LeTort in September

Author
Cold
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 7358
  • Reward points: 0
2010/06/01 11:24:56 (permalink)

LeTort in September

Just found out a few old friends will be making a weekend trip to Carlisle this September for a car show or something (not really up on anything car related). They'll be tenting it in the backyard of someone they know. Looks like I'll be tagging along this year, taking advantage of the opportunity to do some fishing on the famous water while they do their automotive thing (like I said, me calling the Carlisle show "some thing" might be like a non fly fisher calling the letort "some creek").

So, my questions to the folks here are the usual: no specific spots other than common starting points, what kind of rod, fly selections, etc. Anything that might help.

I've been reading a bit about it since I found out I'd be going (this past weekend), and the internets seem to tell me that actually catching a fish will be anything from "a challenge" to flat out impossible. Also, from what I read, I'll do well to put together a "letort box" before the trip, and might as well leave the others at home. In this box would go tricos, isos, tan caddis, scuds & cressbugs in a bunch of sizes, beetles, ants, hoppers, and some small streamers.

My tenative plan is to fish low on the stream, away from the heritage water, where general consensus seems to agree is one's best bet of landing a fish. If I get a hatch, go with dries, definitely try the cressbugs, and fall back on streamers in low-light conditions (early morning, late evening, and if the weather happens to be cloudy and rainy). As far as streamers, I'm thinking a selection of buggers, some slip-wing wets, and several small hairwings.

I don't have my heart set on catching a ton of fish. Even one would make my weekend. But really, I want to go more for the experience. I gather from what I'm reading that this place is not the "back to nature" experience, but much closer to erie trib fishing in terms of people and surroundings.

Any tips/suggestions appreciated!

20 Replies Related Threads

D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6701
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/01 11:58:05 (permalink)
    Suggestion - Don't even bother.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/01 12:32:30 (permalink)
    smart****
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/01 13:01:32 (permalink)
    SLOW DOWN and STEALTH
    sit wait and watch

streamers in the channels
    cress bugs and scuds in front of cress walls
    dries/ terrestrials if you find risers or hold fish

if you want easy fishing... there are other places in the area

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/01 13:13:14 (permalink)
    Thanks ana. The 7'9" 3wt sounds like the way to go, then. Have a 7' glass 4wt, but the 3 is crisper and more accurate/precise.

KJH, thanks. I know it will be difficult fishing, but that's part of why I want a fish from that creek. One wild brown from the letort will be more rewarding than 5 or 10 from another nearby stream...if that makes any sense.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/01 13:16:36 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Cold

smart****

Yea, I wasn't kidding though.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/01 13:47:10 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: D-nymph

ORIGINAL: Cold

smart****

Yea, I wasn't kidding though.

Neither was I.

Though I do appreciate the blunt honesty. And yes, you're completely right in that I'm totally out of my element on that creek if the reports are even half true. But on one hand, I read about experienced fly flingers going to the letort and getting completely flummoxed by those fish, and on the other, I read about people fairly new to fly fishing talking about how they went to the letort and had a slow day but managed two or three fish. I'm more inclined to trust experience, though, and not get my hopes up.

On the surroundings, though...is it indeed like erie in the fall, or are there places I can fish where I wont be disturbing other anglers? If an errant cast of mine puts fish down for an hour, i'd much rather only be ruining my chances. Might be a jerk on this site, but I'm not a total misanthrope.
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/01 14:20:15 (permalink)
    Nobody fishes there except one guy.  He's a moderator on this site.
    fishenfool46
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 1000
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/01 17:06:54 (permalink)
    go cold have a good time catching or trying is still lbetter than sitting home
    and i might even carry a few midges being it sept cold nights maybe?

I didn't say these are the ten suggestions
    signed God
    steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/01 17:07:20 (permalink)
    Don't know if it's me your talkin about D-nymph  but I go there about 2 - 3 times a year and yes - it is an experience. Whether or not it's a good one is all in how ya make it out to be. I was there this past Friday and I'll be the first to admit - I was beat after about 4 hours. Fished off the T.U. parking area - upstream. And call me out for spot burnin but I doubt if it really matters because it is tough fishin and I believe everyone knows it. Fish were there (and some very nice fish at that) but very spooky and tough castin let alone walkin because the grass was high and somewhat flooded. Constantly walkin in grassy muck up to your knees at times. If ya go - stay low and like KJ says - take your time. Used Cress Bugs most of the time as nothing was really risin but I was there in the mornin. I hear evening is best. 3 - 4 weight is my choice - doesn't make it right though. As far as other people - didn't see another soul during my visit. Hooked a beautiful brown and lost it to the 'cress. Why I return there - don't really know other than to say I enjoy the punishment and challenge I guess. And if ya find the bench - it's a great place to pass the time thinkin.  Like KJ says though - there are other streams in the area.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

World Famous
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2213
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/01 17:25:10 (permalink)
    Your "letort box" sounds fine. I would go with a least a 5 weight rod as you will need the backbone to keep the fish out of the watercress. Small is the way to go for flies but sometimes it pays to go against the norm. I caught 3, 15 to 18 inch browns there one day 25 years ago just practicing differant types of casts with a size 8 wulff hairwing. Also, if you encounter muddy water, try a size 2 or 4 Mickey Finn. Don't laugh, you would not believe the big browns I landed years back on them......WF
    D-nymph
    Pro Angler
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/02 09:25:34 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: steely34

Don't know if it's me your talkin about D-nymph

Nope, someone else
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/02 09:59:58 (permalink)
    Been reading some about the scuds, sowbugs, and cressbugs...which all look awfully similar to me. Anyone have favorite cress bug patterns they'd like to share? As of now, I'm thinking #14 curved hook, lead wire flattened, thread base, grey ostrich herl and grizzly hackle body, with some sort of shell (scud back, thin skin, etc).
    KJH807
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4863
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/02 11:08:26 (permalink)
    dubbing loop
    rib
    clear cure goo back
    pick it out

i did a tute for it a while back

i think that was rabbit
    thicker dubbing can be combed out and skip the goo
    post edited by KJH807 - 2010/06/02 11:11:22

Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/02 11:25:41 (permalink)
    Thanks! I dont have clear cure goo, but I have some ideas on how to get a similar look...
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/02 12:55:14 (permalink)
    Look up Shenk's cress bug, it should be a staple in your box for that area. Sizes 14-20 in tan/olive and olive have worked the best for me. Be sure to keep the bottom of the fly trimmed flat and the overall shape to be oval. Any decent dubbing in a loop will work for these, although the actual Ed Shenk dubbing works best if you can find it.

Don't overlook patterns like a muskrat nymph or a Walt's Worm. They make be simple, but they are deadly. The options for the two are endless. You can put a rib, flashback, or any standard shellback on it if you desire. For colors, any combination (or solid) gray, olive, or tan will work well. I like to make my own blends using SLF dubbing, pick them out to be as buggy as possible and trim to shape.

You are on the right track by wanting to use lead tied to the side of the hook, it really helps to create the flat, oval shape desired.

Don't get to caught up on these patterns, keep it simple. My best producer for fishing in that area was always a #16 or #18 Shenks Cress Bug with a #20-24 zebra midge tied on as a trailer.

If you want to target the larger fish, the Shenks Minnow and any other sculpin patterns work well. In my experience you need to fish them VERY slow and right on the bottom. Fishing streamers requires lots of patience there, but you will certainly draw (maybe not catch) some large fish out from the cress beds.
    casts_by_fly
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 671
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/02 15:28:54 (permalink)
    forget all of that. Just bring a 9' 5 wt, some 3x tippet, and some #10 hoppers. You'll probably catch just as many and you won't be fighting the cress, watching miniscule flies, or worrying about the perfect light touch down. Just slap 'em down right next to the bank and hang on.

Thanks,
    Rick
    tippecanoe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1451
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/02 22:58:59 (permalink)
    Go to the car show/swap meet for at least part of a day.  That place host some of the best shows I have ever been to.  I am a big fan of the all truck nationals. 

As far as catching fish, I had my hands full just landing a few on one of those over-fished limestoners during an epic BWO hatch, so no good advice from this dingus.

Have fun, and good luck.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/03 14:28:54 (permalink)
    Wow, thanks Esox! Lots of good info there! Your midge trailers...usually on the rare occasions I use any tandem setups, they're spaced 3-6" apart...is this about the same in this situation?

c_b_f, I don't own a 9' 5wt that I'd want to take along. I've landed a few pretty large fish with my 3wt, and I'm confident that, if I manage to hook up, the 3wt will allow me to bring to hand any fish that I have the skill to fight effectively. Thanks for the suggestion on slapping the hoppers down though, I will definitely give it a try.

tippe, honestly, if I have to go to anything car-related, I'll be bored to tears, and agitated knowing that it's cutting into fishing time. Cars/trucks/motorcycles/etc, to me, are merely a way to get from point A to the nearest fishing hole. Some are pretty, some are ugly, some fast, some slow...but none really interest me that much. I DO intend to have fun tho, even if i do get skunked.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/03 20:02:25 (permalink)
    I usually go more like 10-14".
    PAFLYBOY2
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: LeTort in September 2010/06/04 08:13:35 (permalink)
    Cold, having grown up(sort of) in the Washington DC area I fished the Carlisle area a lot when I was younger. The Letort is definitely worth trying, even if it's only for the "experience." It's a beautiful stream, or at least it was when I last saw it. As much as I enjoyed it I never did catch a fish there. You might consider a longer rod for enhanced line control to aid in that all-too-critical drag free drift. Although the Letort is definitely worth seeing don't overlook some of the other streams in that area. One popular spot that I enjoyed is the Yellow Breeches around Allenberry Resort. I did well there with very small terrestrials and midges. I believe there is a fly shop in Boiling Springs, PA(by the Breeches) that can aid you with further locations in that area. On a side note, how has the fishing been in your area? As soon as I get off this darned keyboard I'm heading up your way for a day of fishing. Good luck with your trip.
    Jump to: