Fishing in Tidioute

Author
DanesDad
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 3087
  • Reward points: 0
2010/07/07 01:04:18 (permalink)

Fishing in Tidioute

Can you hope to catch fish in the river there? My son wanted to fish the last time we were up that way, so we spent an hour near the boat launch below where the creek comes in (by the old folks home). We didn't catch anything. Was I wasting my time there? Is it any good below the bridge?

14 Replies Related Threads

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1849
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/07 11:53:43 (permalink)
    Fishing at Tidioute can be productive. I have had luck there. Try under the bridge.If fishing from shore I would go down river to West Hickory. Always seems to guys fishing there. I have seen them catch em under the bridge as well. Another good section is were Little Hickory runs into the river (N 41 33.589 W 079 25.050) below the WH bridge. Wading with minnows seems to be good. To be honest just about anywhere on the river is good.Some days are just better than others as conditions change. What fish are you targeting?
    post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2010/07/07 11:59:36
    moooooo4me
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 339
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/08 11:04:45 (permalink)
    smallies and walleye if theier there will take white 1/8 ounce jig head and a big minow/shiner bring me most of my luck , im not sure what bridge it is but try bouncing ur bait right off the cement pillar holding it up and let it sink youll be surprised whats lurking in the slack water behind it , just be ready and hold on good luck
    doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/08 11:22:14 (permalink)
    Tidioute is home to the Pennsylvania State Championship Fishing Tournament, held annually the last full weekend in September. Mid April is the start of the ...

i would hope you can catch fish in the river there being it's where the state fishing tourny is.

..just saying

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/08 11:25:15 (permalink)
    Never fished there until the tournament last year. My wife won her division. She landed 4 bass. { her division was the oldest female registered to enter a legal fish!!!!]..WF
    Jester
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 34
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/14 15:19:02 (permalink)
    Nice 'spot burn' on the Little Hickory Eddy there Outdoor with the GPS coordinates.  Good thing that most guys who use a GPS to locate a spot do more fishing than catching.  Yeesh, at least make them earn it by learning to read the water. 

As a general rule, on the Upper Allegheny (to me that means above Franklin) between Memorial Day and Labor Day faster runs with deep water nearby are the ticket for 'Eyes, Bass, and the occasional Trout if you're at the mouth of a mountain fed stream that is likely 10+ degrees cooler than the river.  Musky and Northerns will hold in slower water with some of the lunker Bass who don't want to work in the current.  There ARE good spots available to those w/o a Jet Boat, just have to put in some time driving Rt 62 looking for them.  If you have a Jet, just get out on the water and fish.  You'll quickly learn where they are and aren't. 
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/15 01:07:21 (permalink)
    Obviously the guy had no clue.
    ORIGINAL: Jester

Nice 'spot burn' on the Little Hickory Eddy there Outdoor with the GPS coordinates.  Good thing that most guys who use a GPS to locate a spot do more fishing than catching.  Yeesh, at least make them earn it by learning to read the water. 

As a general rule, on the Upper Allegheny (to me that means above Franklin) between Memorial Day and Labor Day faster runs with deep water nearby are the ticket for 'Eyes, Bass, and the occasional Trout if you're at the mouth of a mountain fed stream that is likely 10+ degrees cooler than the river.  Musky and Northerns will hold in slower water with some of the lunker Bass who don't want to work in the current.  There ARE good spots available to those w/o a Jet Boat, just have to put in some time driving Rt 62 looking for them.  If you have a Jet, just get out on the water and fish.  You'll quickly learn where they are and aren't. 

post edited by Outdoor Adventures - 2010/07/17 01:44:19
    DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/15 02:30:32 (permalink)

Seriously, buddy, I just wanted an idea of where I might take my 5 year old son to catch a few fish, doesn't even matter what kind. It's not like I'm gonna get in my truck right now and get 100 friends to overrun that area. It's nice to know a place to try if we're up that way again (which happens a couple of times a year). It's not like he told me where the holy grail is or anything. People are so oversensitive to "spot burning" on this site. I bet if some of the guys on here were in charge of the Manhattan project, the Russians till wouldn't have the bomb.
    Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/15 02:59:06 (permalink)
    Well said, DD you PM me and I will tell you all the good spots, best time to fish them, best baits, show you the best places to access, and then invite you to my place for a cold beer. Isn't that what outdoor forums are for, to share information with those who have a passion for the outdoors? Last time I checked the Allegheny river was still open for public fishing !
    ORIGINAL: DanesDad

Seriously, buddy, I just wanted an idea of where I might take my 5 year old son to catch a few fish, doesn't even matter what kind. It's not like I'm gonna get in my truck right now and get 100 friends to overrun that area. It's nice to know a place to try if we're up that way again (which happens a couple of times a year). It's not like he told me where the holy grail is or anything. People are so oversensitive to "spot burning" on this site. I bet if some of the guys on here were in charge of the Manhattan project, the Russians till wouldn't have the bomb.

DanesDad
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/16 15:00:23 (permalink)
    I'll hit ya if we're coming up that way.
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/21 09:10:24 (permalink)
    Sorry your getting bombed. Seems like the internet is the only place people speak up anymore. Jester makes a good point about spot burning. It does hurt when hours and cash go to finding a spot then the spot is advertised and it is too crowded to fish. This is the internet age so get used to crowded spots sometimes (Fish it at less popular times).
    Not to be a jerk but the upper Allegheny is above the resevoir. The middle is from Kinzua to lock 9. From lock 9 to the point is the lower.
    ready2fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 787
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/21 10:59:50 (permalink)
    Maybe YOU call the Allegheny above Kinzua upper, but according to the Army Corps and us who live close, Tidioute, Tionesta, Oil City, Franklin, is all the upper Allegheny.

Danes, you may also hit me up anytime for river info. I'd even be glad to meet up and show you a few places. Better yet, I'll bring the jet and we'll spot burn in person!

Kistler Custom Rods Pro Staff
    GAMMA Fishing Lines Pro Staff
    bubblegumworm
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 142
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/21 18:41:36 (permalink)
    It is just clearly defined regions of the river. PFBC map for middle is Kinzua down to lock 9. Spent 20 + yrs in that region though I don't live there. Wish I could and am working toward that goal. I just call a duck a duck.

As far as spot burning goes one of the best pieces of advice I've ever recieved was give all the advice you can except your spot. Jester also offered practicle advice as far as how to fish and no one thanked him.
    post edited by bubblegumworm - 2010/07/21 18:50:57
    jolie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 348
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/22 10:30:27 (permalink)
    well lets see.. isn't spot burning officially ... 

"Mentioning specific fishing locations on private property which may cause increases in angler traffic (a/k/a "spot burning") is prohibited."

well technically, the alleghany river is a "navigable river" and thus is, I believe, considered public property.  Moreover the bridge itself has  rightage way.  that again would make some of it, including the shore embankments "public property".

so I think by the technicalities this isn't a matter of spot burning.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    of course bubblegumworm does have a point!  by definition a gps number almost couldn 't be spot burning (unless its of your favorite privately owned pond).  nevertheless, there's plenty of ppl that would have a real problem with mentioning their favorite secret spot on pymy lake.  also its been my experience, that place is almost dead last on the list of important things to get right if you want to catch fish in the allegheny river. Much more important is technique, river conditions and time/season. 

but I think that we need to generally consider the allegheny river, its a BIG place.  danes just wanted a spot with a better than normal chance at action (he wasn't asking for walleye hotspots).  This isn't erie folks.  fact is that up here almost all the overpressured places ARE on public land.  and are usually heavily marketed by the tourist guys (can you way "the pier" of the alleghany dam tailwaters). 

Truth be told, prolly mentioning something like the tidioute bridge HELPS getting the guys spread out a little up here on the allegheny.  If your not into wading , don't have a jet boat, or have the time/people to pull off a float trip  theres not really zillions of good places for a shore angler up here.  ESPACIALLY in the summer heat. 

and somepeople also have unreasonable expectations.  Why do you expect, that a major waterway, (one that is stocked to the hilt, with the state's three favorite fish) wouldn't have anglers during the height of the summer tourist season?  Anyone around here knows that all the campgrounds fills up in the middle of the summer.  In fact there's plenty of towns round these parts that just about double in size, when the tourists all come from ohio and the burgh.  most of these guys aren't sophisticated anglers, whats wrong with steering them to a spot with a little rock bass action.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know (cuz I haven't asked) but my guess is that even at the tailwaters (where there really is quite a lot of pressure) few of them have read much of what has been said on recent posts here at fisherie.com.  and what they might remember?  heck,  we've had the same question on threads posted with just a couple weeks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway, sorry for the long rant.  don't it all in the spirit of " a debate" cuz its clear to me, nobody has broken any spot burning policy on this thread.

I've thought at times long about what I should and shouldn't say here, espacially when I ran into a real walleye expert and started learning some of his secrets.  though I try to be respectful to him.  but I think genuinely that it is really hard to give people on the board enough information that they can go, into some of the waters I fish and do better because of the info I have given.

I personally think, it is all but impossible to give enough information, to actually ruin the fishing.  There's just not enough people and no offense so many of the ppl I see are clueless.  the come with 20# test, heavy sinkers, and dredge there nightcrawlers into the rocks, all in the summer when big predators up here, have a wide buffet of stocked trout, rock bass, minnows, and other oddballs buffets, like heavy hatches of big bugs. 

Until my friend started talking, I fished for over 15 years off and on, and seriously caught only 5 walleyes!  and all but one, was below the 15" limit.  the exception was a boat fishing trip my uncle gave me when I was 9 (we lucked out).  So I know what its like to fish and fish and fish with not much to show for it.   experience doesn't always help.  and the same poor technique done day after day, will yield the same poor results... so there really is a reason to say something.  would you like to fish like 15years strait for something without success?  have a heart, if you can catch them.  a few hints, isn't likely to mean any change at all to you.  but maybe, just maybe it can be the one big insight that makes a difference for them...

Outdoor Adventures
    Pro Angler
    RE: Fishing in Tidioute 2010/07/22 15:34:06 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jolie

well lets see.. isn't spot burning officially ... 

"Mentioning specific fishing locations on private property which may cause increases in angler traffic (a/k/a "spot burning") is prohibited."

well technically, the alleghany river is a "navigable river" and thus is, I believe, considered public property.  Moreover the bridge itself has  rightage way.  that again would make some of it, including the shore embankments "public property".

so I think by the technicalities this isn't a matter of spot burning.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    of course bubblegumworm does have a point!  by definition a gps number almost couldn 't be spot burning (unless its of your favorite privately owned pond).  nevertheless, there's plenty of ppl that would have a real problem with mentioning their favorite secret spot on pymy lake.  also its been my experience, that place is almost dead last on the list of important things to get right if you want to catch fish in the allegheny river. Much more important is technique, river conditions and time/season. 

but I think that we need to generally consider the allegheny river, its a BIG place.  danes just wanted a spot with a better than normal chance at action (he wasn't asking for walleye hotspots).  This isn't erie folks.  fact is that up here almost all the overpressured places ARE on public land.  and are usually heavily marketed by the tourist guys (can you way "the pier" of the alleghany dam tailwaters). 

Truth be told, prolly mentioning something like the tidioute bridge HELPS getting the guys spread out a little up here on the allegheny.  If your not into wading , don't have a jet boat, or have the time/people to pull off a float trip  theres not really zillions of good places for a shore angler up here.  ESPACIALLY in the summer heat. 

and somepeople also have unreasonable expectations.  Why do you expect, that a major waterway, (one that is stocked to the hilt, with the state's three favorite fish) wouldn't have anglers during the height of the summer tourist season?  Anyone around here knows that all the campgrounds fills up in the middle of the summer.  In fact there's plenty of towns round these parts that just about double in size, when the tourists all come from ohio and the burgh.  most of these guys aren't sophisticated anglers, whats wrong with steering them to a spot with a little rock bass action.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know (cuz I haven't asked) but my guess is that even at the tailwaters (where there really is quite a lot of pressure) few of them have read much of what has been said on recent posts here at fisherie.com.  and what they might remember?  heck,  we've had the same question on threads posted with just a couple weeks.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

anyway, sorry for the long rant.  don't it all in the spirit of " a debate" cuz its clear to me, nobody has broken any spot burning policy on this thread.

I've thought at times long about what I should and shouldn't say here, espacially when I ran into a real walleye expert and started learning some of his secrets.  though I try to be respectful to him.  but I think genuinely that it is really hard to give people on the board enough information that they can go, into some of the waters I fish and do better because of the info I have given.

I personally think, it is all but impossible to give enough information, to actually ruin the fishing.  There's just not enough people and no offense so many of the ppl I see are clueless.  the come with 20# test, heavy sinkers, and dredge there nightcrawlers into the rocks, all in the summer when big predators up here, have a wide buffet of stocked trout, rock bass, minnows, and other oddballs buffets, like heavy hatches of big bugs. 

Until my friend started talking, I fished for over 15 years off and on, and seriously caught only 5 walleyes!  and all but one, was below the 15" limit.  the exception was a boat fishing trip my uncle gave me when I was 9 (we lucked out).  So I know what its like to fish and fish and fish with not much to show for it.   experience doesn't always help.  and the same poor technique done day after day, will yield the same poor results... so there really is a reason to say something.  would you like to fish like 15years strait for something without success?  have a heart, if you can catch them.  a few hints, isn't likely to mean any change at all to you.  but maybe, just maybe it can be the one big insight that makes a difference for them...

Well said jolie, I have and will continue to help out a fellow angler if I can. Simply by giving advice is no crime. I am by far no expert but if a can help a young boy catch fish I will go out of my way to do so.
    Jump to: