Mayfly Confusion

Author
jimhalupka
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 1058
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/21 00:05:56 (permalink)

Mayfly Confusion

Finally pulled myself away from the ATW's, and over to what I like to call the gem and was graced by some nice adults rising in a few stretches.  There was an abundance of flies, almost a buffet, and it made for some difficult fishing.

March Browns were popping off, but received no attention

Caddis, of course, were hatching... 3 different species, brown, black, and green... I brought 3 to the surface w. Copebuggers infamous sparse caddis patterns, but no hook jabs.  We were bombing some casts, hook-sets were rather difficult.

The cahills and sulphurs really started bringing up fish at dark

Fish, however, were taking emergers, not duns.  Hopefully that doesn't last for long.  This is the pattern I had the most luck with today.  Bought from Orvis, hence the photo, though I told Copebugger to tie some up.  Not sure if some of my misses came from the upside down hook, as the fish were smashing it like a dry. 

And finally, a "gem" brown

Was weird today, though green drakes aren't hatching yet, we missed a few fish on some drake patterns... dumb fish

Will be returning tomorrow, hopefully with better pics.
post edited by jimhalupka - 2010/05/21 00:09:50

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee

5 Replies Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Mayfly Confusion 2010/05/21 04:56:10 (permalink)
    Great pics Jim - gotta get out on the water more - and to the vice to try and tie up some of those. Looks like a great pattern. Thanks for sharin.

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

doubletaper
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3977
    RE: Mayfly Confusion 2010/05/21 07:50:12 (permalink)
    it's great to hit the streams at the right time and be rewarded.
    nice job

http://streamsidetales.bl...015/05/helles-yea.html
    it's not luck
    if success is consistent 

dano
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2987
    RE: Mayfly Confusion 2010/05/21 08:20:09 (permalink)
    I've never had much luck with inverted patterns. More misses than solid takes.
    I tie a fly very similar to the emerger in the pic. Mine is not inverted and is tied on a scud hook.
    The body is exactly the same but I use no hackle and yellow and white CDC for the wing. Flank feathers tied short for the tail.
    It works very well.

I think we all have days where fish seem to splash at the fly and you come up empty.
    If I'm fishing dries, I'll cast to normal rise forms and leave the splashers for last.
    As far as all those fish splashing at your fly and coming up empty on the hook set, it could mean a lot of things.
    It could be last minute refusals. Or they are recently stocked fish that are still learning how to eat a fly.
    Looks like you might get decent sulphur spinners tonight.

thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: Mayfly Confusion 2010/05/21 11:31:03 (permalink)
    Nice pics.

I ran into the same last night during the sulphur on the lj. The fish were mainly taking emergers most of the night. The rises looked just as it would if the fish were on duns. Sometimes there's not much difference between the two rises.

I take the guesswork out of it by fishing a dun with an emerger dropped behind about a foot apart.

The Barr emerger is one of my new favorites, and it only takes seconds to tie. Otherwise, for emergers I use sparkle duns, and a cdc pattern similar to what dano describe except I use a antron shuck instead of the flank feather.
    Lochswa
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 108
    RE: Mayfly Confusion 2010/05/25 21:31:51 (permalink)
    I'm a big fan of Sparkle duns and Barr emergers as well

Been having ALOT of luck of recent when they are taking emerging nymphs with a pattern so simple and easy it ought to be outlawed. Take into consideration that the fish were interested in Sulphur nymphs. Got this pattern from Little lehigh book

Tail : Mallard dyed wood duck <less u have some wood duck>
     Body: Dark brown tied cigar shape.

I didnt have any faith in it till i used it. Last week landed one brown 18in and so many after that I lost count. doesnt happen much :)

Try it!
     L
    Jump to: