Putnam Pond

Author
eagleed
Expert Angler
  • Total Posts : 425
  • Reward points: 0
2010/02/27 10:25:05 (permalink)

Putnam Pond

Stopped at Crossroads to fish Paradox and was told to try Putnam Pond when I was buying my bait.  They said the really nice pike are hitting on large suckers just across from the boat launch.  It is best to fish the width of the cove to the far side on your left with tip-ups spread across that cove about 15 yds apart.
When I tried it this year I only got two pike (both about 24") on my tip-ups and a few small perch jigging.  Lots of snow up that way, but ice is still nice and solid.  Last year I got that really hugh largemouth, but no such luck this year.
Fished with two guys from Whitehall that said the walleyes are finally staring to hit on South Bay.
One advantage I have is fishing during the week when the lakes are not as crowded.  Will give Paradox a try next week or maybe Brant Lake.  Was also going to try Loon Lake, but the guy at Crossroads said not much was going on there.

Eagle Ed
post edited by eagleed - 2010/02/27 10:27:35

14 Replies Related Threads

hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 6388
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/02/27 11:39:32 (permalink)
    good for you ed. didn't have to ask jimmy for directions this time ? we totally gave up on that place after fishing it this december & the last few years of hitting it hard summer & winter with little results of pike action unless you want a few bass or dink perch.. well at least you got the word out.. are there any good places we should know about ?
    the immortal words of bob marley.. stir it up, brother.
    post edited by hot tuna - 2010/02/27 11:44:39
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 250
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/02/28 04:53:48 (permalink)
    I read all sorts of horrible reports about that place on ice shanty ..... sounds like people have fished it out since everyone was saying how good it used to be .......... maybe the poor place was the victim of spot burning on the internet????

WHAT A SHAME!!
    Last Cast 69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/02/28 13:18:43 (permalink)
    If you want HUGE pike, go to putnam. Then catch 50 dink perch. And use them for bait at a different lake. True story.
    post edited by Last Cast 69 - 2010/02/28 15:07:24
    blitz42
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 258
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/02/28 14:59:08 (permalink)
    yeah if u love tiny perch go there. if u want pike even the dead sea is a better bet
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/03/01 21:10:36 (permalink)
    Could not believe that Putnam Pond could become that bad in a year, so back we went today.  Fished from 8:15 until 9:30 without a flag on tip-ups, but kept getting plenty of dink perch while jigging.  Finally we took Last Cast and Blitz's advice and switched to using the dink perch for bait.  WOW What a difference over the next five hours all we had were flags all over the place.  Ended up with eleven* pike (largest around 30") and five largemouths (one around 5 lbs.).  At 3:30 BINGO Big John hooked into and landed his first tiger musky.  It was only 35" long, but gave him quite a fight.  All fish were returned to the pond unharmed.  Toughest part was walking out in all that snow, but I guess the dead sea still has some life.
    Big John was so excited about his tiger musky that he has talked us into trying Horseshoe Lake next where he says the really big tiger muskies lurk.  Will let you know how we make out or if we go (depending on weather/ice).  Many thanks for the suggestion about using the dink perch for bait from Blitz and Last Cast.  That's the nice thing about this forum that you can always get some good advice from others that will help you have a great day.

Eagle Ed

*CORRECTION - Our returning group only got seven pike, as the other four were caught by two guys from Ticonderoga who joined us for the return trip.
    post edited by eagleed - 2010/03/02 08:35:04
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/03/01 21:50:52 (permalink)
    give me a break... you went there for the first time last year and caught 1 bass...
    you say, you went last week & caught pike.. now the story goes "Could not believe that Putnam Pond could become that bad in a year"
    Big John hooked into and landed his first tiger musky, but knows where the big tigers lurk...

Man sure sounds like a good fish story...
    Forget the camera again ?

post edited by hot tuna - 2010/03/01 23:40:27
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/03/02 06:43:26 (permalink)
    I am headed to Putnam as we speak .......  i'll post my results tonight .....  i'd be happy with 1 pike  ....... sure hope Ed is tellin the truth and not a fish tale!!
    backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/03/02 09:24:20 (permalink)
    Hey! It is only me! do not fear! come out of the boat and touch my new gander mt gortex rain parka! you of so little faith! ..swim! get up and SWIM I SAY!... Holy mosses ! it is sure melting fast here spring is in the air once again and all who enjoy the great american passtime will seek out their own favorite hotspots with plenty of game fishing for all.

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    eagleed
    Expert Angler
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/03/02 10:32:49 (permalink)
    backin:

Glad to hear you are getting the warmer weather and are prepared for the start of trout season in New Jersey.  When I lived in Pennsylvania I used to get a non-resident New Jersey license and fish the streams up above Hackettstown.  We also took time to visit the Trout Hatchery there and see all those hugh breeders.  Heard they had some problems there with pollution, so visitations were stopped.  Not sure if they have resumed, but it sure was fun back in the 70s.

Eagle Ed
    hot tuna
    Pro Angler
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/03/02 21:13:50 (permalink)
    well Ship called me last night and said after reading your report him and his buddy really wanted to fish Putnam.. I told him don't believe everything you read on the internet the place is dead.. but since I knew the area and didnt have anything else going on decided to go along anyway.. we get there and there are already a bunch of guys out there all set up on a dang tues no less .. hummm spot burn ... we talked to some guys who said nothing much going on. drilled a bunch of holes get our 15 tip-ups in (by now there are about 50 tip-ups out) then start jigging up dink perch which were easy to come by. Change a few baits from shiners & suckers to perch the wait..& wait & wait.. about 9:30 1 flag, yup a bass on shiner.. so that was it.. all day long 50 some tip-ups out and 1 flag seen fly with 1 bass put on the ice.. most of the other ppl packed it up around 1pm but we stuck it out until about 5pm with out any action besides easy jigging for dink size non keeper perch.. The guys asked what was up with this place .. I said I told you so.. don't believe everything you read on the internet.. the place sucks..

I'm sure Ship will fill in anything I missed..
    bassinbrian
    Expert Angler
    • Total Posts : 902
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/03/02 21:38:00 (permalink)
    That bites RJ ... i really wanted to make it out there with you guys but couldn't get the day off, guess i didn't miss anything  
    Either it really does suck there or over fished at this point.

B

backin79
    Pro Angler
    • Total Posts : 1582
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/03/02 23:28:34 (permalink)
    Ed, very warm today and all the snow is gone on the roofs here in nnj ,, it sure feels like the end of icefishing season in the southern regions. I am not going to let it get me down..a few more weekends and it's april opener. As for jersey and the hatchery in hacketstown, i use to fish all over and yes they sure stock big brookies which are far better eats even for hatchery fish then the browns.. but they are all good for the pan.. i may get me a license this year for nj troutin too! .. uf work doesn;t pick up, i may have to stay closer to home.. i never had credit debt and refuse to ever pay interest,, so if i'm not making mulla, i'm cutting back on trips upstate

stay out of the stock market /big brother is on the take
    Ship of Fools
    Avid Angler
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/03/03 06:47:18 (permalink)
    ORIGINAL: hot tuna

well Ship called me last night and said after reading your report him and his buddy really wanted to fish Putnam.. I told him don't believe everything you read on the internet the place is dead.. but since I knew the area and didnt have anything else going on decided to go along anyway.. we get there and there are already a bunch of guys out there all set up on a dang tues no less .. hummm spot burn ... we talked to some guys who said nothing much going on. drilled a bunch of holes get our 15 tip-ups in (by now there are about 50 tip-ups out) then start jigging up dink perch which were easy to come by. Change a few baits from shiners & suckers to perch the wait..& wait & wait.. about 9:30 1 flag, yup a bass on shiner.. so that was it.. all day long 50 some tip-ups out and 1 flag seen fly with 1 bass put on the ice.. most of the other ppl packed it up around 1pm but we stuck it out until about 5pm with out any action besides easy jigging for dink size non keeper perch.. The guys asked what was up with this place .. I said I told you so.. don't believe everything you read on the internet.. the place sucks..

I'm sure Ship will fill in anything I missed..

Well i have to say i had a great day despite not catching any fish .... what a beautiful spot ... and i didn't look at my flasher once so that is a victory in itself!

Wish i had a chance to fish it back when it was more of a secret spot and didn't get fished so heavily .... oh well the internet giveth (lots of new friends) and the internet taketh (loss of spots due to spot burning on the net)

I also read a rumor on the net that stripers come all the way to troy to spawn .... anybody have a spot to fish???
    Last Cast 69
    Avid Angler
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Putnam Pond 2010/03/03 15:40:45 (permalink)
    well im glad you found that advice helpful. was meant to be a joke though on how dead putnam tends to be. That 50 tipup no fish day sounds familiar.. oh wait. exactly what happened last year. wish i had fished it in its golden days, too bad i wasnt born then.
    Jump to: