Revo SX

Author
Outdoor Adventures
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1849
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/07 02:13:20 (permalink)

Revo SX

I just purchaced a new Revo SX baitcaster reel and mounted it on a St Croix Mojo 7' MH. Over the weekend I seemed to have trouble with backlash. I loaded with 30 lb Power Pro braid. Not sure if it is me or is this reel not fond of braided line. Spool tension is nice with micro click fine adjustment but the brake has no number settings just a min and max with no index markings. This makes it hard to remember what setting you were at. Not sure if I like this reel or not. Anyone have any input on it???

4 Replies Related Threads

anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Revo SX 2010/07/07 11:34:59 (permalink)
    On the left side of the reel is the min, max setting you are talking about. That brake will control the high speed end of the spool spin, like mid cast for example. On the right side there is a small knob, that does the slower speed. You can not have one maxed out and other left untouched and expect it to cast correctly. They both need to be set. How i set my slow speed is put the bait on the line, press free spool the lure should drop, tighten it till it does not (give the spool a push with your thumb to try to make it fall, line will hang up somtimes messing it up what your lookin for)with the line not being able to fall keep the free spool open and loosen the knob till the bait does fall, then i snug it in a tad. (this may need to be adjusted again when your fine tuning, your ball parked here)

Well try putting the mag. brakes to max. Cast around with it. Then back them off alittle, cast somemore. Go till you fine the sweet spot for YOU. I have found with all my casting reels a setting for myself will not work well with another person. I like a loose spool and rely mostly on myself to do the thumbing, whiles others like a tight spool that has not input for them selfs.

I almost never,have to adjust my reels once i have them set to my likeing. Some may disagree, but i have found a setting i like. And i work around that, say if you throw a spinner bait 90% of the time set it up for that and then you adjust yourself when not using a spinnerbait.

A casting reel will become secound nature and once you become intune with whats happening your unstopable.

BTW you got a great reel on your hands, dont let it frustrate you. Take the time, figure it out. It will give you many many years of great service.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Revo SX 2010/07/07 12:19:10 (permalink)
    Thanks for the input. That is pretty much the way I set my baitcasters also, except I start with the middle setting on the brake. It seems to cast better when the line leveling eye is in the center of the spool. Could this be due to the type of line I have loaded? Never had Power Pro 30# braided on a baitcaster before. I use 80# Suffix Performance Braid om my Revo Toro for musky and love it ,no problems. Wonder if differnt line would be better?
    AK22
    Novice Angler
    • Total Posts : 89
    RE: Revo SX 2010/07/07 12:44:21 (permalink)
    Keep in mind that 30lb pwr pro is equivalent to around 8 lb line i think. So it is a thinner diameter line is harder to cast than a thicker line. Braid for me is a little trickier to cast but not bad. 
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 720
    RE: Revo SX 2010/07/07 13:08:54 (permalink)
    On my revo stx i have used 10 mono, and it was perfect for casting. But i now have it set up for 65lb braid, i did not really change the setting at all. I think what you are experencing is mental with the placment of the level wind eye. I have never felt or seen any real difference with casting. I know that maybe on paper there might be somthing, but real life i have seen little effect.
    Jump to: