you're launching in New Eagle. Monessen (top end of the pool) steelworks and the bottom end of Lock 4 should fish well now. That would be my first choice, but it is a little ways to run up if you're in a small boat. Elizabeth power (just above lock 3) would be another I'd hit for sure.

Thanks
    rick
    DaGman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/10 13:57:03 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: casts_by_fly

If you're fishing crawlers, then it doesn't hurt to target the barge tie ups. I assume you're launching in New Eagle. Monessen (top end of the pool) steelworks and the bottom end of Lock 4 should fish well now. That would be my first choice, but it is a little ways to run up if you're in a small boat. Elizabeth power (just above lock 3) would be another I'd hit for sure.

Thanks
    rick

You hit the nail on the head rick, we launched at new eagle & basically fished that pool, got out about 6:30 or so (on the water) and just pulled the lines in to call it a day when the sun finally started breaking through about 10:00. We basically fished an area that my future-brother-in-law's cousin referred to "as the stump" a huge deadfall that was sticking outta the water near the green channel marker. We all caught a few, but nothing big nor worth braggin about. I got 1 small drum & a mooneye, my future bro-in-law got another drum (a tad bigger) and a slightly decent channel, and his cousin nailed 4 0r 5 very nice bluegills & pumpkinseeds (and prob lost 5-6 more). We seen what we think were possibly a school of hybrid striped bass surfacing & chasing minnow out in the middow channel near the channel marker, all in all, not a bad time, definately better than sittin at home. Man, one thing tho, when that sun did finally come out, it got **** hot **** quick!!!
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1049
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/10 14:27:27 (permalink)
    Is there a dock at the New Eagle boat launch?
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/10 16:21:55 (permalink)
    yes there is a dock there i was there 2 saturdays ago and used it!!! watch the launch...kinna rough once in the water

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/11 06:40:49 (permalink)
    Does anyone know of a launch with docks below the Elizabeth locks? 
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/11 08:52:05 (permalink)
    Only one I know of is the launch in Elizabeth without a dock that I can see everyday from the bridge when driving over. 
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/11 11:41:01 (permalink)
    yea thats about the only one....sux there none with docks in that pool

casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/11 15:38:09 (permalink)
    does Boston boat ramp on the Yough have a dock? I thought it used to.

New Eagle ramp has always been tough in lower water. The concrete goes back about 12' from the waterline, so just short enough that a bassboat just drops the tires into the gravel when launching.

Did you fish the marker buoy just down from the ramp? I haven't seen the Mon in a while and the trees move every year.

Thanks
    Rick
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/11 17:41:52 (permalink)
    boston does not have a dock and the launch is steep and tough to retrailer your boat if alone...

casts i either fish up past the bridge or down past the power plant...toss plugs and crainks along the weeds...

DaGman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/23 14:54:59 (permalink)

does Boston boat ramp on the Yough have a dock? I thought it used to.

New Eagle ramp has always been tough in lower water. The concrete goes back about 12' from the waterline, so just short enough that a bassboat just drops the tires into the gravel when launching.

Did you fish the marker buoy just down from the ramp? I haven't seen the Mon in a while and the trees move every year.

Thanks
    Rick

Down by the main channel marker buoy was where we seen "what we think were a school of whitebass" chasing minnows all over the surface.
    DaGman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/23 14:58:01 (permalink)

Thanks
    rick

Thought somebody else replied to me recommending the outflow at the power plant? We may be going "possibly" tommorrow & we mentioned this area as a change.
    DaGman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/23 15:06:09 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bassboatbill

boston does not have a dock and the launch is steep and tough to retrailer your boat if alone...

casts i either fish up past the bridge or down past the power plant...toss plugs and crainks along the weeds...

I noticed quite a bit of weed beds that run all up along the power plant (new eagle launch) area, should of concentrated more on throwing various lures within this vicinity (jigs,rapalas,rattle traps,spinners). Did throw some, but mainly was trying in vain to reach out in the main channel once we saw those hybrids chasing minnows, but could'nt quite reach them & my boat buddies were content fishing near the stump area lazily. I did also make some tosses towards the shallows but i guess you could say it was getting a lil later in the morn, the sun was about to open up with it's heat & by then my casts were not all that crisp as i was just plum a lil wore out. But it's definate food for thought next time, something i will definately consider trying.
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/23 15:23:55 (permalink)
    i seen those fish breaking water and couldnt see em as good as i wanted...i wondered if they were carp...we tossed cranks and rattle traps right into them and got nadda

DaGman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/24 00:06:45 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: bassboatbill

i seen those fish breaking water and couldnt see em as good as i wanted...i wondered if they were carp...we tossed cranks and rattle traps right into them and got nadda

I doubt they were carp bill, the school we seen were chasing minnows hard on the surface, it was like watching something out on the ocean when sharks attack or something, no way carp.
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/24 12:26:19 (permalink)
    gotcha..i didnt see or should i say notice the baitfish..i just would bump the trollin motor a bit and then id see them...seemed the motor had something to do with it but could have just been coinceadental.(not a speller)..lol....who knows...i did,however, about 20 minutes ago while at work look in the river and see big cats feedin on what seemed to be shad...they been doin it all mornin here
    post edited by bassboatbill - 2010/08/24 15:52:45

DaGman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/25 09:17:01 (permalink)
    Sucks, we didn't end up going "this time", but this is a area that we've been planning to target a little b4 the nice weather leaves us, so i imagine we'll be back down that way eventually.
    olgerman
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 159
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/26 08:47:01 (permalink)
    The launch ramp at the New Eagle Sportsmans area SUCKS!! Ever since the Fish Commission took over, there has been NO ramp maintenance. The immediate drop-off when backing in a trailer is a joke. The sportsman's club still maintains the docks in good shape. Seem to remember a commission launch ramp above the Monongahela Bridge. Does anyone still use it??
    DaGman
    Expert Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/27 06:00:25 (permalink)
    Don't know of this launch? but me & my future brother in law & his cousin had no problems using new eagle launch, now granted, we use a smaller boat, but we also put trailer a pinch further in the water & very carefully unhitched with no problems whatsoever.
    tull66
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/28 17:14:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: olgerman

The launch ramp at the New Eagle Sportsmans area SUCKS!! Ever since the Fish Commission took over, there has been NO ramp maintenance. The immediate drop-off when backing in a trailer is a joke. The sportsman's club still maintains the docks in good shape.

You left out the pitiful parking problem. 

Seem to remember a commission launch ramp above the Monongahela Bridge. Does anyone still use it??

Was just there, although I didn't launch a boat.  Was recently "remodeled". New pavement at the launch and parking lot.  Nice dock.  Heading upriver, turn left at the VFW, approximately 1 mile upriver of Monongahela Sheetz. Much nicer than the New Eagle launch.
    olgerman
    Avid Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/31 08:02:54 (permalink)
    "Was just there, although I didn't launch a boat. Was recently "remodeled". New pavement at the launch and parking lot. Nice dock. Heading upriver, turn left at the VFW, approximately 1 mile upriver of Monongahela Sheetz. Much nicer than the New Eagle launch."
    THANKS!! I think I'll give it a try this week.
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/08/31 14:06:06 (permalink)
    i too will be testing this newly remodeled launch soon...probably the week after labor day...thx for the info!

pappy2002
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/09/01 11:36:51 (permalink)
    Not a bad ramp I used it earlier this summer. there is a lot of silt built up there, especially on the up river side of the dock. Also a few monster rocks around the end of the dock, my boat has the scars to prove it.
    olgerman
    Avid Angler
    RE: Mon River-Up above elizabeth lock(mon-city area) 2010/09/01 15:57:35 (permalink)
    Used the ramp today. Indeed, all the previous comments apply. The ramp is silted badly. The large rocks positioned at the end of the dock are indeed a hazard. I would recommend this ramp for smaller craft, but the dock is about worthless. At it's deepest end, it is onlt 2 ft. max. in the water.
    Beyond that, the fishing was SLOW! The water temp was around 80 and there are weeds like I've never seen in 20+ years. Hopefully, the cooler weather will come soon.
    Jump to: