Albright fly rods

Author
bingsbaits
Pro Angler
  • Total Posts : 5026
  • Reward points: 0
2010/03/07 08:32:20 (permalink)

Albright fly rods

Looking for my first Dry Fly and smaller stream rod..

Any one have any experience with or own an Albright A5 ??

Was looking at an Albright A5  7' 6"  4W  for throwing some dries and small stuff on Oil Creek..

Is this to short of a rod  for the larger creeks ??

"There is a pleasure in Angling that no one knows but the Angler himself". WB

14 Replies Related Threads

clearwater
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 345
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/03/07 09:13:54 (permalink)
    i  dont know many guys that fish albright rods but i checked out there site and it seems like  what ud want. i have a orvis 7' 4wt super fine rod.. its imo one of the best small stream rods is only 1oz and with the reel i have its around 5 0z very light...     if i could tell u one thing to do is cast the rod befor u buy it if you can.  every rod is differnt...    ps not sure where ur buyn it at but when i went to there site the rod was on sale http://www.albrightflyfish.com/fly-rods/a-5-fly-rods.html      

10% Of the fishermen catch 90% of the fish..... IT AIN'T LUCK
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/03/07 09:57:18 (permalink)
    That's why I asked heck of a deal..
    I read a review from one of the rod shops that tested 6-8 different rods and the Albright out performed some of the more expensive rods...
    Here's the link to the test...

http://www.yellowstoneangler.com/FlyRodComparisonAlbrightG.LoomisOrvisSageScottTempleForkThomasThomasTomMorganRodsmithsR.L.Winstonrodtesting.asp
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2010/03/07 10:06:44

razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/03/07 11:09:02 (permalink)
    i have the 3wt 5 piece A5. it's a decent little rod. best feature is that it fits easily in the wader bag. casts nicely as well for the price.

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/03/07 12:09:03 (permalink)
    I've heard lots of good things about the A5...Albright in general, not so much. I've heard that for their great prices, shipping costs can get outrageous, and usually their real deals are without any kind of warranty. If you can get one with reasonable shipping, and aren't concerned about a warranty, I'd say go for it.
    razmatazz05
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1856
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/03/07 12:37:57 (permalink)
    i got mine from an online classified, so wattanty was not going to be an option. i was looking at their reels, shipping was way over priced.

"Good Luck"

Thanks for the usage of your forum. My Money will not go to your tackle shop.
    Steel Junkie
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 297
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/03/11 10:51:06 (permalink)
    I know troutslammer has an albright rod and he seems to like it so far, if you dont mind not having a warranty it seems like a good deal to me, I also think they look better in person than they do on the website.
    Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/03/11 18:30:38 (permalink)
    It might be a good rod, but if the company won't stand behind their product they must not have much confidence in the quality of it. IMO there are way to many quality rod manufacturers on the market that will stand behind their products to even consider purchasing an Albright.
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/03/12 19:27:06 (permalink)
    who said they won't stand behind their product ? you can't expect a 25 yr warantee on a 125.00 rod , when you buy a 600 dollar rod u are buying the warranty whether you believe it or not !
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/03/12 20:09:41 (permalink)
    Got the rod in hand... Thanks for the info guys.....

Esox_Hunter
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 2393
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/03/13 12:03:43 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: troutslammer

who said they won't stand behind their product ? you can't expect a 25 yr warantee on a 125.00 rod , when you buy a 600 dollar rod u are buying the warranty whether you believe it or not !

Why not?

I own Cabelas, St. Croix, Sage, Orvis rods that were in the $150-250 range that all have at least 25year warranties.

Bings, I hope the rod works great for you and that you have no problems with it.
    post edited by Esox_Hunter - 2010/03/13 12:04:32
    ckrich
    New Angler
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/05/18 17:46:02 (permalink)
    I got into fly fishing about 4 months ago, and ordered the GP 9' 5-6 wt. 2-piece, GP 5-6 reel, and set of Trinity waders.  It took forever for them to ship, and when I called to inquire about it the CEO was very condenscending and promised I would recieve a shipping notification right away viaemail.  I recieved it three days later, the day before the shipment arrived.  I shook this off and found that I was satisfied with the equipment that I had purchased, although the reel has developed some wobble after only moderate use. 

In early May I placed an order for a GP 9'6" 7-8 wt. 2-piece, and a week later I recieved the rod.  The next weekend I finally got out on the water with it to chase stripers.  I hooked up within a few minutes and landed a nice 9 lb. female, no problems.  Until an hour later, when  I made a roll cast and the rod snapped in half just above the third snake guide above the ferrule.  This was the first time I had used the rod!  Well, I figured no big deal.  Albright has a "10 day, no hassle return policy", and being that this is the 7th day that the rod had been in my possession(let alone the first time I had used it) surely it would be covered under this policy and they would send me a new tip section.  I was saddly mistaken.  After a few emails and phone calls, during all of which I was given the run around and plenty of excuses, I was told by the CEO that I would have to send in a digital pic of the broken rod in order for them to sell me a new one at a discounted price of $44.99.  This was the best that they could do.  Discounted price????  If I had wanted to pay that much I would have just ordered another one off of the website!  Not only that, but he informed me that I needed to order a different 8-9 wt. to handle the stripers, that the 7-8 wt. wouldn't handle them.  I know for a fact that my fishing partner has been catching stripers for 4 years on a 7 wt. TFO with no problems, so this tells me that Albright products are of lesser quality and construction.  I will not be purchasing any more products from them, and will be telling everyone I know not to buy from Albright unless they want inferior equipment and non-existant customer service.  I have no respect for a company that won't back their products, and treats their customers like disposable napkins!  DO NOT BUY FROM ALBRIGHT!
    troutslammer
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 382
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/05/18 20:34:45 (permalink)
    did he just join today to tell us that ? well my wifes jeep commander had the tranny go out at 50,000 miles , are they all junk ? maybe , but i have talked to others with 100,000 miles on them and no problems , my jeep cherokee has 150,000 miles which half are off road hunting and fishing , did the tranny go out ? no , does this mean they are all good no ! everything anymore is mass produced because if they weren't most people couldn't afford them , some get a good rod from albright some get a bad one , sorry to hear about ur bad experience i got mine last christmas and it has been flawless and i don't wait for the weather to hit 50 degrees before i start fishing !!!
    bingsbaits
    Pro Angler
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/05/19 08:24:41 (permalink)
    Sorry for bad experience  "ckrich".
    So far I have no complaints about the rod.
    It easily surpasses my casting abilities..
    Let's hope that I don't have to test the warranty or customer service....
    post edited by bingsbaits - 2010/05/19 13:51:05

Cold
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 7358
    RE: Albright fly rods 2010/05/19 09:02:22 (permalink)

ORIGINAL: troutslammer

did he just join today to tell us that ?

And why not? He's just sharing his experience.
    Jump to: