Author
Accountant
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 528
  • Reward points: 0
2010/08/03 17:43:01 (permalink)

Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot

Hi all,

This is my first post here, and let me start by saying that I've been searching the internet for some time now looking for an active forum to discuss fishing in Western PA and it looks like I've finally found it.

I'm starting to fish after a 10 or so year hiatus, and I'm looking for some suggetions. I don't own a boat and don't really have the interest, time, etc. to buy a boat. As a result, I'll be doing most of my fishing from the shore.

With that in mind, I'm looking for some new and convenient places to fish. I live in regent square, and I've done some fishing at Twin Lakes in greensburg and last month made a trip to Glade Run lake. Any other suggestions that might fit what I'm looking for? Where are good places to walk along any of the rivers or any lakes?

Thanks all for the help!

19 Replies Related Threads

Rangerphil
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 45
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/03 19:01:28 (permalink)
    crooked creek lake is good bass fishing dunlap in uniontown also is good bass from the shore hope this helps.
    Lovgren69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 245
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/03 20:27:03 (permalink)
    Some bodies of water in Southwest PA that have good numbers and size for bass : Allegheny R, Lake Arthur, Keystone Power Dam, Yellowcreek Lake, & Crooked Creek.

Almost all the lakes around have some bass in them, but usually you will find an overabundance of small bass in smaller impoundments like you mentioned-Glade Run and Twin Lakes.

I mainly fish from a boat, but you can find shore access on all these lakes. Sometimes just a pair of waders or old shoes in the summer time will allow you to reach alot of these spots.

As for the river, the bass fishing usually is the best in late April/May/Early June. Once July and August roll around and the water temps reach into the 80's, the fishing gets tough. That pretty much goes for all species except Carp and Catfish. Most of the bass I've caught during these months are small. You can catch some nice trophy sized smallmouths in the spring and fall though.

Good luck and keep searching. You'll find that most folks aren't going to give away their honey holes(wouldn't either), but most guys on here are always willing to offer advice on fishing techniques, lures, presentations, etc...
    post edited by Lovgren69 - 2010/08/03 20:28:50
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/04 12:15:21 (permalink)
    Would it be worth my time to try to fish in downtown Pittsburgh? These are plenty of walkable sections, but I'm not sure if there are any bass in that section of any of the rivers.
    Marklu
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/04 12:35:48 (permalink)
    If you are available on Wednesday's from 11:30 to 1:30 you can fish with Ventureoutdoors.org TriAnglers for a daily rate of $5, or $20 for the season ($15 if a member).  Check out their website for additional outdoor activities.  Of course, you will need a fishing license as well, but they provide all the tackle, lures, and live bait (worms and minnies)

at least you can stop by and talk with some of the anglers and they might be able to direct you on the river

Oh, they usually setup in front of PNC park, or across the river from PNC.

I haven't done it for years, but they are a nice group.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/04 12:39:27 (permalink)
    There are bass all over the 3 rivers. This time of year they can be tough, but fishing will pick back up in the fall like mentioned. Go give it a try; what have you got to lose?
    freshwaterdrumR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 603
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/04 13:07:24 (permalink)
    Ive done well fishing the allegheny from PNC park up to heinz from shore. Walk the trail up river from pnc park and fish every spot you can get to. Also try the south side launch/park and fish any accessible areas along there.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/04 13:36:00 (permalink)
    without a boat, concentrate on the smaller waters. Most of the small streams that feed the rivers hold smallmouth and can be a blast on light tackle. Tenmile is one once you get upstream a bit. The Yough is very wadable from West Newton up and holds tons of smallmouth. You can also rent a canoe and drift if you like.

Past that, the smaller lakes will be easier bets for bass. Virgin Run can fish well. Cross Creek is walkable. Cannonsburg can be tough to fish at time, but well worth it others. There are ponds on most of the gamelands.

The 3-rivers in town is easily fished from shore since there is plenty of concrete lining the waterway. It just doesn't impress me as the type of water I like to fish.

Thanks
    Rick
    Marklu
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/04 13:53:35 (permalink)

given your moniker, I'd tend to agree
    Smallie Wader
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 150
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/04 14:17:28 (permalink)
    The Yough as mentioned is very easily fished, just wade in and cast.  Yough Outfitters out of West Newton is tough to beat.  A Kayak and shuttle service for a 4 mile, 7 mile or 11 mile float trip is only $24.00.  I usually do that 2 or 3 times a season for something different and it's cheap.

http://www.youghcanoe.com/
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/04 14:57:52 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: casts_by_fly

The 3-rivers in town is easily fished from shore since there is plenty of concrete lining the waterway. It just doesn't impress me as the type of water I like to fish.

Thanks
    Rick

You know, that's the impressions I get when I walk around PNC park and such. It just does not really LOOK like there would be bass around there. Of course, I can't see underwater and I have never spent time in the water around there, so I could be very wrong for all I know.

I forgot that the DCNR has a pretty comprehensive listing of government operated lakes.

When I was yonger we fished the yough in confluence and had a fun time with the small mouth.
    bassboatbill
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1194
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/04 15:17:24 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Accountant

ORIGINAL: casts_by_fly

Thanks
    Rick

You know, that's the impressions I get when I walk around PNC park and such. It just does not really LOOK like there would be bass around there. Of course, I can't see underwater and I have never spent time in the water around there, so I could be very wrong for all I know.

I forgot that the DCNR has a pretty comprehensive listing of government operated lakes.

When I was yonger we fished the yough in confluence and had a fun time with the small mouth.

yes...just remember the hydroplant put in there about 12-15 years ago changed that water drastically and to fish for smallmouth there would be hard...trout..great...but if you canoe or even take your gear on a mountain bike and hit the deep slow pools on the trail going tword ohio pyle could produce but i must say Smallie Wader
    said it best...thats hard to beat and some nice smallies on the trips!!

Reputation is made in a moment.......Character is built in a lifetime

Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9693
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/05 08:48:39 (permalink)
    This time of year, Yough all of the way!  Float trip is definitely the most fun IMO, but if limited on time and funds, wading can be just as productive.  Anywhere from Boston (near McKeesport) to Connellsville and likely further south, there is some great accessible smallmouth water.  Just find a legal parking spot, and wade until you find the channel.

FYI - The Westmoreland county parks are not very accepting of folks wading (Cedar Creek Park).  Great section of river, but opposite side of river is the channel (at the park itself).  A mile or so walk up or down stream on the bike path will get you to where the channel crosses to the accessible side.
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/05 11:20:15 (permalink)
    How is the Conemaugh River? There seems to be some accessible spots near blairsville I may try.

Any thoughts on Beaver Run Resivoir?
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/05 11:50:43 (permalink)

Any thoughts on Beaver Run Resivoir?

Closed.  No fishing, private property, I believe.
    Porktown
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 9693
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/05 13:40:11 (permalink)

How is the Conemaugh River?

Check out the search button.  Loook up some threads by Hi Class Hillbilly, not sure his exact spelling.  He lives right by there and would be the guy to talk to.  From his posts, there seems to be some fish.  It was pretty void of life a few years ago, but looks to be making a nice come back.

The Kiski is pretty close to there, and definitely has some fish in it.  Not sure about this time of year, but is about the same size as the Yough, so imagine it fishes similar.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/05 16:46:07 (permalink)
    "Any thoughts on Beaver Run Resivoir?"

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Accountant
    Expert Angler
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/05 17:02:37 (permalink)
    Spoonchucker has officially convinced me that without a doubt, my next trip will be to beaver run resivoir. Thanks for the heads up
    fisherofmen376
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2215
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/09 00:43:34 (permalink)
    there are always a few bass near pnc park and river rescue. This time of year is tough though.

"Come, follow me," Jesus said, "and I will make you fishers of men."
    Matthew 4:19
    Chris Johnson
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 321
    RE: Where to bass fish from the shore/by foot 2010/08/16 09:58:59 (permalink)
    The small pond within Northmoreland Park is my 'go to' place for new baits/lures, ... or maybe it is just to get away from the wife. Great place to build confidence and work out any issues. It's not big nor does it hold big lm bass but you can catch quite a few ~12"ers. I know of a few other places out east but don't want to spot burn. I live in Penn Hills and normally travel east to fish, so if you ever want to meet up drop me a pm.
    Chris
    Jump to: