Lancast and Chester Countys.

Author
Bugslinger
New Angler
  • Total Posts : 27
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/26 20:02:39 (permalink)

Lancast and Chester Countys.

Im planning a trip to The Erie Tribs in late October if any one can help this lancaster county fly fisherman out i would be grateful.

6 Replies Related Threads

pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Lancast and Chester Countys. 2010/07/27 00:05:09 (permalink)
    What sort of help are you looking for?
    Bugslinger
    New Angler
    RE: Lancast and Chester Countys. 2010/07/27 20:10:20 (permalink)
    I guess what we need is flys that produce for that time of year. What streams usualy hold fish that time of year and probably a thousand other things . I understand time on the water is what counts, but a jump start shure would be apreciated.Its my Son and my first time for SteelHead. Thanks for the reply.
    2Bonthewater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 651
    RE: Lancast and Chester Countys. 2010/07/27 21:49:53 (permalink)
    I have a ton of Steelhead pics on my website...........your kid would love looking at them.........any specific questions just ask.............   www.2Bonthewater.com

if you look through the archives on this forum, you will find plenty of answers...........

late October  should have steel in the stream.........but it will be weather dependant...........no rain and the fish will be packed low in the stream and folks will be fishing elbow to elbow in a bathtub sized pool to catch the fish.......RAIN, and the fish will be everywhere.............anglers will still be elbow to elbow.......but if you get away from the crowds, you will find fish that are willing to bite..........I steer clear of the big pools........look for moving water, riffles........white water--even if it looks like it is 6 inches deep--it might have a steely sitting in the foam..........flies--egg patterns (glo-bugs and sucker spawns), stonefly nymphs, prince nymphs, wooly buggers, caddis larva----most anything will work if you get it in the fishes face.......

I started out trib fishing on Walnut.......fished the chutes area----just kept moving.........up and down, fishing the slots.......after getting tired of the circus, I just started exploring.........print out the maps on FISH ERIE.....I would just park my vehicle and walk until I hit private property.......turn around and fish back to the truck, move to a new spot..........

pretty sure PA has some good info for you too !!!

www.2bonthewater.com
    pafisher
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3000
    RE: Lancast and Chester Countys. 2010/07/28 11:32:56 (permalink)
    2b pretty much covered it but I'll expand on it a bit.
    The nympths to use as stated should be small,size 14 to 18,the clearer the water the smaller you go.
    Egg patterns could go from 10 to 14, again the clearer the water the smaller you go.
    Streamers and wooly buggers size 10 or 12 and black,white,or olive for the buggers.Streamers in various colors but something to mimick the emerald shiner is a must.
    Your time period is good as the fish should be spread thru out the streams,providing there is rain as these streams rise and drop quickly.
    If you can afford it a GOOD guide would be worth every penney as he will cut the learning curve way down.
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Lancast and Chester Countys. 2010/07/28 20:23:41 (permalink)
    Hey Bug - it's good to see a fellow Lancastrian from the Amish country on here. PM sent

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Bugslinger
    New Angler
    RE: Lancast and Chester Countys. 2010/07/29 19:59:42 (permalink)
    Well how do i start i guess with thank you. You've answered 99% of the questions i had and filled in a lot of blanks. I realy cant say enough about the out pouring of information and knowledge you have given me. steely34 i have got your message and ill get back to you, thanks.
    Jump to: