Caldwell Creek

Author
dano
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 2986
  • Reward points: 0
2007/04/03 17:16:20 (permalink)

Caldwell Creek

I spent some time fishing Caldwell's fly fishing section and noticed newly posted No Trespassing signs.
 And yes, it is for real. Heard it was over a land dispute.
The sad thing is that all the hard work that the Caldwell Chapter of TU put in all falls on the now posted water.  

1)  Does anyone know where the posted land begins and ends in reference to the fly water?
2)  Are both sides of the creek posted?
3)  Did the PFBC stock the posted section?

Early black stoneflis were hatching along with black midges.

Gone Fishing

13 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Caldwell Creek 2007/04/03 17:27:13 (permalink)
    According to the stocking report, they stocked from Stoney Hollow run, to the mouth.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bassmastr25
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Caldwell Creek 2007/04/03 17:54:55 (permalink)
        I'm having a hard time understanding why landowners can post "no trespassing" signs along streams and can get away with it.  Technically they don't own the waterway- so as far as I am concerned as long as i'm in the water no one can do anything about it.  I think lakes and ponds are a different matter but a stream that happens to pass through someones property doesn't give them the right to do what they want with it.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Caldwell Creek 2007/04/03 17:58:46 (permalink)
    " Technically they don't own the waterway- so as far as I am concerned as long as i'm in the water no one can do anything about it."

They don't own the water, but they DO own the stream bed. So as far as the LAW is concerned, they CAN do something about it.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    Bassmastr25
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Caldwell Creek 2007/04/03 18:08:01 (permalink)
        So what if you were in a canoe or boat do you have to turn around and go back as soon as it goes into private property.
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Caldwell Creek 2007/04/03 21:55:34 (permalink)
    If it's not a navigable waterway you do.

What's a bummer is if the land was posted AFTER the creek was stocked.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    egg sac
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 517
    RE: Caldwell Creek 2007/04/04 00:38:32 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: Loopy

If it's not a navigable waterway you do.

What's a bummer is if the land was posted AFTER the creek was stocked.

Loopy,

It is my understanding that the fish commsion officers are supposed to talk with the landowners along the streams they stock every year to make sure it is ok.If a landowner says all is good to stock and then posts there property right after that they can and will get charged for all the fish stocked on thier property..

SO MANY FISH SO LITTLE TIME.
    WHY ARE ALL THE PLACES I HAVE YET 2 FISH SO FAR AWAY?
    elephanthead
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1057
    RE: Caldwell Creek 2007/04/04 13:55:33 (permalink)
    yeah Tom, and let's see if they have the time to enforce that. not tryin to be negative but it seems some wrongs never get made right.  Dave
    T.T.
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1656
    RE: Caldwell Creek 2007/04/04 16:57:30 (permalink)
    Loopy
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1437
    RE: Caldwell Creek 2007/04/04 19:21:02 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: elephanthead

yeah Tom, and let's see if they have the time to enforce that. not tryin to be negative but it seems some wrongs never get made right.  Dave

I would think the Fish Commission would take this matter seriously since they took the time and effort to stock these fish.  in fact the area that is in question is a float stocked area.  No easy park at the bridge and dump em'.

<---  The Holy Trinity
    aranbp
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 324
    RE: Caldwell Creek 2007/04/05 15:19:18 (permalink)
    I was up that way over the weekend.  The signs I thought said fishing permitted walk in only.  First time I was there so I do not know if it was always that way of not. That property is leased property.  I hate that even worse.  Some poeple get together and give the land owner money and then they post it for them to hunt. Hope the commissiondoes something.
    AzzUR
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 44
    RE: Caldwell Creek 2007/04/10 12:00:12 (permalink)
    I was up there myself 4/2/2007, there are new posted signs for a hunting lease (A&N hunting club I believe) on the eastern side of Caldwell, but the fishing verbage is blacked out on the signs, so you are still allowed to walk in and fish.  The new posted signs that concerned me were on the western side of the stream, just past the big S bend with the wingdams on it.  These were all new to me, and I just turned around and headed back upstream, didn't want to be trespassing if the access situation had changed there.  I believe it did, as I found there to be a ton of fish in the upper portion of the C&R FFO only, and very few further downstream, which leads me to believe the PA Fish commission only stocked there and not further down.  I hope we didn't loose the lower half of the special regs due to posting, but it looks like that may be the case.

As a side note, lots of black stoneflies about, and some midges at the end of the day. 
    dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2986
    RE: Caldwell Creek 2007/04/10 13:25:43 (permalink)
    AzzUR,
     That's the area I'm talking about. I spoke to Flaggs, a member here, and he said that the landowner is prosecuting tresspassers. This all stemmed over a land dispute between neighbors. I can't remember how far down it's posted.
    I do know that the area has always been posted except to fishermen where he allowed walk-in only.
    I fished that area thinking he just replaced those old faded signs and the old rules were still in effect. . But when I got down further a bit, I noticed many more signs right on the stream bank. I ended up catching a dozen or so hold overs and a couple wild fish and headed out.
    Later on I met Flaggs on Oil Creek and he gave me the scoop. He didn't know if it was stocked and I can't remember what he told me on how far down its posted.  

Gone Fishing
    Catchabigone
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 509
    RE: Caldwell Creek 2007/04/10 19:58:17 (permalink)
    I found this page on the Fish and Boat Commission Web site.

Public Rights in Pennsylvania Waters

http://sites.state.pa.us/PA_Exec/Fish_Boat/water/public/faq_public_waters.htm

Look to the heavens and thank God everyday that hunting is such a grand part of our lives.
    Ted Nugent

Jump to: