trout flies

Author
dewey123
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 210
  • Reward points: 0
2010/04/20 19:04:40 (permalink)

trout flies

I just tried out my new fly rod... im trying to get back into fly fishing again. I used to use it for blue gill and sunnies but never trout. What are you guys using to catch stock trout? I tried egg patterns, wooly bugger, green weenie and a green worm thing. I hooked up on a rainbow about 20-24 inches long and a little brook trout both on the egg pattern but most of the day i watched my flies float past fish without a bite or a glance. sometimes they would swim over and check it out maybe a little nibble but nothing. The whole time i wasnt catching anything people are tearing the fish up next to me. What am i doing wrong? Any help would be appreciated.

27 Replies Related Threads

bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/20 19:40:30 (permalink)
    I'm just a newb too so don't take this as gospel.

I have had good luck with nymphs..
    Gold Ribbed Hare's Ear, Black and Brown Stone Fly Nymphs bounced on the bottom..

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

dietz31684
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/20 20:28:53 (permalink)
    I feel your pain.   I would suggest it has more to do with your drift and overall presentation than the exact fly.  That is from my limited experience at least.  I am fairly new to FFing also, slowing down while on the stream and watching others who are more experienced has help me a lot.

I agree with bings for flies.  I have had my best luck with hares ears, stone flies, and olive egg-sucking leeches.

Dont let bings fool you...he might be a beginner but he catches a lot of fish  
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/20 20:40:29 (permalink)
    thanks guys. ill have to give them a try. I talked to the guy at the fly shop and he recomended the ones i bought(olive and black wooly buggers, green weenie, green worm and the singe egg patterns) Fly fishing for trout is alittle different than i thought it would. I normally use a spinning rod for stockies and tear them up just cant do it yet with a fly rod. I didnt know if i was making too much noise in the water casting or if i was messing with my line too much making the flie go faster or slower than the current. I guess it will come in time and alot of practice.
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/20 20:43:42 (permalink)
    I have been trying to cast up stream and pulling in line as it comes to me trying to not over do it and affect to motion and i let it float alittle past me and repeat. I am also using a small fish pimp indicator (that the fish love i should put a hook on that) I also put on 1 or 2 micro shot to get it down a little bit.
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 175
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/21 01:24:55 (permalink)
    This is my first year fly fishing. I took out my 7fter for trout opener. Tried a few different patterns, but this was the only one that got any interest. I don't know what the pattern is called. It's actually just the fly from one of the Joe's flies spinners. White, fuzzy head, wings, tail, and a tied in treble. White was the only color that got any interest. I caught one with it, and hooked into 2 others. I drifted it weightless from upcreek. It got the most interest on the early casts. After that a few would go for it on the bottom only to nibble or turn away.

[image][/image]
    [image][/image]

Bad picture of the fly. It's on a camera phone.
    post edited by wrighter00 - 2010/04/21 01:29:38

I'd rather be fishin...
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2674
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/21 10:00:41 (permalink)
    That trout in that pic sure as heck isn't going anywhere with that dry glove death grip.....

Good job man, you got'eem.
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1058
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/21 11:35:52 (permalink)
    wrighter... are you a regular on huntingpa.com?

suggestion to the original poster, don't over complicate.  Cast a quarter up, make a huge mend to ensure the flies go ahead of the strike indicator, or fly line, and keep your line off the water.  Stay in direct contact with your flies.  Switch it up.  If you've drifted for more than 20 minutes in a section, move on, or re-tie. 

Personally, I've had success with stockies this season and nymphs/streamers.  The high magnitude of bait dunking is at it's peak right now, and in a few weeks, you will fish to more adjusted trout, with less guys... you know, the ones who think the green caddis are mosquito and swat at them all day, layering themselves in bug spray. 

a pal of mine offered some "off" to me the other day, I shook my head no, and told him I embrace the hatch baby. 

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    Speyfish
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 37
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/21 13:40:59 (permalink)
    When fishing subsurface you want your flies moving with the current, not being pulled downstream by the line.  I usually cast 90 degrees across from me and then mend the fly line back upstream to try to get a drag free drift.  Personally I don't like indicators.  Also holding your rod vertically to keep as much as of the fly line off the water also helps to get a drag free drift.  You are also in a tighter connection to the fly that way to feel takes. 

In freestone streams caddis larva, generic nymphs and egg patterns will work.  In limestone streams scuds, caddis larva, and midge larva seem to work better.

Just my 2 cents.  Good luck and welcome to flyfishing.

Dave
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/21 22:11:33 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: jimhalupka

wrighter... are you a regular on huntingpa.com?

Naw, I'm not on any other forums, fishing or non. The only thing I'm doing on my comp is either gaming or surfing the web.

That little troutie swam away no less a champ than when I hooked him up. I was actually only holding him with the 2 middle fingers. They're tough little buggers. It's those steelhead that are panzies.

I'd rather be fishin...
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/21 22:18:58 (permalink)
    share some more pics from your library dude. Nice fish and nice poses.  I like that stuff, butt.

"Sure, we can assiduously three-quarter our wets downstream, mend and wait out each fly swing, over and over again, which to my way of thinking, anyway, relegates the angler to the role, not of nemesis as it should be, but of butler."

-Art Lee
    anchke
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/22 22:15:57 (permalink)
    You mentioned other anglers were catching fish, though you weren't. Sometimes it's a good idea to go sit on the bank, munch that sammich you brought and observe the successful guys. I have a pocket-size monocular for just such on-the-stream tutorials. (Simmons, 3.5" long, 8x21) Also -- though this may sound weird -- instead of concentrating on perfect presentation, try to picture yourself feeding the fish. Make it easy for them. Learn to read flowing water and spend 90% of your time in fishy spots. Some newbies just congregate with everyone else, which can be a hard habit to break. And do you have some White Zonkers? Good luck.
    post edited by anchke - 2010/04/22 22:17:23
    dewey123
    Avid Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/26 21:39:13 (permalink)
    ive seen them white zonkers but never picked one up. I thought they woul be more for bass. I went back down and saw people catching them on maggots. I have a hard time bringing myself to buy live maggots to fish with...just thinking that they are alive in my pocket kinda freaks me out alittle bit. Unless there is a similar type of fly to use i guess i might have to suck it up and buy a little tube of maggots and drift them.
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/27 00:18:30 (permalink)
    I learned a great lesson today. Have a large assortment of flies, big and small, and use whatever you have that looks the closest to the actual bugs flying around the water. Makes sense, right? I was out at a Troub club with my buddy today in the pouring rain. There was still some little tiny flyers all around the water, and if they weren't landing on it the fish were jumping to get them. Put on some tan colored gnat sized flies with little wings, and we were set. They were on teeny tiny hooks, and we still got nice sized trout.

^ My 2nd trout on a dry fly. It was a nice step up.

I'd rather be fishin...
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 5026
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/27 07:35:09 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: dewey123

ive seen them white zonkers but never picked one up. I thought they woul be more for bass. I went back down and saw people catching them on maggots. I have a hard time bringing myself to buy live maggots to fish with...just thinking that they are alive in my pocket kinda freaks me out alittle bit. Unless there is a similar type of fly to use i guess i might have to suck it up and buy a little tube of maggots and drift them.

Just tie your maggots out of latex.
    Condoms(unlubricated), rubber gloves..

Here is a link to a tute...

http://forums.fishusa.com/latex_caddis_tute/m_282367/tm.htm

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/27 12:32:34 (permalink)
    wrighter... if u got caught that trout on a dry beside a pellet dry, or during a pellet hatch, at yellow creek trout club, i call bs.   just sayin'

I, and many others from this site, have never caught, nor witnessed a fish being caught on a dry at the club, and we used to fish it daily. 

post edited by jimhalupka - 2010/04/27 12:37:41

-Art Lee
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/27 14:09:56 (permalink)
    ^ Agreed.  Sad, but true, those fish are glued to the bottom until an actual pellet, or something that looks similar (even in the form of small pine cone, as witnessed) floats overhead.  But, brown gnat will work until the fish key-in on pellets only.  Once they are in there for awhile they get pretty discerning of pellet imitations.
    dru2112
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2265
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/27 17:01:14 (permalink)
    not true fellas....me and dougie tantlinger just got back from the club.  hammered up top on caddis.  wrighter, looks like you're right
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/27 17:32:05 (permalink)
    C-C-C-Combo Breaker!!!
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/27 20:03:38 (permalink)
    lol boy... you and tant eh?

that's a nice combo

dru's just making problems...

-Art Lee
    Loomis
    Pro Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/27 22:42:39 (permalink)
    Dru,

We all know you did a little shaving of your Elk Hair Caddis.

PS. I need some chew
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/28 00:02:01 (permalink)
    We were getting more action on crankbaits, but no bs, it was pouring down rain and the bugs were still all over the water. The fish were not only grabbing them off the top, but jumping out of the water to catch them. We fly fished the holes where we saw the most surfacing. My friend was there the day before with no rain, and he said they were surfacing everywhere. There was only one other guy when we left too, and he caught 2 on flies just down from us as we were making our way back up to the car. My friend suggested the little tan ones because they were hitting them the day before. I was surprised at how little of one he picked, but it best matched the bugs flying around. I thought how is that ever gonna hook a decent sized trout. Then it did, and I saw just how. These were the kinds we were using. I don't know the hook/fly sizes like you all do, but they were tiny.

Oh yea, this was my favorite catch at the "trout" club. It's more my style.

I'd rather be fishin...
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/28 12:47:20 (permalink)
    haha... makes me wanna waste a day catching hogs up there.  Were you by chance at ferriers run a few nights ago casting to some rising fish? 

those small tan flies you were seeing were prob. caddis.  I fish an atw or two downstream of the club, and they are hatching.

-Art Lee
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/30 00:58:14 (permalink)
    Naw, I've never fished there. I'm probably done on trout for a bit, other than the club. Bad run-in with the warden today at my go to creek. It left me with a bad taste in my mouth about the trout program. Plus, from what I saw other than the pellet fed ones, the trout here are a little more at home and prone to acting more normally.

You fish downstream from the club, I'm curious do some the fish ever make it out of there? Also, what lake feeds Yellow creek? I'd like to know how the musky and pike got in there. Apparently the guys who run the club want them dead, as they eat the young trout. I thought it was a great addition to the trip. Besides that, I only saw 2 pike and 1 musky. Too many trout to count.

I'd rather be fishin...
    jimhalupka
    Pro Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/30 08:03:17 (permalink)
    yea, i fish downstream, and fish do escape.

its quite comical when someone the first day of trout catches a pellet fed hog from the club, and freaks out.  Roped to mount, not smoke haha.

I had my fun with that place.  You wait until this summer, if you're lucky, you'll hook into a few carp on the fly.  The lake "Yellow Creek" is not far upstream from the club.  In fact, if you walked upstream far enough on his property, you will see the dam.  There is also a project a few miles downstream called the water works.  It's a smaller dam, and has still water.  Not exactly sure what it's for, but there is all species found in there too. 

If you haven't been at the club when a feeder goes on, I can see why you like the place, once you do witness how the place actually works, you'll be sickened.  What once used to be a nice stretch of public water, is now a posted pellet factory.  I believe natural reproduction could take place up there, but some stream work would have to be done.  In the past few years, he has slowed that water down, almost to the point a spin fisherman would do best there. 

It's funny though, there is some elitist old dudes that fly fish down there, and think they are big time.  I had a dude telling me the Latin names for sulphurs one day, and I'm thinking, buddy, those fish won't rise to a mayfly unless it smells like a pellet.

-Art Lee
    wrighter00
    Avid Angler
    RE: trout flies 2010/04/30 22:51:08 (permalink)
    oh, we did shake the feeders. haha. It wasn't much different from feeding pymatuning carp. I was mostly referring to the fish along the creek, not around the feeders. They shot out after crankbaits alot, but it's not any harder to get predator fish to binge on minnows than it would be on pellets... or what they think are minnows.

In the creek I've been fishing, the fish are just schooled in holes and uninterested in anything that isn't actually food. I got a fine while fly fishing the delayed harvest area, just for having bait in my bag from fishing a hole down creek below the harvest from area. He said he had to do it, and told me the delayed harvest areas were for guys like me who wanted to fly fish. After having no luck there, I thought something similar "buddy, these fish don't want anything that isn't food".

I've began researching native creeks in PA and gathering camping gear. I'm thinking it's my best shot for a decent fishing trip.

I'd rather be fishin...
    16506fish
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 433
    RE: trout flies 2010/05/01 17:18:37 (permalink)
    just started fly fishing and was wondering if anyone who fishes the oil creek area could send me a PM or something and give some ideas on what flies would be good to start with... any advice would be appreciated
    joedv1218
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 206
    RE: trout flies 2010/05/01 20:44:19 (permalink)
    I crush em on wooly buggers. Black or white. But is is more about the drift as stated in the earlier posts. I was fishing Pine Creek on Friday Mid day, If my drift wasnt on this particular seam in the current, I wouldnt get anything, but when it was, fish on. I landed 10 and lost another 10........ That run was loaded with them. Best day for me in a long time.

Jesus said, "I tell you the truth, No one can see the Kingdom of God unless he is born again." John 3:3

"Some go to church and think about fishing, others go fishing and think about God."~by Tony Blake~
    Jump to: