I need some help!

Author
steelhound
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 453
  • Reward points: 0
2010/05/10 20:33:12 (permalink)

I need some help!

Hey guys today I was trying to teach my wife to cast my 3wt in the yard. She wants
to come fishin with me, so I figured that'd be the best place to start. She just got frustrated and I'm not the best teacher. Anybody got any good tips for me or any
funny stories about your own adventures doing this yourselves.

12 Replies Related Threads

PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: I need some help! 2010/05/10 21:07:48 (permalink)
    Sure!

I obsess over things until I develop proficiency. So out into the back yard I go with my (soon to be) trusty 5wt. Back and forth from the yard to the computer (for casting vids), day after day. I finally get all of the casts that I want to become proficient in down after about 3 months.

My wife has been watching a bit over this time because her office widows view the back yard, and she likes a good laugh as much as anybody. So I'm swingin away and out she comes. She asks me to show her how. I give her a few pointers and lay out the line for her. She picks up the rod and pulls the back cast, then the fore. Loop forms, rolls out, and the line comes to rest straight and gently.

One more time, just right. Pulls out a little more, and just as smooth. A few more times and she has about 40 or so feet of line flying with a nice loop and the perfect balance of power in the cast. Then she lays down the rod and gives up. I say "Honey, you were doing really well. Why did you stop?".

Her reply- "I dunno. It just doesn't feel like I'm doing anything. I have to get back to work.", and she has never touched a fly rod again.
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: I need some help! 2010/05/10 21:39:06 (permalink)
    Practice, Practice , Practice..

Today the wind helped me alot..

Pulled one fly out of my hat, there is still one buried in the back of my vest somewhere and had a good half dozen Fly, leader, flyline cluster *#*#@* 's...

In a way I can see her point. It drives me nuts not casting on a stream and practicing in the yard...
    So I try and do "all" my practice now on the stream..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

steelhound
    Expert Angler
    RE: I need some help! 2010/05/10 21:48:28 (permalink)
    Hey thanks guys. I think next time I'm going to take her to a farm pond to try to roll cast
    and maybe catch a gill or two. And if I can figure out how to post pics I'll let you guys see some
    progress haha.
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: I need some help! 2010/05/10 22:23:57 (permalink)
    Fly fishing and golf are similar in that it's a wonder any member of the female persuasion can do either considering the advice they receive from their guys:-) But an advantage women have in such matters is that they instinctively see that it ain't about muscle.

That said, just treat yr missus like a beginner and give her an outfit using a WF +1 line. I'd say a #5 rod with a #6 line, or a #6 rod with a #7 line. A rod that's shorter than a 9' is preferable for the purpose, I'd say. This will help her get the sense of the rod flexing and line in the air.

IMHO beginners get frustrated with lighter equipment, espec if it's a fast action rod.
    PeteM
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 539
    RE: I need some help! 2010/05/11 00:09:20 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: steelhound

Hey thanks guys. I think next time I'm going to take her to a farm pond to try to roll cast
    and maybe catch a gill or two. And if I can figure out how to post pics I'll let you guys see some
    progress haha.

Funny stories aside, that is how I started. Makes it a lot more fun to catch something, and some things that seem insignificant will make a lot more sense.
    DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4893
    RE: I need some help! 2010/05/11 07:36:47 (permalink)
    Another thing to try while yard casting is not to worry so much about distance, but more about accuracy.  Lay out paper plates at different distances from 10 to 50 feet and try to put the fly on the plat 3 out of 4 times.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    thedrake
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1948
    RE: I need some help! 2010/05/11 09:57:09 (permalink)
    My female clients seem to learn faster than most of the guys. I figure its because their attention span is longer. It's also because a lot of guys already think they're really good, and don't believe they can learn anything.

I couldn't count how many times I've guided husband and wife pairs where the wife caught a lot more by the end of the day and was throwing better loops.

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: I need some help! 2010/05/11 10:34:14 (permalink)
    It's also because a lot of guys already think they're really good, and don't believe they can learn anything.

Same thing holds true for shooting. When I was competition shooting, the 4-5 girls on the 25 person team often accounted for half of the top scores. The coaches always cited the same reason: the girls were more receptive to advice and suggestions, where the guys, especially the hunters, already thought they knew it all.
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: I need some help! 2010/05/11 12:24:58 (permalink)
    Cold, you are the man
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: I need some help! 2010/05/11 12:51:22 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: pxatim

Cold, you are the man

+22.74323

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: I need some help! 2010/05/11 13:00:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

ORIGINAL: pxatim

Cold, you are the man

+22.74323

+3.141593...
    steelhound
    Expert Angler
    RE: I need some help! 2010/05/12 12:18:18 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone and I hear you wer the man cold
    Jump to: