Year of the DSR?

Author
EagleCrg
Avid Angler
  • Total Posts : 160
  • Reward points: 0
2007/10/06 11:22:09 (permalink)

Year of the DSR?

With their fee increase this year, I decided that the DSR had priced me out of their business.  Yet after spending 5 days on the river fishless, I have to admit that I believe (based on reports) that I could have been into fish had I fished the DSR. Unlike most years, it seems that about 90% or more of the positive reports have come from fishermen who were in the DSR.  Having experienced my first major run of fish there last year, I find the reports of pods & pods of fish moving by all day fully believeable.  Judging from the cars in their parking lot, I don't think they missed my business.  This is one year though, where it seems like fishing the DSR was the only option (for ethical fishermen).  We'll see what the rest of the season brings.  With the recent reports of fish moving upstream, they have to be getting spread out top to bottom soon.

15 Replies Related Threads

spoonchucker
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 8561
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/06 13:16:01 (permalink)
    I would think that the big advantage to fishing the DSR this year, would be a chance at fish that are not being constantly beaten up, and sodomized by the lead chunkers. It may not make as much difference in higher flows, but it sure seems to put them down in low & clear.

Get Informed, Get Involved, And Make A Difference.

Step Up, or Step Aside

The next time you say "Somebody should do something", remember that YOU are somebody.

GL
    saltflyfisher
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 565
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/06 16:24:30 (permalink)
    Not to hijack the thread, but I was amazed w/ the ability for some people to adapt to low water. These people would still throw large amts of lead in very shallow water. Old habits are hard to break.

I had the same feeling about the cost, $30.00. Instead of fishing 4 days, I fished only 3 days there. I know in the overall picture its 5 extra, but was a tougher pill to swallow. Next yr it may be another state all together, yes it may cost more but I'm looking for a change.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/06 16:40:21 (permalink)
    Eagle:
    i have spent 8 fishing days at the DSR this year and am also a yearly season pass holder
    reason i fish there is because 1. i like the water there & 2. i feel they have done a good job of maintaining order.
    now this year with the lower water conditions it seems thats where "everyone" needs to fish
    in that i mean the low water is keepng the fish from spreading out throughout the entire river system
    now last year mind you they did not sell out once, this year they are selling out every weekend
    again due to the above "everyone" needs to be there
    and now my meaning of "everyone" :
    i'm not going to put it lightly or ****foot around it.
    all the scumbag so called fisherman are lifting,lining & snagging away right in plain sight
    and in the times i have been there i feel not enough is being done to deture this
    i did get into an altercation with a "scumbag" on thurs when i was fishing the head of a pool>run far above the nonsense and nobody near by.
    the fish would continue to exit the pool and stage in a brokenwater slot before exiting to the next pool above me
    it was great most of the day until!!!!
    the sun came high and the pool slowed down but the fish kept moving into my broken water slot
    when the jerks seen that i continued to "catch" fish they decided to come and snag next to me.
    not being able to keep my big mouth shut i told them to take a hike and leave people alone who wish to fish for salmon(not so nicely i might add)
    everyone is full aware of whats going on i only wish more would be done to keep the place respectable as is has been in the past

my rant.....
    brook trout fishing was much more fun

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/06 17:06:02 (permalink)
    did you report the violation?

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/06 17:36:24 (permalink)
    i'll hold my tonge as much as possible as i dont want to put folks down who do a good job in the area i like to fish and will not comment furthur
    but do you tell the police who are watching speeders flying by to give them a ticket ?

"whats that smell like fish oh baby" .. J. Kaukonen
    OldSalt
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 307
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/06 22:57:08 (permalink)
    Tuna,

Don't hold your tongue !!  It's total BS with what goes on at the DSR in these conditions. They are supposed to monitor the snaggin, and when I see it I tell they f-'n snagger/lifter and whoever may be on the River for the DSR. It's our duty to let them know. There are so many a-holes that don't know how to catch a **** fish, you wonder how they managed to tie a f'-kn knot. Anyway I fish there early, late Aug. to mid-Sept. Won't fish there this time of year unless it's 500-1500 cfs. Won't even fish the river right now with the low flows.

EagleCrg, the DSR is the place to be though if you do want to get into fish. Every year that the flows are low, the DSR holds the fish. This year, like low flow years in the past, they will spawn there also.

This makes it even more important to let Connie and all, know what you see and what's going on, and that you the paying customer are not happy about it. They do want a ethical environment at the DSR, so you have to speak up and let them hear it. We as ethical fisherman, fly or spin, have to voice our opinion or our opinion will be lost and things will never improve. Sorry for the rant, but it ****es me off big time, 'cause these fish will take a fly so well if properly presented and not harrassed.

Anyway, good luck this year, it's gonna' be a tough one.

Don't forget to be a voice !!

Tight lines,

OldSalt
    salmotrutta
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2132
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/07 00:30:15 (permalink)
    Keep the torch burning guys. Tough year for Fish and "Angler" as we all predicted.

Lyrical
    metalslayer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 689
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/07 10:08:16 (permalink)
    No I don't dial 911 when a vehicle blows by me---but don't complain about it either.I have pointed out perps in the DSR b4 and have always watched the prob get "corrected"

Steel on a pin---so easy a caveman can do it.
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/07 22:38:54 (permalink)
    Saw allot of guys "fishing" in  a foot of water today in the DSR with three musket ball size spit shot 3 feet up from their hook......Hmmmmmmmmm????

If I was a WCO (or what ever they call them in NY) I'd have to go on disability my first day there from corporal tunnel and writers cramp.
    post edited by tippy-toe - 2007/10/07 23:14:40

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    MattyD.
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 43
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/08 06:54:55 (permalink)
    Look - the DSR has 4 or 5 riverkeepers walking the banks durig the peek weeks of October.  The stretch of the DSR is 2.5 miles.  They can not see everything - all of the time.  It is not being a rat - but making fishing better for everyone.  Tell them what you have witnessed, they will appreciate it and get the problem corrected.

In Life We All Have Choices. I Choose to Fish!

Fish Off...
    MattyD.
    upnorth
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/08 13:09:44 (permalink)
    Saw it all last week. There is much less of the bad stuff going down in the DSR than on other parts of the river. But it is still happening. I will say that I was pleased to see many abiding by the rules and fishing. The water is horribly low and there are very few places for the fish to rest or transition without getting bombarded. There are plenty of guys using fly gear and doing nothing more than they would with heavy surf rods...and it is not fishing. Most folks are fishing the DSR and it is not the quality fishing experience that it usually is just by the shear number of people - even mid week.  We caught lots of fish but had many more uninterested in our offerings. Light tippets and small flies helped, smaller than I've ever used for salmon. Some nice pods of Cohos came through and provided a good bit of fun in low light conditions just prior to sunset when most had already left the river. Saw a few steelhead but not many and no players although we witnessed a few caught. Friday there were just too many people and we had enough by 9:30am and packed it in for an earlier than expected departure.  It's funny how many people turn into guides once you hook a fish and are playing it. Plenty of advice to be had and it's not all good. You start to chuckle when you realize it's coming from people who are fishing above you and haven't had a hookup in the two plus hours you've been fishing while you've had several. Light line is a term the goons can't comprehend. People get ****y when the fish you are fighting keep running into "their" water. And even ****ier when you decide to leave and walk across in the water you've been fishing but because it's 20 yards downstream your walking out is preventing fish from entering their hole. Funny thing about migratory fish...they just don't stay in one spot!

A great week of weather was had by the fisherman, but not the fish. You've heard it a million times but the area is desperate for rain. It is as bad as I've ever seen it. Despite the goons and difficult conditions, I've yet to experience a trip to this watershed that I haven't enjoyed. This one was no different. The DSR is spectacular, as it always is. Just wish it was 6 hours closer to home. Go if you are undecided. Drop down in equipment, tippet and fly size and have fun.

-Up^
    post edited by upnorth - 2007/10/08 13:12:33
    TB
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 247
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/08 15:51:37 (permalink)
    Tippy, what do you think you were doing?  Do you think those king's were viciously eating your egg patterns in 6 inches of water?
    Catching Chrome
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 177
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/08 16:02:13 (permalink)
    TB, we both know that that Tippee was flossing, although he'll tell everyone he caught them. His name should be flossman!
    tippy-toe
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4334
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/08 20:21:25 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: TB

Tippy, what do you think you were doing?  Do you think those king's were viciously eating your egg patterns in 6 inches of water?

Yep, and its more like 2 feet of water

I have the right to remain silent.....I just don't have the ability
    scudbug
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 27
    RE: Year of the DSR? 2007/10/09 13:34:46 (permalink)
    TB and Catching Chrome.  If you have ever fished with Tippy you know that he ties his own innovative patterns.  He could coax a half dead fish into taking a piece of hotdog.  Look at his first fly "Demon Spawn".  That's caught 100's of fish
    Jump to: