Depth Charge Bird's Nest

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/12 09:01:04 (permalink)

Depth Charge Bird's Nest

Saw this pattern in one of the Fly Fishing mags and thought I'd give it a try...
It calls for the use of a dubbing loop.
So I made a little one out of some Stainless wire and a chunk of arrow...

Couple questions..

When loading the dubbing loop do you twist it very much as you add the material ???

Is a long sparser loop better than a short bulky one ???

Any tips or tricks ???

Here's my Bird's Nest and my first attempt at using a dubbing loop... Critiques welcome....Thanks.....BING

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

4 Replies Related Threads

steely34
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1280
    RE: Depth Charge Bird's Nest 2010/03/12 09:32:19 (permalink)
    Nice loop tool - why didn't I do that instead of payin $10 for one? And great tie! As far as the loop - what I do - and I'm sure others have a different opinion - but I load the loop all at once - putting the material between the thread loop by evenly spreading out the dubbing along the length of the loop. Then when I think I have enough - I spin the loop using the tool.. I tend to make my loops long and sparse and if I need to build a bulkier body or thorax - I just make more wraps at that point. Don't know if this explains it or if it helps ya out. Like I said - I'm sure others have their way of doin it. 

"They say you forget your troubles on a trout stream, but that's not quite it..... you begin to see where your troubles fit into the grand scheme of things, and suddenly they're just not such a big deal anymore."

John Gierach

Skip16503
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 4028
    RE: Depth Charge Bird's Nest 2010/03/12 09:37:58 (permalink)
    Any fish in its right mind would eat that  Nice Tie

Jokerball101
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 388
    RE: Depth Charge Bird's Nest 2010/03/12 10:06:38 (permalink)
    Nice Tie Bings 
    Flyguy638
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 328
    RE: Depth Charge Bird's Nest 2010/03/12 21:36:08 (permalink)
    Bing, once I have spun the dubbing loop,(tight enough so when you let up on it then pull down the loop is sort of springy)I use a tooth brush and brush the loop out alittle (this allows some of the trapped guard hairs out and also sort of makes the "noodle" alittle more uniform. Then when I make wraps I pull down and back on materials after each turn. This photo shows me that you have the Knack of it and after alittle experimentation you will come up with an effective way to use the loop.
    Jump to: