Trailer kills another person

Author
Like2Fish
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 121
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/14 12:02:48 (permalink)

Trailer kills another person

Not preaching here, only passing on information. 4 years ago a wood chipper broke loose and killed a father and his two young daughters. This is why the State and local police have cracked down on all trailers. The tounge weight, chains, brakes,break aways, lights and inspections where required are all on their hit list. Just sayin!

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/news/23549521/detail.html?treets=pit&tid=2656909189813&tml=pit_12pm&tmi=pit_12pm_1_10450105142010&ts=H

REMEMBER "The toes you step on today may be connected to the AZZ you have to kiss tomorrow"

19 Replies Related Threads

razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/14 12:06:37 (permalink)
    terrible shame.  guy was wearing earlpugs and never heard it coming.

cross those chains...

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5203
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/14 12:10:56 (permalink)
    I was also told this week that your break away cannont be anchored to your tow hitch. Wrap it around the bumper, unless that is your towing hitch, or tie it to the tow vehicle frame.
    nw/jigmaster
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 395
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/14 15:37:07 (permalink)
    Also tighter regs. on saftey chain hooks.. must now have complete loop when installed on tow-veh. NO MORE PLAIN S HOOKS Spring loaded saftey hooks at a minimum.. rather spend my money on bait not on tickets.. NW/
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/14 16:06:04 (permalink)
    i did not know that the plain S hooks are illegal.

when you get a new fishing license you read up on the new regs.

but with boat/trailer when do these regs get sent to those who boat/trailer?

only last year did we start to carry the required road emergency kit when we pull the boat, apparently that had been law for some time.

"Good Luck"

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/14 16:11:40 (permalink)
    Road emergency kit? Wow, I missed that one. Thanks for the heads up...
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/14 16:22:25 (permalink)
    see...  

"Good Luck"

bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/14 16:40:04 (permalink)
    OK, so I just called our local State Police barracks and asked them about the s-hooks and emergency kit. Their answer was to ask my inspection mechanic . So, if my mechanic gives me erroneous information do I still have to pay my fine?
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/14 16:58:41 (permalink)
    You have to have highway flares, or reflectice triangles. Got a warning, but no citation on that one.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8533
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/14 20:36:17 (permalink)
    Clem do you know what the legal way to hook your chains?
    I always cross mine to the bumper. But I guess the best way
    is to the frame. I,m serious. I suppose that if your bumper is not good
    then the frame would be it.

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/14 21:04:50 (permalink)
    This is just me and nothing legal is being implied here, but I would never trust ANYTHING hooked up to the bumper. I have a class III hitch on my truck and the chains go on their designated place on the hitch. I suppose you could fabricate some brackets and either weld/bolt them to the frame to put your chains on there. IMO that would be a far better option than the bumper.
    spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/14 23:52:10 (permalink)
    From the Penna vehicle code.

S 4905 (d) Safety chains.--Whenever two vehicles are connected by a ball-and-socket type hitch, or pintle hook without a locking device, they shall also be connected by two safety chains of equal length, each safety chain having an ultimate strength at least equal to the gross weight of the towed vehicles. The safety chains shall be crossed and connected to the towed and towing vehicle and to the tow bar so as to prevent the tow bar from dropping to the ground in the event the tow bar fails or becomes disconnected. The safety chains shall have no more slack than is necessary to permit proper turning.

§ 4530. Portable emergency warning devices.
    (a) General rule.--Every truck, other than a truck registered as either a Class I or Class II having a gross weight of 7,000 pounds or less, truck tractor and bus and any motor vehicle towing a trailer shall carry at least three portable emergency warning devices of a type specified by regulations promulgated by the department. The regulations shall be consistent with Motor Carrier Safety Regulations, Department of Transportation, Federal Highway Administration, Bureau of Motor Carrier Safety, section 393.95.
    (b) When display required.--Whenever any vehicle of a type referred to in subsection (a) is disabled or stopped for more than ten minutes upon a roadway or shoulder outside of an urban district, or upon any divided highway, the driver of the vehicle shall display the portable warning devices of the type required under subsection (a) in such manner as the department shall direct by regulations.
    (July 10, 1984, P.L.679, No.146, eff. 60 days)

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    woodnickle
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8533
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/15 07:05:13 (permalink)
    Well it doesn,t really tell you where it has to attach. So if you have a bumper hitch , you can attach to the bumper.?

bluntman
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 684
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/15 09:47:38 (permalink)
    post edited by bluntman - 2010/05/15 09:52:25
    Doboy
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 32
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/15 14:12:47 (permalink)
    "Police said the driver was 200 yards away from the U-Haul lot when the truck hit a divot in the road and the trailer broke free."

HOW LONG WAS THE CHUCK HOLE / DIVOT IN THE ROAD?
    SUE THE CITY / STATE!
    I CRASHED MY MOTORCYCLE,,, HIT A CHUCK HOLE IN THE ROAD.
    THE DITCH / HOLE WAS IN THE ROAD FOR 6 MONTHS!!!
    IT WAS REPORTED 9 TIMES!!
    Quote, "ROAD REPAIR CREW MUST HAVE MISSED IT"
    I SUED!
    GUNS DON'T KILL PEOPLE,,, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!!

SlipperySmitt
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/15 17:06:44 (permalink)
    As of about 1 month ago, "S" hooks are legal. That per the inspection cop who checked the books at dads garage. I also asked a DOT guy about that again in Feb. And if they did change it, our old trailers with the "S" hooks should be grandfathered in.

About hooking the chains to something other than the hitch, after my experince, its not a bad idea. I had one break (should say ROT off) on me this winter with aload of firewood on. Neve ever ever, seen or heard of a class 3 rusting off. It rotted off on each end about 1 inch in on each side from where it was welded to the mtg brackets. And this was a sheldon or reese and had only been on the truck about 10 years. Though now this is another thing we look at when a vechicle comes in for an inspection. It was an expereince to say the least, if I can I'll post some pics off it. Love to hear if anyone else ever heard of this, so far no one we ask has.

Smitty
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/16 17:42:49 (permalink)
    I guess common sense has to rule (if that is possible) since each officer doing the check interperts the rules. The "S" hook issue can be solved by the purchase "rubber keeper" sold by most catalog companies selling to the RV industry for about $4.00 a pair. Simple to use and cheap (if you are interested).

As side note, trailered my boat to dock at Lampe today. Didn't get a chance to fish, just a shake down run. Lake was great. Ran out 12 miles to the mountain on a "Glass" surface, don't see that often. Must have seen 100 boats near the cribs. Must be perch fishing. I will have to try that someday.

REMEMBER "The toes you step on today may be connected to the AZZ you have to kiss tomorrow"
    bulldog1
    Pro Angler
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/17 11:37:21 (permalink)
    I once had a small trailer come off the ball, the locking mechanism needed adjusted. It was at slow speed and the tounge of the trailer fell down into the crossed chains just like it's supposed to. I was only going about 10mph and the trailer was whipping side to side, can't imaging what a 6,000 pound trailer would do at 70mph but it wouldn't be good. I talked to a guy last week that lost a 10,000# trailer once, he said the chains just snapped and he barely felt it. Break away brakes averted tragedy there.
    eyesandgillz
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4026
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/17 12:24:07 (permalink)
    Is it legal to use wire rope instead of chain for the safeties?  They should be able to handle the impact forces better than the solid chain links.
    Like2Fish
    Avid Angler
    RE: Trailer kills another person 2010/05/17 19:13:55 (permalink)
    eyes: You will not beleive this, my fishing partner got stopped on I80 for a burnt out tail light on his trailer. While writing a warning ticket, the officer told him cables were NOT approved even if they came from the manufacturer that way, He happens to have a new Tracker rig. The officer said "The statute says "CHAINS" not cables. Go figure. You can not debate any issue when the law is open to interpretation. So, the answer to your question should be "maybe"

Jump to: