Willhelm Fish Kill?

Author
loaftech
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 269
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/07 23:02:18 (permalink)

Willhelm Fish Kill?

Hey guys, I was blessed with some time off over the 4th of July weekend and got to fish willhelm for the last 4 days.  To say conditions got tough monday and expecially tuesday would be an understatement!!!   I caught a dozen or so good bass the first 2 days Monday I only had 3 bites all day and yesterday I caught 1 fish and had 1 shake loose in 14 hours on the lake.  I saw some sunfish floating on the surface on a few of the shoals, I didnt think much of it just thought maybe one of the blue herrons or bass came up a lil short and they got wounded.   As I was putting my boat on the trailor though that evening ( launch 1)  I noticed about 20 or 30 dead bluegills and crappie washed up along the bank some where still in the water flopping around.      I did talk to a few guys who were out on the lake that day and I asked both of them what the water temp was, one gentleman told me 87 degrees and the other told me 86.   I have never seen sunfish die from the heat could this be possible?

6 Replies Related Threads

outasync
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 730
    RE: Willhelm Fish Kill? 2010/07/07 23:55:57 (permalink)
    wow i was up last weekend and seen a catfish floating but that was it... hope it was just the heat
    Pork
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1419
    RE: Willhelm Fish Kill? 2010/07/08 08:25:15 (permalink)
    I hate to speculate...but I will..

I've noticed more dead fish than normal in all area lakes this year.
    Didn't start a thread on it because people tend to overreact & start pointing fingers...
    In my opinion, it has a lot to do with the fast warm up we saw & now the continued heat wave we've been having.

Wilhelm in particular I've noticed it most in the largest shallow bays, especially those thickest with weeds... weather or not it has to do with rapidly rising water temps, I don't know. The numbers I've seen dead so far aren't anything to worry about, as far as the overall lake population is concerned, provided it doesn't spread / continue.

Hopefully this cold front will help the situation.

Anyone with more incite, please jump in...
    'cause I don't know what I'm talking about.

"If you ever get hit with a bucket of fish, be sure to close your eyes." ><)))*>
    Ymesss
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 121
    RE: Willhelm Fish Kill? 2010/07/08 08:33:54 (permalink)
    Was on wilhelm last night. no dead fish, but it sure was a dead fishing night
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4012
    RE: Willhelm Fish Kill? 2010/07/08 08:41:43 (permalink)
    Warm, stagnate water holds way less dissolved O2 so Pork, you are probably right. 

Never made it out to Wilhelm over the weekend but my brother and GF did and so did a couple neighbors at camp and they were all trolling and all got skunked on several occassions over the weekend.  Only had a few small panfish to show for their burned up gas.  I think it is too hot for that right now.  Night fishing is probably the best way to catch them. 
    chugbug
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Willhelm Fish Kill? 2010/07/08 08:53:32 (permalink)
    Bass fished Wilhelm on Monday from daybreak to 1 PM. Tough conditions to say the least. Landed two. Missed two. Saw no dead fish. Had our club meeting up there Tuesday night from 5:30 till dark. Figured them out a little and ended up landing 9 or 10 and let another 3 off at the boat. Had to drop shot a finesse worm and fish it painstakingly slow. Saw no dead fish that night either. Water temp at the bottom of my trolling motor Tuesday night made it up to 90. First time I've ever seen that. I for one am ready for a break from this heat.
    post edited by chugbug - 2010/07/08 08:56:54
    pawatergremlin
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Willhelm Fish Kill? 2010/07/08 09:56:36 (permalink)
    im pretty sure eyesandgillz is on the right track, from what ive read. hot water hold little o2, plus with the gizzard shad explosion thats that many more gills to feed so to speak. on top of that gizzards feed on the larger zooplankton which leaves more room for phytoplankton, which further reduces the amount of 02, if i remember correctly. a good windy or rainy day should set all right however, probably nothing to worry about.
    Jump to: