Shook the Hook

Author
Mr.Slickfish
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 4528
  • Reward points: 0
2010/04/24 00:25:53 (permalink)

Shook the Hook

Lookin for some advice. Recently I've lost more than a few BIG fish on the jump. Believe me when I say...when they came out of the water.....they were furious.

I've got new sharp hooks, braided line, a solid rod....and I set a hook like I'm tryin' to tear your head off. I don't think it's an equipment issue.

When a big fish (30 in +) breaks water doin' kartwheels...what should I be doing to "properly" fight the fish? Or is there nothing in my power to do? Just hold on and adjust after the jump?

I've seen big fish shows where they "bow" to the Gods when they jump....but slack just seem like a pees poor idea....An input appreciated. Lost monsters at the net pees me off.

Slick

I don't always snag fish, but when I do...
I choose Little Cleos

I'm the best looking smartest snagging poacher alive...

24 Replies Related Threads

pxatim
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4786
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 00:32:59 (permalink)
    yep...point the rod at them
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 00:36:50 (permalink)
    No disrespect.....mathematically, it don't make sense.....If i slack up, fish has room to move....please elaborate.

I choose Little Cleos

wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 02:12:17 (permalink)
    Best I can offer is try moving the rod tip towards the water, down below it in the water if it's that close, or opposite the way the fish is rotating. Good luck on keepin them hook ups.

I'd rather be fishin...
    basshole1990
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 02:37:47 (permalink)
    I just read a small article in a Field and Stream that said to point your rod tip down and in the opposite direction of the fish's head. Not sure which edition, but I definitely remember seeing it.

Bigger is better.
    gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 02:57:46 (permalink)
    Slick, not that I ever lose (or hook !) any big fish, but maybe at times the slack prevents the hook from tearing out. Seems the weakest link torque wise may be fish flesh. Just a 3am thought !

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    bigben7
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 885
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 05:12:42 (permalink)
    like they say on those tarpin flyfishing shows "bow to the beast".  a fish moves faster in the air than in water. the quick change of direction on the jump may cause the hook to whip out.  basically what gizmo said
    tank7791
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 511
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 07:25:28 (permalink)
    Slick, this is what I was told to do ( change your hooks to a smaller gauge ) Its like takeing a nail and a pin, push them both into your finger, which one goes deeper. The harder the mouth is the harder it is to get a good hookset

Tight lines and happy days

Silence is golden but duct tape is silver

http://s619.photobucket.com/albums/tt277/tank7791/?firstLogin=true
    CUZZZZZZZZZZ
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 25
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 11:42:17 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: Mr.Slickfish

Lookin for some advice. Recently I've lost more than a few BIG fish on the jump. Believe me when I say...when they came out of the water.....they were furious.

I've got new sharp hooks, braided line, a solid rod....and I set a hook like I'm tryin' to tear your head off. I don't think it's an equipment issue.

When a big fish (30 in +) breaks water doin' kartwheels...what should I be doing to "properly" fight the fish? Or is there nothing in my power to do? Just hold on and adjust after the jump?

I've seen big fish shows where they "bow" to the Gods when they jump....but slack just seem like a pees poor idea....An input appreciated. Lost monsters at the net pees me off.

Slick

sometimes I've noticed braid and lost fish go hand in hand. maybe the stretch factor? dont know, but it seems I lose less fish with mono.
    changing to smaller hooks works for sure. just make sure the lure still runs correct.
    mashing down the barbs on trebles works great. Believe it or not but as long as you maintain
    pressure,you wont lose fish. somrtimes bass,pike have bony mouths, the hook doesnt go past the barb, fish jumps, you lose it.
    Its hard to first start mashing barbs, but it works better. try it, I bet you will agree.

Plus, if you do break off a big pike or bass, it will more chance to throw the hook. alot
    of big fish die after a lure breaks off and locks there jaws up and they starve to death.
    post edited by CUZZZZZZZZZZ - 2010/04/24 11:47:44
    Deadbolt401
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3029
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 12:08:01 (permalink)
    Slick, you using circle hooks? Probably are, just sayin. those things are hard to shake free, especially out of your hand at 5 am with low light 

Other than that, I'd go with what Giz said, Feesh Fleesh tears brah!
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 14:47:04 (permalink)
    When a big fish jumps, many times they jump up and away from the force constricting them.
    IMO I believe this to be the reason they snap the line or come unhooked. So, sometimes one
    needs to point the rod towards the airborne fish or "bow".

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 14:53:40 (permalink)
    Thanks for the replies...consensus seems to the the same...I'm gonna give it a shot, If I ever get another big one

I choose Little Cleos

Mountian Man
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4118
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 15:08:31 (permalink)
    Make sure your hooks are needle sharp.

Thread Killer

Veni Vidi Vici...
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 721
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 15:27:51 (permalink)
    I did a quick overview of everyones responce, did you happen to say what kind of fish are throwing your hooks? I am guess pike with 30+ inch.

I hope your gear is up for the fish thats a biggie.

Upsize your hook, i am basing this on pike/musky fishing. Do this as long as it does not effect the action of the bait. With smaller hooks it is harder to get the hook to bite in. You might get two of the points to find flesh but now your power of hook set is divided by two trying to drive home two points, this matters alot if the fish has the hook hit like its jaw bone. where as a larger hook might go deeper in the mouth missing the same bone a smaller one would hit, or only one point is in the mouth and now you have full power on a single point.

Every hook you own you must sharpen your self, i do not care who makes the hook, get a file and put on your own point. That is huge take it from a guy who thought the hooks were sharp enough. Before i started sharping i went from landing 20% of the musky i hooked (or thougth i did) to landing over 80% of the muskys that ate my baits.

Proper hook sets help out alot, i have not seen you set the hook. You might have perfect form but like i said above you need to have the right gear. Or you might have poor form and great gear, either or will leave you with heart broke.

Also if the fish comes up to the surface to do a head shake, drive the rod deep in to the water and crank like a mad man. this will force the back down. Also when fighting the fish do not pull super hard on it, let it stay mid level. Work the fish in nice, keep pressure but not forcing the fish.
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 19:01:30 (permalink)
    That's alot of really good advice.....thanks 

I choose Little Cleos

wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 19:03:50 (permalink)
    I was going to elaborate more since last night was quick late night post, but Anzomcik covered everything that I was gonna add. Equipment is a big factor in the control of the fish. If they're surficing up close to you put the rod tip down in the water and reel the fish back downward. If they're surfacing at a distance keep the tip close to the water or in it, and use the rod to pull it back underwater. Keep tension by reeling away the slack. In mid air too hard of a yank to get tension might be what pulls the hook out. If the equipment is up to it you should be able stop or deter the fish from doing what it wants to do.

I'd rather be fishin...
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 20:25:29 (permalink)
    I learned alot of things by doing them the hard way, then needed to change them to the correct way. This article helped me out with proper hook sets, at first (for me) it was weird to do it the way Joe says but now i almost always have his stance and follow through. Here is the link

http://www.joe-bucher.com/pages/fishing-tips.php
    Mr.Slickfish
    Pro Angler
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 20:34:21 (permalink)
    That was a really informative article. I found out my stance and hookset are WAY OFF...gonna work on my form...

Thanx Duud!

I choose Little Cleos

gizmos
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1190
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/24 22:07:29 (permalink)
    Very good read. Short of going fishing, I'm not doing much else right. Think with my back problems though, I am going to start shouldering my rod and running in the opposite direction !

Eat what you catch,troll for cows.
    beerman
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1314
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/25 09:36:23 (permalink)
    So....what is the best tool to hone your hooks? Stone, hook sharpening gizmo etc.?
    post edited by beerman - 2010/04/25 09:37:21

changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes....nothing remains quite the same

The Beerman ~ Greg
    deetz4352
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 3549
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/25 10:18:21 (permalink)
    Slick  CHECK THIS OUT I FOUND YER ANSWER DUUD !!!!

http://basstarbaits.com/spintech/

watch the video ,  shows you how it works and you keep fish hooked.
    post edited by deetz4352 - 2010/04/25 10:26:27

The Deetz
    Fishermen are born honest,but they get over it
    anzomcik
    Expert Angler
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/25 10:31:59 (permalink)
    I prefer to use a mill bastard file, I work at a machine shop so i bought a 4 inch one. But a fine chain saw file works great, the ones you can get from any hardware store. All the hooks needs is a few good strrokes to make it deadly sharp.

The way i sharpen hooks (i will try to explain.)A file only cuts in one direction, if you are holding the hanlde the push motion is the cutting move, not the drag back. So after the push pick up the file, then retract, that is important and many do not know that.

I start the same on every hook, weather it is a single hoo or treble does not matter. I hold the hook with the barb end pointing twoards me. I hold the file on about a 45 degree angle (you are trying to make a tri agnle for a point) and push the file with light to med. pressure only trying to sharpen 1/3 to 1/2 to the barb, do that for a couple of strokes. then i shapen the other side, by now the hook should be pretty sharp. then i do the same for the top of the triangle you made making it a square point. Be careful of not raming your sharp hook in to your hand. Alot of big name musky guys say to stroke the file the other way from the round bend, you do not give a reason, might be for safty. By doing it there way they roll a bur on to the other side of the hook, the hook might be sharp enough but you will get it sharper by pushing in to the point, but there way is safer. You choose. i will try to post a few pics, or video (if i can figure out how) to help with my explaination.
    luvinbluegills
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/25 15:33:58 (permalink)
    I got told by some friends that I was nuts when I said to "bow to a jumping fish"...at least until they started doing it and stopped losing so many fish on the jump.  

Faith is only as good as its object
    Adventures with Fish
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5028
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/25 18:49:13 (permalink)

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

DarDys
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4912
    RE: Shook the Hook 2010/04/26 07:42:49 (permalink)
    Having bowed to more thaa a few Tarpon, the point is not to put slack in the line, but to keep it taught not tight.  As Beerman wrote, the fish usually jumps up and away from the pressure.  Bow enough to keep some tension on the line, but not have it stretched like a banjo string.  It takes practice to get the feel right.

And sometimes, no matter what you do, they come off.

The poster formally known as Duncsdad

Everything I say can be fully substantiated by my own opinion.
    Jump to: