Kiski

Author
norm289
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 932
  • Reward points: 0
2010/06/20 17:34:36 (permalink)

Kiski

Anybody been fishing the Kiski River? Or see the article on it in the Mid Atlantic Fly Fishing magazine(free mag at most flyshops)? Circumstances beyond my control have prevented me from getting out. Just curious if anyone is doing well.

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach

8 Replies Related Threads

GilliganJR
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 298
    RE: Kiski 2010/06/21 13:34:59 (permalink)
    It should fish well this weekend
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Kiski 2010/06/21 21:12:50 (permalink)
    the conemaugh dam outflow has been way too high to fish the last couple months. I imagine that the flow rates are down now and everything is fishable from there down. I haven't checked the guages in a couple weeks, so I dont know for sure.

I did catch a walleye, sauger, and a couple smallies while trolling in my canoe around the outflow area in early may.

no catfish action at all though.

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    River_Drifter
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 151
    RE: Kiski 2010/06/22 08:52:09 (permalink)
    Floated from apollo to leechburg on Sunday.... Water was just a tad off color but the AM started great .... Got 3 NICE smallies just below roaring run then it tapered off..... Managed about 6 or 7 for the day nothing but smallies though and all on soft plastics... Unable to get anything to take a fly . . . did see quite a few trout rising below some overhanging trees but not too good at controlling the new kayak yet and I dont have an anchor so I was unable to stay in position and too stupid to beach it and wade a bit . . . .

Norm . . . I'd love to hook up and fish crooked creek. yellow creek or the Kiski if you'd like . . . .
    norm289
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 932
    RE: Kiski 2010/06/22 21:40:32 (permalink)
    Riverdrifter, I'm game. My fishing is really limited right now. Am planning on getting out somewhere this weekend. Probably be on the kiski since it's right down the road. Let me know. Maybe we can set something up.

"If I'm not going to catch anything, then I'd rather not catch anything on flies." Bob Lawless

"Something to think about: If you fish the wrong fly long and hard enough, it will sooner or later become the right fly." John Gierach
    toad01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Kiski 2010/06/27 21:28:00 (permalink)
    fished it the last couple of week ends got some bass haven't done as good as past yrs yet
    hey but to my surprise caught 12 in rainbow on a white gohst xrap fished that river for a couple yrs now and thats a first

SIZE MATTERS
    toad01
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 313
    RE: Kiski 2010/07/12 18:26:32 (permalink)
    got another first out of the kiski yellow perch as i watched my buddy fighting a nice cat i let my jig just hang near the bottom an bam fish on,8inch perch o ya the cat was over 20inches also a nice surprise on a plug

SIZE MATTERS
    hiclassHilbilly
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1052
    RE: Kiski 2010/07/12 20:28:15 (permalink)
    I fished a bit today and I very much had a non-first. I caught nothing and lost 3 lures that got snagged in rocks. haha

"A Homewood man led police on an hourlong car chase that ended with a crash injuring three officers.

"The car was driving itself," Wright said. "The car has a GPS. It's a Lincoln Navigator. They drive themselves. I wasn't running nowhere."
    ddubs3
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Kiski 2010/07/13 15:52:33 (permalink)
    I've fished right below the dam twice in the past month or so. Caught my first largemouth below the dam (15") and also my first pike below the dam. The pike was about 20" and really skinny. I think he was stressed from the warm water and didn't look like he'd survive long.

I also caught a lot of decent size bluegills.

The water seems to be cloudier than past years.
    Jump to: